Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 10:49   #1

Grenadines Bareboat May 3rd to 13th itinerary suggestions

Hi All! Well, a week to go till our long anticipated bareboat charter trip to the Grenadines (via Grenanda and Back). Getting so anxious it is very hard to focus on work so thought I would post our itinerary to see if there are any last minute tips and/or advice: any tips on bars and restaurants welcome as we will be eating out every night (4 couples total). Day 6 we have a free day and not sure what to do, so recommendations welcome!

Day 1 (sat) - fly in, self provision get on boat and sleep aboard

Day 2 (Sun) - boat check, chart brief, sail to Carriacou and Paradise Beach, dinner at Boggles Rd House

Day 3 (Mon) - Check out in Hillsborough, sail to Union Island Chatham Bay (Chris Doyle's guide says that if we eat at Aqua restaurant they can handle check in for us, (Can anyone confirm?). looking to take advantage of that if possible

Day 4 (Tue) - Sail to Mayreau, Salt Whistle Bay, hike to church to get pics of Tobago Cays and explore the town, dinner on beach, (recommendations?)

Day 5(Wed) - Tobago Cays, maybe arrange a dive, BBQ dinner on the beach (any recommendations on which BBQ shop to select?)

Day 6 (Thu) - Undecided...recommendations? Stay an extra day in TBC Canaoun, Palm Island Clifton, Bequia if wind and weather is good?

Day 7 (Fri) - sail of Union Is. Clifton check out, PSV for the night, eat at restaurant, maybe check out Petite Martinique

Day 8 (Sat) - Long sail to Prickly bay/Hog island to check in and party at Rogers Barefoot Beach Bar (hopefully the cruisers don't treat us low charterers with too much disdain!

Day 9 (Sun) - Morning sail to Port Louis Marina, return boat, decompress in hotel pool on land, big dinner somewhere to celebrate a great trip

Day 10 (Mon)- fly home hungover and back to reality....
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 14:38   #2

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Grenadines Bareboat May 3rd to 13th itinerary suggestions

We do this run once a year , the sunday trip to Carriacou is a bit ambitious if you think you are going to stop at paradise beach and then go for Dinner . Itis a bit exposed for over night anchouring . I would go to Tyrell bay and take a taxi to bogles . Also I am not sure if there’s diving at the keys , I know it can be done out of tyrell bay but I in 25 years I have never seen any one diving in the keys , it is only 10 feet deep
Old 30-04-2019, 04:25   #3

Carriacou - customs is only at Tyrell Bay now. Can't find the link though and Noonsite seems to be down but I pulled this off the cached version; "the only office to process clearance for yachts is in Tyrell Bay. This is at Carriacou Marine (the old Yacht Club) and is open 7 days a week - but extra charges apply at weekends and holidays.

T[he Hillsborough office which used to also clear yachts is now closed."!

This link infers the same but isn't clear https://bvisail.com/grenadines-boat-...ustoms-office/

Tobago Cays- highly recommend Romeo for a BBQ, he also helped us with an buoy exactly where we wanted (right in front of Baradal and the turtle sanctuary part) and was great accommodating allergies and preferences. VHF16 when you are near, but we called/WhatsApped ahead - 1(784) 531 1200

Clifton- customs was quick and easy, turn right/east and do it at the airport (seemed quicker than in town and is a 10 min walk).

Chatham - I heard they charge around $80US to do customs or for a cab to Clifton so beware or pop into Clifton to do it yourself. There was a lot of tension and aggression between boat boys in Chatham and we were unimpressed.

Salt Whistle Bay - the hike is lovely, we did it at sunrise so it was a bit cooler and then came back to swim and breakfast
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 07:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Also I am not sure if there’s diving at the keys , I know it can be done out of tyrell bay but I in 25 years I have never seen any one diving in the keys , it is only 10 feet deep
Thanks for the tips Admiral; Regarding Diving, there definitely is diving but outside of the reef. SV Delos had some great dive footage when they were in the TBC

Old 30-04-2019, 07:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
Carriacou - customs is only at Tyrell Bay now. Can't find the link though and Noonsite seems to be down but I pulled this off the cached version; "the only office to process clearance for yachts is in Tyrell Bay. This is at Carriacou Marine (the old Yacht Club) and is open 7 days a week - but extra charges apply at weekends and holidays.

T[he Hillsborough office which used to also clear yachts is now closed."!

This link infers the same but isn't clear https://bvisail.com/grenadines-boat-...ustoms-office/

Tobago Cays- highly recommend Romeo for a BBQ, he also helped us with an buoy exactly where we wanted (right in front of Baradal and the turtle sanctuary part) and was great accommodating allergies and preferences. VHF16 when you are near, but we called/WhatsApped ahead - 1(784) 531 1200

Clifton- customs was quick and easy, turn right/east and do it at the airport (seemed quicker than in town and is a 10 min walk).

Chatham - I heard they charge around $80US to do customs or for a cab to Clifton so beware or pop into Clifton to do it yourself. There was a lot of tension and aggression between boat boys in Chatham and we were unimpressed.

Salt Whistle Bay - the hike is lovely, we did it at sunrise so it was a bit cooler and then came back to swim and breakfast
Thanks Bella Sailor for the tips, good to know about Hillsborough C&I not being open anymore. Now we have to make a decision whether we want to stay in Tyrell bay or not.. or see if there will be time to checkout of the marina on Sunday... maybe pushing it.

Also good to know about Chatham. It would be good to know for sure if Aqua provides the check in services described in the cruising guide.... I emailed but no response. I might try texting...

Thanks for the tips. T- 4 days!
Old 30-04-2019, 11:31   #6

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Mayreau, not much to eat on the beach. Few bars. Last bar before de Jungle is...lets say what happens there you keep to yourself… There is a little restaurant in town owned by a Rasta man. Not fine cuisine but not bad.
If you hike up to the Church, maybe consider bringging coloring books and crayons and stuff like that for the childcare center next to it.
They Always appreciate.

The walk from Salt Whistle to town is dark. Keep in group. Not much to worry about but no point making yourself an easy target.

Tobago cays. You have to stay for 2 nights minimum. Specially if you want to dive the outside reef.
If you charter a Cat, no need to use a mooring ball, you can Anchor on the sand bar between the reef and Baradal. About 8 feet deep.
There is a dingy buoy near a pass, Nice spot to snorkel. If you go outise de reef have the dingy follow you has there is a curent there.
Romeo was mentionned and I to recommend.

union….Clifton is Always busy. Everything is expensive there. Happy Island is cool.
If you happen to be there for full moon, do go to the JT Pro center for the full moon party.
If not Chatham is Always very quiet.

Canouan….I'd skip. Unles you like being in a big marina ( Brand New )
Bequia is nice. Not to hard to get there from TBC. Do mind the reef South of Canouan.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 21:00   #7

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I stand corrected,perhaps I should have said that I have not seen a commercial operator doing it , but I am not a diver yet . Skip Canauaon in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I stand corrected,perhaps I should have said that I have not seen a commercial operator doing it , but I am not a diver yet . Skip Canauaon in my opinion.
There are dive operators. Most are based on St-Vincent, Blue Lagoon.
Petit St-Vincent has Jean Michel Couteau, Union has a few too.

Mayrea Garden is to be considered if you scuba dive.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
Mayreau, not much to eat on the beach. Few bars. Last bar before de Jungle is...lets say what happens there you keep to yourself… There is a little restaurant in town owned by a Rasta man. Not fine cuisine but not bad.
If you hike up to the Church, maybe consider bringging coloring books and crayons and stuff like that for the childcare center next to it.
They Always appreciate.

The walk from Salt Whistle to town is dark. Keep in group. Not much to worry about but no point making yourself an easy target.

Tobago cays. You have to stay for 2 nights minimum. Specially if you want to dive the outside reef.
If you charter a Cat, no need to use a mooring ball, you can Anchor on the sand bar between the reef and Baradal. About 8 feet deep.
There is a dingy buoy near a pass, Nice spot to snorkel. If you go outise de reef have the dingy follow you has there is a curent there.
Romeo was mentionned and I to recommend.

union….Clifton is Always busy. Everything is expensive there. Happy Island is cool.
If you happen to be there for full moon, do go to the JT Pro center for the full moon party.
If not Chatham is Always very quiet.

Canouan….I'd skip. Unles you like being in a big marina ( Brand New )
Bequia is nice. Not to hard to get there from TBC. Do mind the reef South of Canouan.
Thanks For the tip flagman, hopefully you are doing okay with the flooding in Montreal (I'm from Ottawa which is not much better but I am nowhere near the river.)

Just curious if you have been to the marina on Caracou? I know its expensive and wondering if its worth it if the ladies on the trip want to be pampered? Also sounds like "last bar before the jungle" has a Willie T's kind of feel?

Thanks Again
T-3 days!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16   #10

Yeah I'm ok. Live about 5km from Ste-Marthe sur le lac.
Spent sunday filking up sand bags and building dikes.
Last bar before yhe jungle....leys says Willy T is almost familly oriented. Last bar...a bit more smokey

Tags
bareboat, boat