Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2021, 09:29   #16
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft
Re: Help! The Bahamas are hard!

i am in west end right now.
for charts, you can download aqua map
lifetime bahamas chart access is 100$
slow internet in marina as you know
might want to get aliv sim when you go to town for second covid
we went to the Medical Pavillion; east sunrise hwy; drive thru; easy 350-7000
if you go back to fl will have to do covid and so forth all over.
you might be able to run wednesday but like everyone, keep checking predict wind. th looks tough
go talk to the customs guys; they can help clarify.
luck
tom
mai pehn rai
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 09:34   #17

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

From West End to Crab Cay is about 91 NM. But if you start before sunrise, you could get a 14 hour day - you'd be exiting West End into deep water. Then 11 NM to Memory Rock and you're coming on the Bank as the sun rises or slightly before. Looking at the chart, once past Memory Rock you have > 12 feet of water for the first 10 miles, and most > 10 feet until the turn at Mangrove Cay. But do get Explorer Charts.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 09:51   #18

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Why don’t you stay at West End for the requisite 5 days and get your second Covid test there?

While your there you can take a taxi and go to a BTC or Aliv outlet and purchase a SIM card to use in your device (iPad or Phone) to download the charts needed.

If you get lucky you may be able to score a “brick” on the island that takes the BTC or Aliv cell signals snd provided you a multi device wi-fi?

You have lots of options. I cleared at Great Harbour Marina in the Berrys. They have decent Wi-Fi as well as offering onsite Covid testing every Saturday morning.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 12:03   #19

Cruised the Bahamas for 10 years, and I would NEVER venture out without a hard copy of Explorer Charts. Get it sent to you overnight and always use it to compare to the plotter.
Bargain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 13:46   #20

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
Hi all,

I made the crossing from West Palm Beach to West End, Bahamas a couple of days ago. I had a nice, uneventful crossing, and cleared customs without issue.

Now I'm still sitting here in West End, 2 days later, feeling at a total loss for how to proceed. One problem is the current requirement to get a second Covid test on Tuesday. I had hoped to make it to Treasure Cay for that, but at this point I've waited too long to make it with the current weather forecast. So I'm pretty much stuck here, or running down to Port Lucayan until I get the test sorted.

Another problem is my chartplotter does not have the good Explorer charts loaded on it. Somehow that bit of preparation completely escaped me, and the "chart" that is loaded on my plotter is essentially worthless (currently shows me on land, and has no detail whatsoever on any of the banks). I do have navionics on my phone, but navigating that way feels a lot sketchier. I've since bought the chart download I need, but I haven't been able to keep my plotter connected to the internet long enough to download it...

So I guess my question is: how the heck do people continue from West End? I've seen a couple boats here heading south for the Berries, but that's another overnight sail, which I'd much rather avoid. I thought initially that I would go around to the north, through Indian Rocks passage, but I'm quite nervous about the shallow water with my 5.5 ft draft, especially without the help of my chartplotter.

This has unexpectedly been the most anxiety/stress-inducing part of my cruise so far. For some reason it seems worse than the gales of new england, the fog in Maine, the sprint down the Jersey coast, steep head seas in the chesapeake, or all the shallow water I've cleared in the ICW. Am I just being stupid and it's not as hard as it seems?
Well.... let's see. Most of us are freezing our butts off in the dead of winter and your problem is that you're stuck in the west end of the Bahamas
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 14:50   #21

As others suggest, just go find some wifi and download Aquamaps with Explorer charts. It is by far the best electronic version of Explorer charts - the colors match the books and it's always up to date. Costs less than the paper charts too.

I sure hope all these paper chart fans always designate a crew member to be navigator. In tricky waters like the Bahamas there's no safe way to maintain a DR track on a paper chart while also steering and keeping a proper lookout under Rule 5. I did it for many years before chartplotters in Maine and always had someone act as navigator.

And if you're worried about electronics failure, carry two tablets. I think I have five aboard if you include the phones.

I also agree with the suggestion to just stay at West End until your second test. You've made it to the Bahamas - Congratulations - now slow down to Bahamas speed.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 15:29   #22

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Like others have suggested, download AquaMaps and get the Bahamas charts (they are the Explorer Charts). Either wait and get your test in West End, or go via Memory Rock to Great Sale, sleep for the night, then Green Turtle the next day.

Follow the Explorer line from Memory Rock and you don’t have to worry about getting to Great Sale in the dark. Both times we’ve anchored there (coming from West Palm) we’ve arrived after dark. The line is rock solid.

But whatever you do, be somewhere protected by Thursday. As SailorBoy said, there’s a strong front coming.

Believe me, the Bahamas aren’t hard. You’ll find out soon enough.
Old 24-01-2021, 16:19   #23

Navonics on your phone is good enough. Watch the weather pick good days to move around.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 16:20   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You don't even need charts...any Abaco cruising guide will have all the routes, depths, distances, and anything else you might need.

The Memory Rock route is simplicity in itself. Safe, simple and by far the easiest way to get over the Banks.

Electronic charts can go out anytime, any place, for any reason. Forget about them. Read the guide book, learn to read the water.....and you will....a week from now, you'll be wondering what the fuss was all about.

If you still need someone to hold your hand, follow behind another boat. Make some friends at the marina. There is 100% chance you will buddy boat with someone else soon enuff.

The Abaco's are a cinch to get around. The clear water is something to get used too, but the wind can stir it up.

I have to echo what others have said here. The Abaco's is a cruising paradise.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 16:57   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The iPhone app "Aquamaps" is great and the charts for the bahamas it uses are the explorer chart data... so no problem. A few bucks for the app and the charts and you are on your way.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 17:51   #26

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

See if you can buy a copy of Steve Dodge's Cruising guide to Abaco. It has some great hand drawn charts in it, and that is what we used to run from West End to Marsh before we all had GPS!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 18:08   #27

Boat: 65' cat, sold

How did we ever navigate in the Bahamas 40 years ago. Crappy no detail charts and no GPS. The old Bahamas guide book and a hand bearing compass were the main nav tools.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 18:09   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

As others have said, electronic charts for the Bahamas are nice but absolutely not a necessity. Paper charts, a good cruising guide and some of the easiest clearest waters to eyeball navigate. Relax and enjoy.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 20:04   #29

Boat: 55 fleming

No paper chart shame on you. Going north. go north 5 km memory rock then to Great Sail. Round Great Sail on the North to Sail Fish point and down to Green Turtle eye ball the water with 5'6" draft you should have no trouble.
Do you have a Bahamas Guide?
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 05:25   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

wonder if Jeb is going rejoin the thread

Tags
Bahamas