Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 04:59   #31

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Getting back from Newfoundland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
It surprises me that you would have to pay any tax to store your boat in Canada-except perhaps 15% HST on the storage fee of $600 = $90
All goods & services in Canada,other than food & a few other items, are subject to 15% sales tax.
My understanding is that foreigners can get a rebate of any sales tax paid while in Canada.
Also,at present,a $US is worth about $1.30 Cdn
It really wouldn't make sense if you were to have some (minor?) work done while it was stored. Our shipyards/marine services would be up in arms about the potential loss of foreign business I would think.
Could be wrong-please elaborate.

Cheers/ Len
See Travellers - Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents

Some excerpts:
Quote:
Temporarily leaving a vessel in Canada for repair or storage

If you wish to leave your vessel in Canada for repair or storage at the end of the boating season, or if you wish to import your vessel strictly for those services, you or your agent, must provide the CBSA with the following information:
  • The work order with details of vessel repairs to be carried out, or the agreement for the vessel storage, or both, if applicable;
  • Both the work order and/or storage agreement must show the expected completion date; and
  • The documents must also indicate where the vessel will be located.
The vessel will be documented on form E29B and a refundable security deposit may be required.
The maximum vessel retention period in Canada without the payment of duty or taxes is normally 12 months for storage and 18 months for repair. Extensions may be possible. While in Canada for repair or storage, the vessel may not be used for leisure or any commercial enterprise; it may not be sold or leased/rented, and it must be exported upon completion.
At the end of the storage period or once your vessel is repaired, it may not be returned back to leisure use or remain in Canada at the end of the CBSA authorization period. Once your vessel is removed from the storage or repair facility, it must be exported.
There may be some wiggle room in the interpretation of "export". I suppose you could argue that taking a couple of months to sail back to the U.S. is "export".

Quote:
Alternative to Temporary Importation

For unlimited use of your vessel in Canada and access to Canadian repair and storage facilities without any restrictions or authorization from the CBSA, you may choose to import the vessel on a permanent basis and pay the applicable duty and taxes.
The following rates apply for import purposes:
  • duty rate ranging from 0% to 9.5% depending on the country of manufacture of the vessel;
  • up to 6% duty on motors used by pleasure craft, if applicable; and
  • 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST) on the value for duty.
Vessels manufactured in the United States, Canada and Mexico are duty-free but are still subject to the GST.
Upon permanent importation, you may also consider licensing the vessel with Transport Canada. For more information please consult the Transport Canada website.
Old 17-02-2016, 05:10   #32

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
See Travellers - Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents

Some excerpts:
There may be some wiggle room in the interpretation of "export". I suppose you could argue that taking a couple of months to sail back to the U.S. is "export".
Thanks Mark. I wasn't aware of this. Still wondering about the "logic" behind "must export" after storage/repairs. Must be an attempt to prevent a Canadian from "borrowing" a foreign un-taxed vessel or some such BS.
Guess he could visit St Pierre & return to Nfld maybe?
I will look into this thru my Fed MP.

Cheers/ Len
Old 17-02-2016, 05:25   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Thanks Mark. I wasn't aware of this. Still wondering about the "logic" behind "must export" after storage/repairs. Must be an attempt to prevent a Canadian from "borrowing" a foreign un-taxed vessel or some such BS.
Guess he could visit St Pierre & return to Nfld maybe?
I will look into this thru my Fed MP.
I read it differently...it says you can keep your boat in Canada for 12 months before all those other regs/taxes come into play.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 05:34   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ This Canadian situation was caused by, and the current 'interpretation' is designed to prevent, Americans keeping their boats up in Canada 'forever' without ever importing them or paying tax.

In the bras do'r lakes (just for example) there was a yard that essentially specialized in doing exactly that. And in the 'old' interpretation is was fine so long as you got just a little work done each winter. I was told (don't know for sure it is true) that a Canadian yard got pissed off and complained to the government, causing the current situation (which really is not a win for anyone).

as to sailing back from Newfoundland . . . I have done it perhaps a half dozen times and mostly had excellent sailing. But I am willing to wait for weather. About every 10 days you will get a 2 days favorable wind. You just sit somewhere nice and wait, then go as far as you can in the window and stop somewhere else nice . . .and repeat. I typically got down Nova Scotia in one go, and waited in shelborne, and then got to Block Island in one go, and then waited and got to the Ches Bay in a 3rd go. It is helpful to be willing to motor in zero winds to take full advantage of those windows.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 05:35   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It really hurt the marina in Baddeck in the Bra dOr lakes as a bunch of Americans kept there boats there.

Met a German guy in Lewisporte before this enforcement took effect. He sailed to Greenland single handed and was heading back to Germany but got caught in a 7ish day gale. Wore out he made it to Lewisporte. He had to meet all these requirements to leave the boat and was relieved to find he has to have his cutlass bearing replaced.

But since then they they have been much more stringently enforcing these regs.

May it will change with Trudeau.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 05:47   #36

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I read it differently...it says you can keep your boat in Canada for 12 months before all those other regs/taxes come into play.
A US boat can be stored in Canada "after the boating season ends" but a customs form must be filed & the boat cannot be put back into ANY use at end of storage. "It must be exported"
That is my interpretation of what Ziggy posted.

Ridiculous-IMHO.

Would an American have to take their Canadian cottage & contents,etc back across the border every spring also??

Cheers/ Len
Old 18-02-2016, 08:11   #37

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboak View Post
Sailed New England to Nova Scotia for years and dreamed of getting to Newfoundland ... in a Triton (quite familiar with the boat) a trip this summer heading down east will be quite an adventure especially once you get to the Bay of Fundy and on to Nova Scotia ...
In 2010 I took a 28 footer single-handed from New Jersey to the south coast of Newfoundland, cruised the south coast for a few weeks, and then returned to NJ without too much effort and some time in hand. Left out Boston just after July 4th, direct to Shelburne NS. The itinerary included as many offshore multi-day legs as possible, running the Nova Scotia south coast from Shelburne direct to Canso outbound, then to the French Islands via Louisbourg. Also sailed from Canso direct to Shelburne on the return leg, and then from Shelburne offshore to New Bedford (via the canal). Bedford was chosen to clear in due to imminent severe weather.

My point is that if actually getting to Newfoundland and spending some time there is the priority, it can be done short-handed on a small yacht without a herculean effort. Radar, AIS, GPS, self-steerers, autopilots, etc. did nothing to diminish the event (smile).
Old 18-02-2016, 09:16   #38

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Considering too the single handing and my relatively primitive radar situation, I'd really like to avoid icebergs entirely. How would I do that?
Stay on the south coast is your best chance of avoiding ice if that is all important. The earlier in june you are, if you decide to head up the straits, the more chances you have of incountering ice bergs, slob, bergy bits, whatever. May, Jun can still have lots of north winds which will carry ice down the strait so i think if you wait out till july you should be fairly safe, although these things can only be determined at that time.
As Nortonscove mentioned its the little bits that you don't see!! Iceberg ice can be very jagged and just as hard as granit.

FYI, Environment canada puts out very detailed ice charts.
https://www.ec.gc.ca/glaces-ice/

I don't think there is anything wrong with your original time frame, just don't try to take in too much as there is alot of coast line, more than you think.
Hit the south and West coast, allow for weather and smelling the roses.

Can't remember if anyone mentioned ground tackle, what do you have for anchoring?
One other thing to mention, if you do decide to head up the Quebec/ Labrador side of the coast and you should, take lots of mosquito repellent and ensure you have good screens on your boat. Its not the ice that will kill you its the Labrador mosquitos and/or Black flies!!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:59   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

Good thread for me as we're planning to sail out the St. Lawrence to Lewisporte this season, starting from near the Thousand Islands. I've only speced out the journey in a very rough way, but I certainly plan to take as much time as possible, exploring the river and Rock.

(nicholson31/hpeer, expect to be getting some PMs from me soon )
Old 18-02-2016, 13:01   #40

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Great thread for me too, convinced me to only go as far north as Casco bay during my two months this summer. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 16:18   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think Kerry hit the nail in the head in his above post. Run hard to get there then talk your time on the way back.
Old 26-02-2016, 11:29   #42

Boat: Outbound 44

We're headed to Newfoundland this year too. Wondering what the Check-in requirements are for going from NFLD to St. Pierre and then back to NFLD... can't believe that some of the Outports in NFLD are entry ports are they??

Expecting to arrive on the South coast towards the end of June and spend 6 weeks there before heading back to RI via Cape Breton and Nova Scotia...
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:03   #43

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
... Check-in requirements are for going from NFLD to St. Pierre and then back to NFLD... can't believe that some of the Outports in NFLD are entry ports are they?? ...
Do you rather mean heading from NS (Cape Breton) to the French Islands, and thence to NFLD? If so, you will have to check in with the French authorities in St. Pierre, and then later back in Canada in NFLD (CA territory). From the French Islands I suggest running over to Grand Banks which is an easy small harbor with quite helpful officials. All of the ports of entry are listed on the relevant web page.

This is a really neat trip and if you don't enjoy it then consider a serious reexamination of priorities.
Old 26-02-2016, 17:53   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, a great trip.

The clear into St Pierre is straight forward. You pull in, hoist the yellow and wait for the authorities to show up. Very pleasant and professional chaps.

I have cleared back in at Fortune, near enough to Geand Banks and they enjoyed an excuse to take a drive. Once I cleared back in at Port A Basque, they weren't keen on that. Had to send someone down from Corner Brook I think. 5 hours each way? Another time I cleared in at St Peters, that was no issue.
Old 27-02-2016, 05:27   #45

Boat: Outbound 44

That all sounds pretty easy - thanks!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland