Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:34   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Re: Great Lakes to the Caribbean !

Challenges included:
what to do with our mast, 67' long on a 42' boat. We trucked it from Crowleys to Turner. I would not recommend more than 5' of overhang bow & stern.
anchorages, we draw 5'6" anything over about 4' can be challenging if the water levels are low. And it was a dry summer/fall so we did struggle to find anchorages. But we did make it OK.
fuel, there is a 250 mile stretch of no fuel. Make sure you have the capacity. A lot of it is downstream but...
pick up one of the guidebooks, like waterway guide. Definately not a complete source of info but very good to have aboard.
tows, they're big. Learn how to communicate with them and with the locks, properly. We saw lots of boats struggle with basic radio comms.
join the great loop association, AGLCA. You can buy used charts & books there and get a lot of good info.

Enjoy it, we thought it was great.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:26   #17

Boat: Stevens 47

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your response. How long did it take you from Chicago to the Gulf?

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18   #18

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

On the New York bargeway, there's a length limit.

I wonder if the "length" includes the long mast on board?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17   #19

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Zero To Cruising | Fun-loving couple sailing the Caribbean on their catamaran these guys made a similar trip. I would suggest taking the canal. It is some of the most laid back cruising that there is. Free tie ups pretty much the whole way!
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I have done the Erie route, the Champlain route and the St Lawrence route from Lake Ontario. Couple of considerations:
- many cruisers aim to be in Annapolis for the boat show; this timing works well with most insurance requirements to be north of Hatteras until Nov 1st (check your policy there are differences)
- the St Lawrence is the best from a cruising perspective but you do need to be self-sufficient for a good chunk of it. Radar is a must in much of this area. Highlights for us: Quebec City, Magdalen Islands, Newfoundland, Bras d'Or Lakes, parts of Maine. We have cruised almost 20,000 miles and I don't think anything we have seen has rivalled the spectacular cruising grounds of Newfoundland.
- if you are going to go the St Lawrence route you want an early start so that you get as much time as possible for cruising in that area. Fall comes quickly so you can't stretch it too late.
- Welland and Seaway locks downbound and not hard at all. Might want three people, but two can do it (downbound only).
- We did the Erie a couple of times with a Nonsuch 30 with a 50' mast. because of the taper we had only about 5' sticking out at the bow and 15' or so at the sterm. Not a big issue, you just have to be aware that the overhang is there when making a tight turn.

Either way you will have a great time.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 22:52   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Thanks for the info, I appreciate your response. How long did it take you from Chicago to the Gulf?

gunk
25 days underway, 6 weeks total. Add in some time at Crowleys in Chicago to pull the mast (they work fast) and more time at Turner (pace is a bit slower, but very inexpensive).
This was in October, running in daylight only. Excellent weather, only 2 rain days.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41   #22
Marine Service Provider

We found having the waterway guide book pretty handy. It's not complete, nothing is. But a very good resource for marinas, anchorages, fuel, how to use the locks, how to deal with the tows.
nice to have the book open at the helm as we travelled along.
cell signal is good 95% of the time 1x service about 70% but 3g maybe only 50% or less. So don't rely on having internet for info.
best up to date info is from locals at marinas, fuel docks, lockmasters and cruisers just ahead of you.
Old 15-09-2018, 06:20   #23

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

2018 Lake Ontario/ICW latest date
Based upon current weather guesses/hurricane projections/ICW closing/water levels/etc

What would be the consensus of the latest "decent trip" date to head South thru the ICW (Oswego etc) this year.

Thanks

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 16:42   #24

THere is a Youtube vbloger doing Canadian side out erie, down ICW to the Caribbean. Lady K.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWj...CV1Aqt5Xki8g8A I think I have seen them on the fourm.

Tags
Caribbean, great lakes