Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 13:25   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Galveston to Panama

We are thinking about making this passage. Would love to hear from those who have knowledge knowledge about it. We will be in a Tayana 37 and would like to leave next November or December.
Lesterbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 15:57   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
I would be interested in your route from Galveston, since that is my sailing grounds. Maybe down to Mexico, and follow the coast on down? I'm not sure what is the preferred route during that time of the year.

I just did a trip from Florida to Cartagena, Colombia last May. Once we got to Miami, we provisioned and left from there. We went south of the Bahamas and did the Windward Passage around Cuba. We were planning on Panama, but forced to Colombia by SW winds. It was a memorable trip, and hope to repeat it in the future.

Is Panama your destination, or are you going through the Canal on your way to somewhere?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 16:02   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I'm interested as well. Without knowing much about sailing the Gulf re:weather and current at that time I know that I would NOT hug the coast just now with the violence along the border. I;d head to Isla Mujeres before doing any coastal sailing. Have friends who live in Isla Mujeres who have had no issues what so ever. Have other friends along the Texas/Mexico border near Brownsville and its a bit hairier...
Mimsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 16:18   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Hi Mimsy. To be a bit more clear, I meant to say cruising down the coast after Isla Mujerez. I would head straight there, maybe from Port Aransas. I have a friend in Rockport leaving possibly tomorrow for Belize. That is basically what he is doing.

For our trip, we left from Jacksonville Fl., so a bit different than leaving from Galveston. Just wondering what the OP is planning?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 16:19   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Gotcha. That makes sense to me as well.
Mimsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 19:13   #6

Boat: Tayana 37
We thought about the direct crossing to Isla Mujerez and then coasting to the San Blas Islands. It sounds like we are all thinking the same thing. Our boat is berthed at Legend Point Marina in Kemah. Maybe someone here would like to buddy boat down. I'm sure it will be right after Christmas before we cross the Gulf.
Lesterbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 19:49   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesterbranch View Post
I'm sure it will be right after Christmas before we cross the Gulf.
You will probably have to face the Christmas winds of the Caribbean then. Reaching the NE point of Honduras will be the toughest part. I would recommend to attempt this at the turn of the seasons or even early hurricane season.

If you have time you can even consider to make your easting through the Bahamas before turning south. My preferred route across the Caribbean Sea during the reinforced tradewinds would be from Port Antonio (NE) in Jamaica straight to Porvenir in the San Blas. It'll be lively enough.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 13:02   #8

Boat: Piver, Mariner 26, Serena Salida
From Galveston area, you could make passage SW (540 n.m.) down to Puerto Yukalpeten yacht harbor (near Progreso), then coast hop ENE along the N shore of Yucatan, round Catoche to the Isla Mujeres area. Then head down the Yucatan Channel to Belize, Rio Dulce, Roatan, wherever. Yes, it's tough getting around Cabo Gracias a Dios. ... Or, if you're really in cruise mode, perhaps you would want to coast hop from Galveston S down to Rio Tuxpan and Veracruz, then cross E (340 n.m.) to Celestun nature park (flamingoes) in Campeche, then up to Puerto Yukalpeten. ... November is usually a good time to work eastward in the Gulf of Mexico and Western Caribbean, because the easterly Trade Winds are not yet fully back in force after the end of hurricane season. By January, Feb and March they can be full blast. My cruising guidebook "Cruising Ports: the Central American Route" will be out in its 7th edition this spring, and it covers all these routes and destinations, including Panama. Have fun!
Pat Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 15:47   #9

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Good advice above. I'd leave on a mild norther, and get as much easting as you can, before the winds clock back around to the se/sse. I can tell you that taking a norther from Texas can be more than a bit uncomfortable - but at least you aren't beating. North winds versus southeast waves...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama