Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 10:25   #16

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Help! Exumas Cruising Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
John, Thank you very much for sharing your extensive knowledge. I am departure on May 11th to the Exumas via North Bimini. My sailboat (Oceanis 38) has an average of 6.5 knots
and I was advised to not arrive at Chub Cay after the sunset.
Since it is a 13 hour passage at least, I am thinking to departure Alice Town at 3 AM, cross the bank, pass Chub Cay Marina and drop anchor near Barry Island Club / Frazer's Hog Cay. Next day straight to the Exumas, bypassing New Providence.
Do you think this is a good plan, or have other suggestions?
Very good posting.
Cheers

Since your message to john was not in the form of a pm I assume you are expecting additional comments. Why not leave Alice town in the afternoon and go anchor on the banks side of cat cay near the airport. Then leave as early as you want to get to the berries with no obstacles in your way. After consider a passage to Rose Island then the following day a passage to the Exumas at your speed. On the other hand I will always advocate a nonstop to the Exumas if you encounter a period of no wind or favorable winds.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 11:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Since your message to john was not in the form of a pm I assume you are expecting additional comments. Why not leave Alice town in the afternoon and go anchor on the banks side of cat cay near the airport. Then leave as early as you want to get to the berries with no obstacles in your way. After consider a passage to Rose Island then the following day a passage to the Exumas at your speed. On the other hand I will always advocate a nonstop to the Exumas if you encounter a period of no wind or favorable winds.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave,
This is the first time to the Bahamas and actually first time in many years for such long passage. Thanks for the Rose Island tip. I did not know about that. Will consider all your suggestions depending on the weather when departure No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne.
Thank you Dave.
PS: Love the Outremer Cats. One of my favorite. Unfortunately too big for the slip in front of my house.
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 12:58   #18

Do not anger the wind gods by saying that you will depart on May 11. Say May 11-May 13

I don't love the idea of trying to pick your way around Bird Cay in the dark if you've never been there. Why not just anchor on the bank well before Chubb? There's likely to be less surge and nothing to hit or drag onto (just anchor well off a course line and use a bright anchor light).

In any case wait in Bimini for a forecast of a reasonably quiet night in the Berry's.

And while I don't love Nassau, to skip it means a very long day in deep (e.g. sometimes rough) water. Last month I stayed at Bay Street Marina for a few days. New facility, good security and in a safer area. I've also heard great things about Palm Cay marina on the south side of Nassau island.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 13:25   #19

Boat: csy 37

Dont be afraid to anchor on the banks. Consider leaving Bimini and anchoring near North West Channel light, on the banks, for the evening. Then to Nassau - but dont stop if you dont want to - through the harbor and anchor off Rose Island.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 13:44   #20
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Seems to me, it always takes us more time to get to Nassau than planned. You'll leave Florida fully provisioned, so probably won't buy much in Bimini, while waiting for a window to leave. Then, if you have my luck, the east wind will be blowing stink right in your face crossing the bank. Maybe hold up in the Berry's for weather again. By the time you reach Nassau, you'll be out of some things...maybe down on fuel and water. Nassau is the last decent place to stock up (at any price), until you make Georgetown, if you're going there.

To me, I like leaving Nassau fully provisioned, because you don't want to rush down the Exumas. We spend at least a month getting down to GT. Bring cash, because most places don't take cards, and there are no ATM's. Maybe some don't care to ever go back to Nassau, but it's grown on us a bit after spending some time there this last trip. IMO, the best marina to provision from is Nassau Harbor Club Marina. Fair prices for the Bahamas, and good people. Shopping for food, booze, etc. is right across the street. A couple of marine stores down a few blocks to the right.

Don't forget to call Nassau Harbor Control before coming in.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 17:08   #21

Thank you, Carl. I see I have a lot to decide before May 12...and yes, Stoping in the banks is one option and yes, cannot make strict plans. Will only leave if conditions are right. Yes, I want to go to the Exumas because people say it is one of the nicest place, BUT... I do not have to go there particularly, if the wind is on the nose or bad.
Cheers
Old 21-04-2015, 17:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Seems to me, it always takes us more time to get to Nassau than planned. You'll leave Florida fully provisioned, so probably won't buy much in Bimini, while waiting for a window to leave. Then, if you have my luck, the east wind will be blowing stink right in your face crossing the bank. Maybe hold up in the Berry's for weather again. By the time you reach Nassau, you'll be out of some things...maybe down on fuel and water. Nassau is the last decent place to stock up (at any price), until you make Georgetown, if you're going there.

To me, I like leaving Nassau fully provisioned, because you don't want to rush down the Exumas. We spend at least a month getting down to GT. Bring cash, because most places don't take cards, and there are no ATM's. Maybe some don't care to ever go back to Nassau, but it's grown on us a bit after spending some time there this last trip. IMO, the best marina to provision from is Nassau Harbor Club Marina. Fair prices for the Bahamas, and good people. Shopping for food, booze, etc. is right across the street. A couple of marine stores down a few blocks to the right.
Don't forget to call Nassau Harbor Control before coming in.

Ralph
Ralph, thank you very much for your Nassau tips. I read so many bad things that it was not in my plans. I have water for 5 days and diesel for at least 200 miles, and a generator. Our intention is to stay the least amount of time in Marinas.
The comments from sailors who have done that before is invaluable for us. Thanks again.
Cheers
Homero
Old 21-04-2015, 17:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Dont be afraid to anchor on the banks. Consider leaving Bimini and anchoring near North West Channel light, on the banks, for the evening. Then to Nassau - but dont stop if you dont want to - through the harbor and anchor off Rose Island.
CSY37, I was not considering anchor in the open because I would imagine it will roll the whole night and be very uncomfortable, but looks like it is more common that I thought. So much to read and research, so little time...
Thank you for the input.
Cheers
Homero
Old 21-04-2015, 17:52   #24

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Do not anger the wind gods by saying that you will depart on May 11. Say May 11-May 13

I don't love the idea of trying to pick your way around Bird Cay in the dark if you've never been there. Why not just anchor on the bank well before Chubb? There's likely to be less surge and nothing to hit or drag onto (just anchor well off a course line and use a bright anchor light).

In any case wait in Bimini for a forecast of a reasonably quiet night in the Berry's.

And while I don't love Nassau, to skip it means a very long day in deep (e.g. sometimes rough) water. Last month I stayed at Bay Street Marina for a few days. New facility, good security and in a safer area. I've also heard great things about Palm Cay marina on the south side of Nassau island.
Great advise. Anything under 8-10 knots on the banks is very comfortable. Any more than that and it can become a bit unpleasant. Anchor 4 or 5 miles west, and then a couple miles south of Northwest Channel and you will be out of the way of any ship traffic. Remember to use lots of lights and one more thing, don't be scared of Nassau, just be aware as you would be in any big city.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 17:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
Great advise. Anything under 8-10 knots on the banks is very comfortable. Any more than that and it can become a bit unpleasant. Anchor 4 or 5 miles west, and then a couple miles south of Northwest Channel and you will be out of the way of any ship traffic. Remember to use lots of lights and one more thing, don't be scared of Nassau, just be aware as you would be in any big city.
Westsailwill: I just realized something... Maybe I became too American, and forgot my origins..I was born in Rio de Janeiro. Nassau must be a walk in the park compared with Rio (Crime and street smart guys...) So I will not completely cross it out if needed. What I am looking for are secluded anchorages, away from the noisy of the marina life and big cities. But sooner or latter I will need water and Diesel. That is why we chose Exumas instead of Abacos.

Great advise from you all. It is really helpful.
Cheers
Old 21-04-2015, 19:19   #26

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
But sooner or latter I will need water and Diesel. That is why we chose Exumas instead of Abacos.
Water and diesel, as well as food and marine supplies, are far more available in the Abacos. If you have limited capacity I would much rather see you go to the Abacos where serious shopping is usually only a day or two away. And there are enough deserted islands to make exploring possible. Not quite as remote as the Exumas but worth your consideration.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 19:33   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
This is the first time to the Bahamas and actually first time in many years for such long passage. Thanks for the Rose Island tip. I did not know about that.
Rose Island was mentioned in an earlier post.

Quote:
We usually avoid Nassau and anchor at nearby Rose Island instead.
Old 21-04-2015, 20:59   #28

Boat: Nordhavn 40 Trawler Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl

To Ralph, Carl, Dave, Amapola, Cheechako, BW, CSY Craig, Neil, John, and the others who so kindly took the time and effort to help me out: THANK YOU!

I'm a little tardy in replying, but I returned from overseas only this evening. When I checked my post on CF I was overwhelmed with the numerous, thorough, and helpful recommendations. This is why CF is such an exceptional resource for the mariner!

On our return from the Exumas I'll post a cruise report and return the favor by adding to the information posted here.

Thanks again, guys.

Kim
Kim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 05:39   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Ralph, thank you very much for your Nassau tips. I read so many bad things that it was not in my plans. I have water for 5 days and diesel for at least 200 miles, and a generator. Our intention is to stay the least amount of time in Marinas.

The comments from sailors who have done that before is invaluable for us. Thanks again.

Cheers

Homero

Homero, how is your experience of doing this trip on your new Oceanis 38 going? Any draft issues?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 16:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Homero, how is your experience of doing this trip on your new Oceanis 38 going? Any draft issues?
The internet is very expensive and slow... tomorrow I will be home and will post more pictures and videos and a report of the boat ( fantastic...)
Not sure you could see the blog with the pictures and the route so far, but if you want, here it goes. Vamunagua | A very wet adventure. Uma aventura bem molhada.
Cheers
Homero

Tags
cruising, exumas