Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 05:40   #1

Getting back from Newfoundland?

I'm planning s trip to Newfoundland this summer. Leaving Baltimore on June 1st. I'd like to be back at work Sept 1 if possible.

Getting up there doesn't seem to be a great achievement, but is getting back going to be as bad as it seems? It seems like it will be almost 100% on the nose for the whole trip back.

I was pondering leaving the boat in Nova Scotia for a month or two and then returning in the fall to catch some more northerly wind but that's not ideal in any way.

Ideas please?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 06:18   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: Getting back from Newfoundland?

Sully,

Just an idea, how about a four day passage to Maine and leave your boat here. You can use the boat easily for the fall without customs issues, then have it hauled for the winter and you will be ready for another summer of northeast gunkholing.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 06:40   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
I'm planning s trip to Newfoundland this summer. Leaving Baltimore on June 1st. I'd like to be back at work Sept 1 if possible.

Getting up there doesn't seem to be a great achievement, but is getting back going to be as bad as it seems? It seems like it will be almost 100% on the nose for the whole trip back.

I was pondering leaving the boat in Nova Scotia for a month or two and then returning in the fall to catch some more northerly wind but that's not ideal in any way.

Ideas please?

It will be mostly upwind, but you will get some days of NW breeze when you can make very good progress. It's not like the trades. Even with the prevailing southwesterlies, it can be very pleasant sailing. I'd just plan on relatively short day hops going back. There are plenty of good harbors along the way where you can stop overnight.
Old 14-02-2016, 06:40   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post

===

We'll be doing more or less the same thing on the return leg from doing the Down East Loop. My plan is to spend a few days at Prince Edward Island, a few more in the Bras d'Or Lakes, and then harbor hop south down the coast of Nova Scotia before heading over to Maine. From Maine south is familiar territory for us and we'll eventually end up in P-town, the Cape Cod Canal, and Long Island Sound. The winds in August tend to be on the light side so seas will not be a big problem most days.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 06:49   #5

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510

I'm from Nova Scotia and have sailed to Northern Labrador, around Newfoundland and up from N.C to Nova Scotia in 2015.

From my experience:
- Come Sept. 1 in Newfoundland and a little later in Nova Scotia, it's like someone hit the switch to change seasons. In general wind speeds are higher, more Small Craft Warnings and Gales. This region usually has several Tropical Storms (left over from Hurricanes coming up from US) and an occasional hurricane.
- The winds have more strength as the air is colder.
- Regardless, I'd recommend you have a heater.

Suggestions:
- Get to Newfoundland as fast as you can and allow time for a leisurely transit back. That way you can play tourist in Nova Scotia and New England as you wait out weather. If you are early on the return, there's great places t explore in Maine.
- After Newfoundland, go as far as you can before leaving your boat. It's much easier, to get to your boat is it was in New England than Nova Scotia or Newfoundland (BUS, airlines, Amtrak, car). Also being closer means you could do the return whenever you have a block of time. The downside is the costs of marinas.
- Only go as far as Maine. The Maine coast from Freeport to Mount desert Island is as rigged as Newfoundland and more islands. The difference is evidence of people. The South coast of Newfound is a few small communities and a whole lot of Mother Nature.Be sure to visit Francois, Newfoundland.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.57941.../data=!3m1!1e3

If you are on the East side of the South Coast of Newfoundland you can hop over to France. It's only 20 miles or so from the nearest Canadian port . https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.94634.../data=!3m1!1e3

If you are going to cruise Maine, I'd recommend: "A cruising Guide to the Maine Coast" by Hank and Jan Taft and Curtis Rindlaub.
For cruising guides for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland: Pilot Press - Cruising Guides to Newfoundland, Labrador, Nova Scotia and the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
And there's:
- Canada's Sailing Directions CHS - Sailing Directions
- for free charts of US waters the the Pilot guides Interactive Catalog

PS for a thrilling sight, anchor between the Statue Of Liberty and Ellis Island. It's very rough from all the tour board but quite a view of the statue and the Manhattan sky line (especially at night)
Old 14-02-2016, 08:13   #6

It is very cold and foggy unless a northerly is coming thru then it is just cold , radar and a full cockpit enclosure are musts. It is a challenge but something you will never forget. Good luck.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:25   #7

Boat: Swan 48 MKII

I do this trip annually in my Swan 48. We are home ported in Southern Chesapeake Bay. The conclusion of mine time in Newfoundland usually ends at Port aux Basque from where I go across Cabot Strait and into Bras d'Or Lakes for 4 days of R&R. I leave St. Peters Canal at the South end (nice marina there) and sail a day trip to Liscomb and anchor (85 miles) and then to Halifax next day (87 miles). After Halifax spend several days in Mahone Bay (5 hours sail) and then go to Shelburne (near tip of Nova Scotia and pick a crossing time (3 days) to Marblehead. After Marblehead hit the Cape Cod Canal (1/2 day) and then roll down to Newport or Block Island. From there to Cape May and the Delaware River is 2 days.

All of the stopping points I have mentioned are delightful places. I generally do this trip double or single-handed and work my way back at end of August. While the prevailing breeze is SW there are some good easterlies, the occasional NW and a number of days when it is so calm you need to motor.

Have fun!
Airville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:34   #8

Boat: Custom 55

Hello,

We were just up there last summer, and made the trip back in late August. I think that we arrived in Portland, ME on about 9/5.

We will be up there again this summer, we liked the place so much.

Last summer was apparently a little more active than usual on the weather front, with winds from around the compass all summer, and an unusual number of gales, so next year might not equate to what we experienced.

A few observations.

1. Upwind sailing can be avoided, but you have to be a little patient and be prepared to make a lot of miles when conditions are right. For example, on the way back from NL, we caught a strong ESE associated with a low and rode it for all it was worth, making the passage from the eastern part of the 'fjord coast' all the way to Halifax on a reach. It was a glorious sail, even if we couldn't see past the bow for any of it.

2. With this in mind, you will have to leave Newfoundland pretty early to make it back to the Chesapeake by 9/1. It would be challenging to try to make the passage down there non-stop and not be beating for a good portion of it. We went from Shelburne straight to Portland, waited a few days, then on to Newport, where we waited for another week, then we went direct to Norfolk from there. This is about as few a number of stops as you're likely to be able to make if you want to play the weather patterns to get south. Maybe you'll get lucky and not have to play the weather, or maybe you don't mind upwind sailing. We tend to try to avoid it.

3. You'll love it up there. Really spectacular. I second the good dodger and some heat suggestion. But, the wind, fog, and cold do a fine job of keeping the crowds away (we saw maybe 8 boats up there all summer), and that really is part of the appeal, isn't it?

Enjoy. PM me if you would like to find out who we are and get more info if you would like.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:43   #9

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I've been sailing the coast of NS for more than 40 years. All I will say is that this is a very tight schedule unless you have a very fast boat. The summer weather has not been settled for the last few years and we are affected every summer by at least one tropical storm. From my home port to Baltimore is 900 nm, and it ain't easy ( I've done it in a 30ft boat)If you can go direst from say, Shelburne, to the Cape Cod canal you will save at least a week on the passage south
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 09:12   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A friend did that trip 2 summers ago (going to PEI for the festivities). The return trip in September was tough. Like you said, all on the nose. Upwind, against the current. All motoring.

Your profile doesn't show the model or size of your boat. However, I read a great article about the exact same issue a few years back. The solution in that article was to enjoy the sail downwind, then bring the boat back by truck. Although trucking may seem expensive at first, when you consider the cost of fuel, the wear on your engine (and crew), and the time saved, it actually is quite reasonable. I would think you would need to get from NFLD back to the mainland first though.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 15:44   #11

Boat: Catalina 30
Getting back from Newfoundland?

Be sure to stop in and visit us at the Lahave River Yacht club ,

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Peters Wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 18:31   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I've done it twice. Slow slogging, lots of motor sailing/motoring.

With new Canadian tax enforcement over wintering your boat there is not really an option.

I made the jump going up from Delaware City C&D canal to Shelbourne in 7days non stop. A nice trip.

Coming back I jumped from Shelbourne to Marblehead twice. Keeps you out of the Fundy extreme tides and currents.

Do go to St Pierre, take the local tour to Miqueleon.

Being a dual US/Canadian we have the perfect answer. Two boats, on Canadian to be left in Lewisporte for summer sailing, one US for southern waters. Fly back and forth.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 20:03   #13

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I recommend listening to Peter loveridge' advice. He wrote the book on this coast. Literally.

It is still the best damn cruising guide to the NS coast, bar none. And fun reading too.

... And we'll be there at the same time too, but we only need to make it back to Halifax by the start of school...

Enjoy- maybe we'll cross tacks along the way.

Bg

NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 08:32   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
I've been sailing the coast of NS for more than 40 years. All I will say is that this is a very tight schedule unless you have a very fast boat. The summer weather has not been settled for the last few years and we are affected every summer by at least one tropical storm. From my home port to Baltimore is 900 nm, and it ain't easy ( I've done it in a 30ft boat)If you can go direst from say, Shelburne, to the Cape Cod canal you will save at least a week on the passage south
Pete, you old water rat. Nice to "see" you again. Pete "wrote the book" on NS cruising so heed his words.

Best,
Armond
Old 15-02-2016, 17:57   #15

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

This popped up on my F book & I am passing it along. Enjoy your trip!

The 10 Best Restaurants In Newfoundland & Labrador

Cheers/ Len

Tags
newfoundland