Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 11:32   #1

Grenada to Bequia and Back 9 Days June

After 4 trips in the BVI now looking towards first trip to Grenada this June of 2019. Flights are booked and 45 2019 Lagoon Cat with Dream Yachts is reserved for crew of 8. Last time in BVI, we did have waves of 8 feet on first day and my family was just fine. Of course it settled to 4 feet and was quite pleasant. Should I expect bigger waves as we sail from North tip of Grenada to Carriacou?

I have been reading about boat boys, security and rough going north but still committed to the trip. Any updates on security in the area and other tips?

Is June a bad idea? Unfortunately, I am juggling times with college and senior in high school students and young working adults, so June was the only time that worked for entire family. Has anyone out there sailed this area in June? Obviously, if weather is bad we stay on anchor or mooring ball.

Overall it is a 9 day 10 night trip. My plan (weather permitting) is to sail as far as Bequia with stops in Carriacou, Union, Tobago Cay, Bequia and then back to Louis Marina on Grenada. Our group loves to snorkel and may try kite sailing on Union too.
tomhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:41   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Grenada to Bequia and Back 9 Days June

Seems like a lot to try to fit into 9 days. And yes, the waves tend to be bigger than in the BVI's
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 02:55   #3

We're headed to Grenada with Dream Yacht (Bali 4.0) in 4 weeks.

We have a 7 night charter and are only headed as far North as Tobago Cays (also plan to visit Carriacou, Clifton, Salt Whistle, Chatham with stops at Sandy Island and Mopion if the itinerary pans out) - we felt it would be a bit rushed tp press on further and we wouldn't get to enjoy that island pace of life.

Worth reading up on mooring balls - this will be our first trip there so not speaking from experience, but have heard/read a number of tales of mooring balls (especially less "official" ones) breaking free. At least with your anchor you know what you're working with and the conditions/water temp are fine for diving on it.

Also depending if you have a watermaker on the yacht you chartered, make sure you are aware of where you can pick up water if needed.
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 03:15   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

We've done that route up and down 3 times = once on our own and then twice with friends and family. Bequia is great, nice vibe, good anchorages and good m/balls. No problem boat boys and very helpful boat services for ice, water, diesel etc
Tobago Cays - too many new m/balls palced now so not much anchorage which is ok if that's what you prefer.
Salt Whistle bay - m/balls good and so are the boat helpers.
Union Island is a bit doggy at times. We've had good experiences and one a bit shady. Put your foot down and don't accept a private ball - they all get a commission from the park ranger who collects the fees. If the boat boy helps you, he gives you a card to hand in when paying your fee and he gets his cut. Don't pay him direct. Carriacou is awesome - at Sandy Island and opposite at Paradise beach, no problems. Chatham buy has had a bit of security problems of late.
Sailing south from Bequia down to Grenada is better than to opposite direction. Longest hop is between Carriacou and Grenada which can take about 6-7 hrs.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 08:53   #5

Don't forget that you will need to check out of Grenada at Carriacou and into St Vincent & the Grenadines (probably at the Union Island Airport) and then do the reverse on the way back. Nine days for the two way trip seems a bit short to me just one day of bad weather and it could get even tighter. (Hurricane season runs from June to November, but they don't get many coming south to the Grenadines.) When I did St Vincent to Carraicou and back in September (13 days) there were three loose in the Atlantic but they all went North towards Bermuda.
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:26   #6

There is a Customs/Immigration office at Blu Lagoon Marina St Vincent.
Maybe you can fly in at St Vincent and fly our from Grenada, depending on DYC to drop off at a different point then pick up.
Old 18-02-2019, 10:35   #7

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We have just one two week plus sailing adventure in the Windwards and Grendines.
Will share what we experienced, and maybe help you out a bit .

44 ft Peterson monohull. St.Lucia to Petite St . Vincent ...almost to Grenada.
and return. There was no one way drop off in Grenada in those days with the Moorings, so we had to sail all the way back up the island chain to Marrigo Bay, St. Lucia.

The winds blew all the way from Africa, and were were on a reach. Double reefed mainsail. We were hauling okole making a steady nine knots. There was absolutely no reason to motor .

No moorings any place that we stopped. Always anchored. Ranged from bow anchor laid out, and stern line tied to a coconut tree, to bahamian moors, to single hooks.

This was some time back. We visited the Pitons, Tobago Cays, Bequia, Palm Island, and Petite St. Vincent. Some of those passages were pretty long in distance.

No electronic wonders, no auto pilot, no GPS, we used the cruising guide , paper charts, and coastal piloting and navigation. The crew varied from myself, lic. USCG capt, and instructor, Erica, trained at our sailing club, and owned a Pacific Sea Craft,
Crealock 37, and excellent sail trimmer, seaman, navigator, etc. Some of the others had some lessons at the sailing club, and one other was a guest . We had watch schedules posted, and all went well. There was no night sailing, but we made long, long passages, during the day light hours.

We probably had some good sized seas. I know between St, Lucia and St. Vincent, there were some strong currents, east to west, and of course strong winds every day. We were crabbed , 35 to 40 degrees into the wind to hold our plotted rhumb line.

Anchorages all seemed to be reef or land protected, and no problems. I liked anchoring using a Bahamian Moor, two bow anchors , each at about 45 degrees orf port and starboard bow.

As to the dock boys.....back in those days , they would ( watch ) your dingy for a few EC ( Eastern Caribbean money ). They would also come out, and offer to lay out your second anchor.

We gave them , back then, a few E.C. to watch the dingy when we were ashore.
I watched it as well. It was rip off mordida, to keep them from stealing it.

Anchoring, we would take care of ourselves . These were non sailors, non seaman, and should have been in school. I was not trusting the safety of our vessel to these
boat boys, who were already asking us to pay them protection. Very little in yankee green, but we paid in EC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not want to rain on your parade, the SAILING WAS FANTASTIC, the snorkeling at the Tobago Keys was great, the Beach Bars and people that we met were fun as well.

But, we did not like the poverty that was present in those islands, at that time. That , one thing, is probably why we did not return to sail those islands. Every thing else was great.

And of course, one story..... good one.

Anchored Bahamian Moor off Petite St. Vincent, May 23 rd, my birthday, Erica and are down below. Rest of the crew are having boat drinks in the cockpit. We hear some fisherman pull along side.

They are saying LANGUSTA, the crew is saying NO..NO.

Well, Erica lights up like a S.A.M missile, and charges up the companion way ladder, yelling YES, YES. DON'T LEAVE.

These guys had a boat load of giant lobsters. I mean huge.

They were so large that we could not get them into the available cooking pots.

These things are flapping their huge tails and obviously were not interested in our version of a lobster hot tub. Erica, was an M.D, and tells us to just stay out of the way, as she did surgery with channnel locks and pliers.

Needless to say, we had a great birthday celebration fresh Lobster dinner. Those two lobsters fed our entire crew.

This is all from what is left of my rum addled brain cells, we may have added in another island, but again, we had a great time, and super sailing, no engine except to charge the batteries, and explored the islands that I mentioned. Met some great people. Oh, this all was not too long after the U.S. invaded Grenada.

Have another tale about Union Island armed rebels, two boats attacking small private,
Palm Island . Complete with gun fight . But, save that for another time.

Hope this helps a little,

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 14:26   #8

Sorry, I forgot - there is a Custom's & Immigration at Bequia as well, right on the water front, main area.
Old 18-02-2019, 19:30   #9

Thank you so much for the reply. Your tips will be well regarded.
Old 18-02-2019, 19:32   #10

How much time should we expect at the customs? 2 hrs?
Old 18-02-2019, 19:58   #11

I have gone from True Blue Bay, Grenada to Carriacou to Bequia in two days. So nine days total is definitely feasible.

I did an excursion in the Grenadines one June. The beginning of June is the tail end of the dry season. That particular year was really dry, so a lot of the greenery was brown. However, the rains started back up and by the middle of June, everything was lush again.

One further thing to be aware of is that lobsters are out of season during the summer months.

Other than that, the sailing was great. The waves are not particularly daunting at that time of year. Enjoy!
msamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 05:18   #12

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

The air blows hard out of the north east usually. Grenada to Carriacou, Tyrrel Bay first day. You will encounter current and waves and heavy air. Clear customs at Carriacou. We always go to the Lazy Turtle for pizza while at Tyrrel. Then on to Union Island. Anchor east side of Clifton Harbour out of the way of big boats that come and go. You will see Happy Island to the east of you. First time I did this I paid $25 US for a mooring ball that did not belong to the guy I paid. I have since anchored. Always swim down to make sure anchor is secure. Clear customs at airport. You could do some kite surfing there. I usually head for Saltwhistle on Mayreau and we have dinner on the beach. Third day straight to Bequia expecting heavy air on the nose. Now you have the hard sailing out of the way. You can anchor or call 'African' @ 784-593-3986 for a mooring ball. Bequia is super beautiful but the whole of the Grenadines is. After Bequia you can lollygag back south at your leisure with the intent of spending at least 3 days 2 nights at Tobago Cays. It is a State Park and the rangers will find you and collect fees. Eventually get back to Union to clear Customs out of SVG. Then back to Tyrrel and clear into Customs for your return to Grenada. Do not wait until Grenada to do this. Do it at Carriacou. Get the 2019-2020 Sailors Guide to Windward Islands online and read up. Grenada is my favourite place in the World.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 05:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhuntington View Post
How much time should we expect at the customs? 2 hrs?
I've never spent more than 45 min approx at any office.
Old 19-02-2019, 11:39   #14

Did the one way from St Lucia to Grenada a few times ( 10 day trip) in the past, with a drop off in Grenada. Enough to see everything. Seas and winds were only high between St L and Bequia. 8 foot seas in BVI is not the norm but there are the Christmas winds We a didn't stop at St Vincent nasty people ( 4 -5 years ago.) In and out of customs in 15 -20 minutes, be respectful, collared shirts etc , be patient. Next year we (6 guys ) are taking a boat to and from Grenada. 7 FULL sailing days would like to hear how you scheduled your time, did you have enough. We are considering not going as far as Bequia,,, although we agree it's a great place,,. Please let me know joeicnet@aol.com
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 15:28   #15

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

I spent 2 hours at Union Island Airport Customs, same at Bequia 3 years ago.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada