Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 18:27   #31

Boat: Monk 36
Re: Great Bahama Bank overnight

Last time I went to Nassau I was running a 52' MY around 1990 to a dealer show.
Mid-January 2016 "plans" are to leave Ft. Lauderdale (because of incoming flights) and head to West End, over to Great Sale Cay and down to Abacos, eventually hitting Marsh Harbor to send family back to the States. Is there a place in West End to check in?

This on a Leopard 40 sailing cat. (or motoring if you follow other threads on CF).

I know it's dangerous to ask opinions, but I'm a sucker, so go for it.
Or suggestions. And time frames, assuming reasonable weather, but not counting on it.

Thanks.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 21:13   #32

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
How big is that?
Big enough to cause our bowsprit to almost submerge (in fact it did many times) with 150 feet of chain out in 15-18 feet of water!

It was very uncomfortable.

The point is, do not count on Riding Rocks or anywhere on the bank to be tenable.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 00:39   #33

There was when I last was there.
Some people choose to sail on and clear in Green Turtle.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:02   #34

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Last time I went to Nassau I was running a 52' MY around 1990 to a dealer show.
Mid-January 2016 "plans" are to leave Ft. Lauderdale (because of incoming flights) and head to West End, over to Great Sale Cay and down to Abacos, eventually hitting Marsh Harbor to send family back to the States. Is there a place in West End to check in?

This on a Leopard 40 sailing cat. (or motoring if you follow other threads on CF).

I know it's dangerous to ask opinions, but I'm a sucker, so go for it.
Or suggestions. And time frames, assuming reasonable weather, but not counting on it.

Thanks.
You will have to deal with "northers" rolling in this could potentially make you wait in one of several places on your way to marsh harbor. Whale cay cut is one of them. But your family could always take a ferry over and then a long cab ride to the airport . yes you can clear in at west end (just inside the marina bldgs on the right) and then do north around easy day sail or motor to great sale cay. How much time do your, and your family have?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
You will have to deal with "northers" rolling in this could potentially make you wait in one of several places on your way to marsh harbor. Whale cay cut is one of them. But your family could always take a ferry over and then a long cab ride to the airport . yes you can clear in at west end (just inside the marina bldgs on the right) and then do north around easy day sail or motor to great sale cay. How much time do your, and your family have?

There is a way around without having to go through Whale Cay Cut. I have not done it myself but I have seen the Aubrins ferry take it.

Its almost abut to Whale Cay... its skinny and it looks like a lot of maneuvering but its possible. Kind of like doing the devils backbone.

I have also seen sport fishers go right over the ridge and spoke to several at Treasure Cay that indicated that they "do it every day." I have no idea what the draft is on those guys.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:07   #36

Yes the shortcut is there but it also is subjected to the effects of the swell. You need to draw 3ft or less and have no swell. And be able to see the bottom.

Old 02-09-2015, 15:30   #37

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Are you talking about the don't rock passage? Was recently there and some South African cruisers I met in a lagoon 440 did it. Transiting at high, they said six feet was as low as they saw and were perfectly willing to guide my five feet through. I have to admit I may have indulged a bit much the night before though and didn't wake up for the tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 15:44   #38

Yes, didn't run as there was a moderate swell and when we approached it seemed the swell impacted the passage. We pushed on thru the main cut , wasnt too bad and spoke to a guy on a trawler that said he bottomed out trying to go thru and he drew 3' 9ish. I'm guessing with a good ride there's plenty of water

Old 03-09-2015, 03:11   #39

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

That sounds right. I pulled out my guide and it said not to take the don't rock in any kind of swell. The whale cay cut was so easily navigable when I was there, and didn't add many miles, that it was an easy decision to take it instead.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 13:16   #40

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
If I may suggest another route. We use this all the time because I'm not fond of either West End or Indian Cay Channel.

Ft Lauderdale to Memory Rock, then on to Mangrove Cay, Great Sale Cay, to Spanish Cay. Check in at Spanish, but call before going in because I heard that they had suspended clearing there for a while but have since resumed it. If not then check in at Green Turtle Cay.

The entrance on to the banks is actually about two miles south of Memory Rock. Both Explorer Charts and the Dodge Guide show the correct waypoint.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 13:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Are you talking about the don't rock passage? Was recently there and some South African cruisers I met in a lagoon 440 did it. Transiting at high, they said six feet was as low as they saw and were perfectly willing to guide my five feet through. I have to admit I may have indulged a bit much the night before though and didn't wake up for the tide.

no... there is another passage just south of whale cay. Almost against the island.

There is the don't rock passage as well.
Old 03-09-2015, 13:32   #42

Boat: Monk 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Ft Lauderdale to Memory Rock, then on to Mangrove Cay, Great Sale Cay, to Spanish Cay. Check in at Spanish, but call before going in because I heard that they had suspended clearing there for a while but have since resumed it. If not then check in at Green Turtle Cay.
Thanks for that. I was looking into that path. Seems many folks do not care for West End, and who am I to doubt experience? Apparently clearing in at Spanish is a $50 service fee additional at the marina for the convenience. Anyone have experience with the marina and costs?

Paper Explorer charts should be here any day. Wasn't planning on electronic for the Raymarine chartplotter.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:21   #43

West end in May had the absolutely nicest customs people ever and they even stayed late for us and 2 other boats. You pull right up to the wall right in front of their office , even though the marina was full due to a holiday they allowed us to dump trash etc and everyone was super nice

Old 03-09-2015, 14:29   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
no... there is another passage just south of whale cay. Almost against the island.
Wifey asked about going that way, when we got closer and saw whitewater that made our choice, looking it on the charts I wouldn't risk it and if the cut were too rough that spot might be dangerous....

Old 03-09-2015, 15:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Wifey asked about going that way, when we got closer and saw whitewater that made our choice, looking it on the charts I wouldn't risk it and if the cut were too rough that spot might be dangerous....

I would not either. I see the ferries take it.