Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2021, 03:20   #1

Boat: Endeavour 43
Guatemala Internet Speeds for Remote Working

Hello fellow cruisers.

I'm considering relocating to Rio Dulce but unfortunately I still need to work. Fortunately I can do it remotely if I have an internet connection.

Would anyone living aboard in Rio Dulce be able to let me know what internet speed they are able to get? www.fast.com can give you the speeds.
Also, if you could let me know if that speed is from your boat or over at the marina building. I really want to be able to work from the boat.

thanks
SV_PuraVida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 18:21   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Guatemala Internet Speeds for Remote Working

The marina WiFi's vary widely and are often high variable since they are shared and vary a lot depending upon traffic of other users. Maybe folks at various marinas can submit tests from that specific marina.

Ive lived on the Rio Dulce for many years, since before cellular data access was available. I originally installed a satellite based system, but have more recently use TIGO for years. Signal strength is pretty good over most of the Rio. Speed is not blistering, but I find it adequate for most of what I need to do.

A lot depends on how much band width you need.

Test run over TIGO data service on my cell phone from Bruno's Marina.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210626-191143_Chrome.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	241075
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 03:56   #3

Thumbs up Re: Guatemala Internet Speeds for Remote Working

Thanks BelizeSailor.

Currently I am doing fine with 5 Mbs. It mainly for VOIP and screen sharing. I'm so over doing video call by now. I've not tried with 2Mbs so not sure if that would work.

I think I would use about 20GB data per month.
Thanks for sharing the Tigo info. Its useful.
Old 27-06-2021, 05:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_PuraVida View Post
Thanks BelizeSailor.

Currently I am doing fine with 5 Mbs. It mainly for VOIP and screen sharing. I'm so over doing video call by now. I've not tried with 2Mbs so not sure if that would work.

I think I would use about 20GB data per month.
Thanks for sharing the Tigo info. Its useful.
De nada.

I use VOIP often (Skype, TextNow). It works OK. Sometimes some audio issues, but usually pretty good.

Same w things like YouTube.
Old 27-06-2021, 08:32   #5

Im now in Guatemala City. Out of curiosity, I reran the same test here. 26Mbps, not bad!

Maybe with a booster/compression you could better on the Rio.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210627-092908_Chrome.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	241116
Old 27-06-2021, 09:32   #6

Quote:
Hello fellow cruisers.

I'm considering relocating to Rio Dulce but unfortunately I still need to work. Fortunately I can do it remotely if I have an internet connection.

Would anyone living aboard in Rio Dulce be able to let me know what internet speed they are able to get? www.fast.com can give you the speeds.
Also, if you could let me know if that speed is from your boat or over at the marina building. I really want to be able to work from the boat.

thanks
We live near Antigua Guatemala in San Lucas Sacatepequez about 15 miles from Guatemala City we have cellular, cellular data and internet service at home with Claro and we have good service at home, in San Lucas, Antigua and anywhere around Guatemala City. They recently installed fiber optic cable in the subdivision where we live but it is not in use yet. We travel all around Guatemala to more remote areas including Rio Dulce and Claro cellular data generally works well but you can hit dead spots, etc. That happens in the USA more frequently in my experience than in Guatemala. Conventional wisdom says in remote areas Tigo works better than Claro but we have no first hand experience with Tigo to compare to Claro in Rio Dulce. I would plan on depending on cellular data service with Tigo or Claro and not WIFI from any of the marinas or other free WIFI. Cellular with data is approx the same cost in Guatemala as the USA. In fact it might cost less in Guatemala.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 10:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
We live near Antigua Guatemala in San Lucas Sacatepequez about 15 miles from Guatemala City we have cellular, cellular data and internet service at home with Claro and we have good service at home, in San Lucas, Antigua and anywhere around Guatemala City. They recently installed fiber optic cable in the subdivision where we live but it is not in use yet. We travel all around Guatemala to more remote areas including Rio Dulce and Claro cellular data generally works well but you can hit dead spots, etc. That happens in the USA more frequently in my experience than in Guatemala. Conventional wisdom says in remote areas Tigo works better than Claro but we have no first hand experience with Tigo to compare to Claro in Rio Dulce. I would plan on depending on cellular data service with Tigo or Claro and not WIFI from any of the marinas or other free WIFI. Cellular with data is approx the same cost in Guatemala as the USA. In fact it might cost less in Guatemala.
Years ago TIGO was the only coverage on the Rio, but Claro expanded their network.

I dont know how coverage/performance compare on the Rio now.
Old 27-06-2021, 10:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
A good feature that we have with Claro cellular and cellular data is when we are in the USA data roaming is included in our plan and making calls and receiving calls to Guatemala when we are in the USA is included in our plan. Tigo probably offers something similar but you need to check.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 10:49   #9

Quote:
Hello fellow cruisers.

thanks

I'm holding out for Starlink. I don't mind helping Musk get to Mars if I get damn good internet as a result.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 11:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
I'm holding out for Starlink. I don't mind helping Musk get to Mars if I get damn good internet as a result.
Well, its gotta be more convenient than the old school satellite links!

I used to have one on the Rio, expensive PITA, but it was the only option back then.
Old 27-06-2021, 11:23   #11

I was looking at this wifi booster as an option RedPort halo https://www.redportglobal.com/marine...tender-system/

but am also on the Starlink waiting list as I also think that could be a great option when in marinas or in the hook. Will probably need some sort of gimbal or gyroscopic stabiliser, but I'm sure someone is working on that already.
Old 29-06-2021, 15:36   #12

Quote:
I was looking at this wifi booster as an option RedPort halo https://www.redportglobal.com/marine...tender-system/

but am also on the Starlink waiting list as I also think that could be a great option when in marinas or in the hook. Will probably need some sort of gimbal or gyroscopic stabiliser, but I'm sure someone is working on that already.
Ive used Wilson boosters with good results too. Thats what we use on the boat.

At my home on the Rio I installed a Cradle Point router in the 3rd floor of the house to get the increased elevation and better signal. Worked very well. One thing I specifically liked about the Cradle Point was its error detection and recovery features, which are configurable. Working remotely over cell data there are of course often network glitches. The Cradle Point took them in stride, automatically reseting the connection/modem as needed. Ive used other routers that dont handle errors so well. Some just crap out till you manually reset them...very annoying if that happens multiple times a day. Direct 12V power was a plus too.

Tags
Guatemala, internet, remote, work