Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 09:16   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tashing, Panda, 38
Re: Green Cove Springs to St. Augustine

Make sure you purchase either Sea Tow or boat US towing. They are also a good source for local knowledge.
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:21   #32

I think it's called the Sisters creek free dock. It's nice and has water last time we were there. Try to go in on a falling tide as that will make it easier to dock. Quite a few people fishing off that dock at times which makes it tricky!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:49   #33

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
There is also free dockage by the Hart bridge in downtown Jacksonville in Metropolitan Park. The tide is important to note in downtown. The river goes from 2-3 miles wide to a thousand feet and so the tide can really rip through there. We looked at the marina downtown and a sailboat literally can't dock against the current. Try to be at low or high tide through that section.

The railroad bridge is almost always open. Unusual for it to be an issue.

Neither have any services, but a cleat.
I guess these things are subject to change, but when we stayed at the free dock in the Metro Park marina, there was power. IIRC, there was also a pumpout, but don't imagine that would be necessary after 1 day. It's a bit remote, but the firefighting museum was good. The floating docks alongside the bulkhead just west of the Alsop (Main St) bridge used to be free. Maybe worth checking out, as close to restaurants, shops etc.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 10:20   #34

You already sound you are prepared. No need to overthink it. No worries !!! I have done the same trip three times (and one of the times, I was all by myself without any help for two days). You will have no issues, if you take the ICW and stay IN the channel (THE KEY IS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU STAY IN THE CHANNEL !!!!, and to anchor close enough the channel but out of traffic, in an inlet that has deep water when you do). I would strongly urge you NOT to anchor in the ICW river between JAX and St. Augustine. As far as preparations, ANY basic map of St. John's and ICW to St. Augustine (e.g. from West Marine) has more info than you will ever need. I would spend overnight at JAX at anchor somewhere before the downtown area, if possible. It would be cool for you and your family to dock at the Mall on your port side (it's right before the Green Metal Downtown Bridge) and have lunch or dinner on the 2nd Story Restaurant's balcony overlooking your boat (it's a good feeling for a first-time boat-to-restaurant-experience after years on the hard). It will be something to remember and to look forward to for future such opportunities. As far as safety for the trip, "The ONLY" things to watch for in the ICW and within St. Johns as well (AND especially, at night) is for traffic... There are folks who speed like mad with smaller craft and no lights and come out at you out of nowhere and may even be drunk. Beware also that there are a couple of huge Oil Barges running every day back and forth along the river and the ICW. These are monster barge boats that creep up at you awfully quietly and their nav lights are at times hard to see as there may be surrounding lights from shore or heavy rain. Get out of the way, as the barges have no ability to avoid you and cannot stop in time (YOU MUST STAY VIGILANT for they may come at you fast and you will NOT hear them. So, you need to be checking constantly all around and especially forward and aft !!! Again, my first time, it was 2am and a very heavy downpour and I could not see for more than 20 ft past my bow (and had no radar) so I was on purpose staying barely outside the channel going dead slow, when a HUGE MONSTER barge came out of nowhere on my starboard heading right at me (I saw a 'black tower' coming out of the rain and both its green and red nav lights starring at me) no more than my boat's length (like 40 ft) away. In the rain and in the pitch dark, it was tense (a 2am wake up call !!!). It just suddenly came out of the night's thick rain and blew its horn at me --which was in itself traumatic, for it was a loud sound one can never forget. Had I not been where I was, he would have cut me in two. I wonder if he had seen me ahead of time. The entire thing lasted less than 20 seconds before he was gone... I am NOT trying to scare you. I am trying to let you know that things happen very fast and you must be on alert all the time. Here is a word of advice. Just in case you end up becoming tired (it will be more difficult to start figuring things out then) .... so... plan ahead now with your charts... on the various possible places you could safely anchor along the way (something like 15 miles from either side of where you plan to overnight ... and this will give you more choices), try to have a good three day weather window before you set off, and start as early as possible, so that you can anchor safely well before dark). Last thing... There are shallows outside the channel in most places and especially straight past the big St. Augustine Bridge (immediately after the passage channel to the ocean inlet (but it is soft muck). There is a lot of traffic at both the JAX and St. Augustine inlets and if you have to wait for the bridges to open, try to stay in the channel or as close as possible. There are also oyster bed shallows to be aware about ... they are pretty much everywhere along the way in the ICW that get exposed at low tide, and they are nasty for your bottom. Let my mishaps be to your advantage, for I draw 3.4 ft and I was stupidly "brave" before I learned my lesson NOT to venture out of the channel. I made a huge mistake the first time through, and got stuck on the mud in low tide in the ICW in front of some very nice waterfront homes for more than half a day after anchoring for the night (when we woke up in the morning our 42 ft cat had turned around and was completely on the dry river bed (thick muck!!!) and had to be towed (we tried for hours kedging and even several good Samaritans pulling us, but we could not move the boat). Really, you will have NO issues if you just follow your chart, stay in the channel, and watch out for traffic. Make sure you have a basic late edition chart, good binoculars for better scanning, and a working VHF. Have FUN. It is the start of your new lifestyle. Smile and enjoy. I wish you calm seas ahead.-
SeaNisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 13:44   #35

Boat: KP 46

I have to say, this is a pretty humorous thread, a guy asks for info on sailing from GCS to St. Augustine which is a pretty simple sail, other than having to go through a city with bridges it is well clear of obstacles (unless you take the ICW). Wow, all kinds of "advice" such as "Get insurance!" "Make sure you have Sea Tow", "Don't go outside because ships wreck coming into St. Augustine!" "No bailout between St Johns and St Augustine!" Bailout? Like if your cellphone battery died or something?. "Carry extra fuel!" (Hmmm 70 miles, probably burn a gallon an hour if you motor the entire trip.. might use 11 gallons...)

I used to keep my boat at Green Cove Springs and made the trip several times, once I took the ICW down.

Sailing to me should be relaxing, Offshore you can set the autopilot and relax, work on the boat, ENJOY THE SAIL, enjoy the day, arrive relaxed.

ICW is five or six hours of motoring, having to hand steer most of the time, having shoal water within a few feet of you all the time, having traffic you have to deal with each and every one. Having to know your position exactly every foot of the way. You arrive tired and worn.

Here is a little info that MIGHT be helpful,
You can lay at the town dock for free for a night in Jax
I have anchored several times south of Reddi Point between the two shoal markers and the shore, quite wide and plenty of water.
Good anchorage in the area just west of Reed Island which is only 8 miles from the st John entrance.

St Augustine entrance is not marked, but easy if it is rough as you can see the shoals break on either side. It is a straight in approach, give sea tow a call and they can tell you of any shoaling. It is a LOT easier than the ICW.

Have a good trip and don't worry if you do not have backup life rafts, couple of extra GPS's, satphones, floatplans, and wear two lifevests with double PLBs attached.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 16:02   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNisles View Post
It would be cool for you and your family to dock at the Mall on your port side (it's right before the Green Metal Downtown Bridge) and have lunch or dinner on the 2nd Story Restaurant's balcony overlooking your boat (it's a good feeling for a first-time boat-to-restaurant-experience after years on the hard).
It would be cool, and I have done that myself, but that Mall was torn down two years ago. The docks are open again, and there are restaurants within walking distance, but there is only green space where the restaurants used to be.

Also (and I say this to be helpful and not critical), if you want people to read your entire post, paragraphs are your friends.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 15:09   #37

Boat: 2011 Beneteau 40

St Augustine Sea Buoy (lighted/whistle): Lat 29 54.943 and Lon 81 15.24
Decompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:03   #38

Boat: 2011 Beneteau 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decompression View Post
St Augustine Sea Buoy (lighted/whistle): Lat 29 54.943, Lon 81 15.24