Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 07:19   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Guatemala to Oriental, NC

Hi All .. interested to see if anyone has some feedback/commentary on a passage described below .... Starting out at Rio Dulce (Fronteras) Guatemala with an endpoint destination of Oriental NC. Oriental is at the bottom of the Pamlico Sound fed by among other things the Neuse River. Am not in a tremendous hurry, was thinking the legs for this trip are as follows :

- Rio Dulce to Cancun (or near it)
- Cancun to Havana
- Havana to Key West
- Key West to Miami
- Miami to Charleston
- Charleston to Oriental

I realize there are implications and complexities to Havana as well as I could skip a few of these ports, but am looking for moderate sails and taking my time in some good locations. I am thinking of a small number of weeks overall. Any experience of feedback appreciated.

Anyone take a rout close to the above ..?? thx ...kingofcary
kingofcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:05   #2

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Re: Guatemala to Oriental, NC

Just don't need groceries when you get to Oriental ;-)

(too soon?)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:48   #3

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcary View Post
Hi All .. interested to see if anyone has some feedback/commentary on a passage described below .... Starting out at Rio Dulce (Fronteras) Guatemala with an endpoint destination of Oriental NC. Oriental is at the bottom of the Pamlico Sound fed by among other things the Neuse River. Am not in a tremendous hurry, was thinking the legs for this trip are as follows :

- Rio Dulce to Cancun (or near it)
- Cancun to Havana
- Havana to Key West
- Key West to Miami
- Miami to Charleston
- Charleston to Oriental

I realize there are implications and complexities to Havana as well as I could skip a few of these ports, but am looking for moderate sails and taking my time in some good locations. I am thinking of a small number of weeks overall. Any experience of feedback appreciated.

Anyone take a rout close to the above ..?? thx ...kingofcary
===

If you are a US citizen and/or on a US documented boat, you might want to re-think the stop in Cuba. If you show up in the US with Cuba as your last port of call and do not have the required licenses/documents, you could be subject to some rather severe penalties. Reportedly someone was recently fined $100,000 for a similar infraction. I'd like to go to Cuba as much as anyone but will not risk it without the proper approvals and insurance. As a further issue, Marina Hemingway in Havana is reported as being jam packed at the current time.

Of course you could sail Cancun to Key West just as easily.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 07:06   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I may be doing that trip this year.
St Martin - Cuba -NYC.
Straight up the middle of the Gulf Stream.

It was more difficult to land in USA after Cuba in southern Florida. It may be good to check out the latest... but if I am forced to clear into the USA it would not be till Beaufort NC.

Up the Gulf Stream could be a busy passage shipping wise. As is the coast side of the GS.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:23   #5

Boat: Skookum Monk ketch 47
Re: Guatemala to Oriental, NC - Groceries

Good News: We, Oriental, now have a wonderful well stocked market.

Back story: had a great little local market, WalMart opened a "mini" WM which brought the closure of our store. Then in short order WM closed the mini WM leaving us with about a 38 mile round trip.

Today our store is a Piggly Wiggly which we call the Piglet. Complete with butcher shop, deli, beer and wine selection, fresh produce, frozen stuff, etc. Locals seem to be happy.

Transients can avail the Piglet of the shuttle ride. Call the store for boat to store to boat. 252-249-3100

dsiddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:55   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

To bad you plan to miss Belize. Short stays are not very expensive. Isla Mujeres is where you would stop not Cancun. While there you can find out about sailing inside the reef of Cuba, not checking in and ending up in Key West.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guatemala