Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2012, 08:29   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Gulf of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
No doubt the Carribbean is more scenic than most of the Gulf coast, but to make those statements above leads me to think that you have not been on much of the gulf coast.
Just a difference in definitions of "islands" when it comes to cruising. Barrier Islands along the coastlines and contiguous islands (such as the Keys) are indeed "islands" as is the whole eastern USA since you can circumnavigate by water the east coast up and west to the Great Lakes and down the Mississippi to the Gulf and around again to the east coast.

I was suggesting that significant islands and more specifically island countries have a whole different world of experiences than barrier or coastal contiguous islands.

Just two different levels of experiences, each with its own attractions and interesting environments.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 08:45   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the gulf coast is a wonderful and fun and interesting place to cruise-- one really should do it before comparing it to anywhere else, as it is different than any where else.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 09:57   #33

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres lots of great cruiseing along the Gulf Coast! ya need to have a short enough mast, and not to great a draft, and then you have some real great ICW cruiseing!! we really found out about the wonders of Icw cruising when we bought our last boat, a Motor Trawler, we bought to repair and sell. haveing had to tall a mast on our last sail boat, we were in a all new world!! Ya can see some great stuff and eat some real good food along the ICW !! come on down and Pass a GOOD Time !!!
Old 23-06-2012, 11:33   #34

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

I basically agree with OSIRISSAIL and I will add further. I sailed to the beautiful Coast of Alabama from California in 1983 and have never looked back. I have crossed the Gulf several times and here is the scoop; Pick a weather window; no big deal, they have a pattern favorable to sailing south or north. OK, leaving Mobile Bay, go S.E. to the 60-100 fathom line. You will be in the South Loop Current to 20nm north of the Tortugas. Go west passing about 40nm north of Cuba, across the Yucatan Channel (A bit lumpy, but fun.) with a course to Isla Mujeres. You will be pushed north by the current, (No big deal). I personally like Isla and the many non heavy tourist centers all the way to the River Dolce in Guate’. I also like Isla De Providencia about 75nm east of Nicaragua.
Going back North from Yucatan, just head roughly at zero degrees north and sleigh ride to Mobile on the north current. BTW the real beauty of the ICW starts going east of Mobile Bay. White quartz sandy bays and bayous for about 50nm to the coral sands in Florida…I have never looked back to freezing California waters..
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 13:41   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred View Post
I basically agree with OSIRISSAIL and I will add further. I sailed to the beautiful Coast of Alabama from California in 1983 and have never looked back. I have crossed the Gulf several times and here is the scoop; Pick a weather window; no big deal, they have a pattern favorable to sailing south or north. OK, leaving Mobile Bay, go S.E. to the 60-100 fathom line. You will be in the South Loop Current to 20nm north of the Tortugas. Go west passing about 40nm north of Cuba, across the Yucatan Channel (A bit lumpy, but fun.) with a course to Isla Mujeres. You will be pushed north by the current, (No big deal). I personally like Isla and the many non heavy tourist centers all the way to the River Dolce in Guate’. I also like Isla De Providencia about 75nm east of Nicaragua.
Going back North from Yucatan, just head roughly at zero degrees north and sleigh ride to Mobile on the north current. BTW the real beauty of the ICW starts going east of Mobile Bay. White quartz sandy bays and bayous for about 50nm to the coral sands in Florida…I have never looked back to freezing California waters..

and that is why i am not going back to kalifornikatia.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 14:45   #36

Boat: Beneteau 473

I just did the Regataalsol race from Pensacola to Isla Mujeres this May on a Sabre 42. To avoid the loop current we went east slightly then south before crossing back to Isla in the last 50 miles. We did just over 600 miles in 93 hours. Non-spinnaker boat. We saw no oil platforms. If you are concerned about them leaving Mobile then go east to Pensacola first. It was a great sail. At that time of the year we were beam to broad reaching all the way. On the return trip we rum lined it straight back to Pensacola in 87 hours. It is a great trip and Isla is a great place to visit. Check the pilot charts for the Gulf for the time of year you want to go.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33   #37

The typical route from Brownsville south is: El Mezquital to La Pesca to Tampico. You'll need a Vessel T.I.P., Tourist Visa(s), and Fishing License(s) from the Mexican Consul. The U.S.C.G. will issue your clearance for Tampico, and crew list. The Port Captains at El Mezquital and La Pesca don't mind if you put in for a little sleep, as long as you make contact, and everyone stays aboard. They know Tampico is far, and will probably invite you to visit again, once you've cleared in. I've carried 7 feet at El Mezquital and La Pesca, and had zero problems with officials. Many options exist after Tampico. Check out YucatanCruising.com for recent charts/info from Ciudad Campeche to Isla Mujeres.
Glideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:35   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Glideaway.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 23:30   #39

Boat: 1979 O'Day

Don't forget all those 'rigs off Mobile...!
WarmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 15:30   #40

For someone with a condo & boat slip at the east entrance of the ICW into Mobile Bay, this is a very informative thread. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glacial erratic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico