Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2009, 20:32   #1

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
Gulf Coast Cruising Query

My wife and I plan a trip this spring leaving New Orleans and cruising mostly along the Mississippi and Alabama coasts, and perhaps as far east as Pensacola. Our boat is a Pearson 365. We have mostly sailed in Lake Pontchartrain in the past, so this will be new territory. Does anybody have any suggestions regarding great marinas, anchorages, etc.? Any places to avoid?

Mike Sibley
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 07:36   #2

Mobile

If you need a place to stay you can anchor off Dauphin Island or contact the Pelican Pub for dockage. Up in Mobile Bay we have several nice full service marinas. You can contact Turners Marina, Dog River Marina and The Mariner. On the Eastern Shore you will find The Grand Hotel at Point Clear. The ICW is fairly easy to navigate and you will want to stop at Pirates Cove for a cheese burger. I think that is where Jimmy Buffett came up with the Chesse Burger in Paridise song.
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 08:31   #3

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Gulf Coast

Mike, I don't know the draft of your boat but there are quite a few spots along the north side of some of the barrier Islands that we have been into in our 4' draft trawler in light or South winds. Ship Island, Horn Island, Ft Mckree just west of Pensacola Pass. We also enjoyed Ingram Bayou and Roberts Bayou. I have seen sizeable sailboats in Little Sabine Bay but much of it is shoal you will need to know the way in.
I have met several Sailors from the Pensacola area along the way maybe you can contact a Sailing club there for some "local knowledge" There is lots of beautiful white sand and blue water over there, much of it shallow so bring some good charts!
Good Luck,
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 19:37   #4

Boat: never mind...
Unfortunately, with Katrina recovery continuing, there is very little in the way of public marinas in Mississippi. The barrier islands are a beautiful place to visit and anchor along the way. Biloxi's Point Cadet and Small Craft Harbor may have dockage available soon, as repairs are underway to both marinas.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf coast