Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 07:24   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Help! The Bahamas are hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
As others suggest, just go find some wifi and download Aquamaps with Explorer charts. It is by far the best electronic version of Explorer charts - the colors match the books and it's always up to date. Costs less than the paper charts too.

I sure hope all these paper chart fans always designate a crew member to be navigator. In tricky waters like the Bahamas there's no safe way to maintain a DR track on a paper chart while also steering and keeping a proper lookout under Rule 5. I did it for many years before chartplotters in Maine and always had someone act as navigator.

And if you're worried about electronics failure, carry two tablets. I think I have five aboard if you include the phones.

I also agree with the suggestion to just stay at West End until your second test. You've made it to the Bahamas - Congratulations - now slow down to Bahamas speed.
^^^^ is the correct answer
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 07:58   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I must belong to the old fart genre....I wouldn't dream of going anywhere without paper charts...or a good cruising guide...
I kept paper charts in a plastic sleeve on deck...and a marker pen...my go to method for almost 40 years now....
yers truly,
happy old fart..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 08:16   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I must belong to the old fart genre....I wouldn't dream of going anywhere without paper charts...or a good cruising guide...
I kept paper charts in a plastic sleeve on deck...and a marker pen...my go to method for almost 40 years now....
yers truly,
happy old fart..
Sometimes I do the plastic sleevie-thing, sometimes I just fold the chart to isolate the current area and just wedge it under something in the cockpit....
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 08:38   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
At this point I’m sure there are quite a few sailors out there that have no idea how to “operate” a paper chart.
I doubt it is much different than 20+ years ago.
Old 26-01-2021, 08:43   #50

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
E-zactly my point.

At least he's prudent enough not to go sailing off without any idea of the navigable waters...
...and to ask this forum, even if it means 35 people hammering home the same message about preparation

(easy for me to say, never having sailed anywhere that isn't covered by those laminated, cockpit-friendly Richardson chart books)
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 09:29   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Wow....I get anxiety just reading this. In the Northwest you worry about timing your passage because of strong currents. You folks worry about shallow waters and reading the color of the water to determine depth.
I am in the West coast where the only thing we worry about is strong winds and swells. You almost have to force yourself to run aground out here.
Makes me really respect those in other areas. I feel lucky in many ways ... but sad that I do not have the skills to do what you guys have to do.

Safe Trip...

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 09:41   #52

Quote:
The first time I left for the Abaco's, I had no navigational instruments, I was informed to leave at night and to keep the lights on the smoke stacks at West Palm Beach lined up...this keeps you on track with the Gulf Stream trying to push you north....then half way across....I should pick up the red light from the phone tower at West End.. I saw a red light and followed that, but it turned out to be a ship..never even saw West End......but just after dawn, picked up Memory Rock...had never seen Memory Rock before, so was somewhat taken aback by the small size.. but there was nothing else out there, so I thought this must be it...I don't deny that the good Lord looks after drunks, fools and sailors...first few hours were a bit apprehensive as I had never seen such clear water, but pretty soon Mangrove Cay hove into sight and it was all downhill from there..cleared in at Green Turtle...the Abaco's...no place like it !
Do you remember the old instructions for getting into Bimini? (pre-Bimini Sands/pre-GPS). Talk about a nail biter. Sail for the yellow (or pink, I forget), house until five seconds before you hit the beach and then hang a hard left.
Old 26-01-2021, 10:49   #53

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I've sailed in the gulf islands and a little around vancouver.
We are now living aboard in the bahamas.
Dont let anxiety get the better of you, here is much easier. There is some current in the cuts if you time it wrong but nothing like the northwest.
If you run aground, it will almost always be in sand. As long as you didn't hit right at high tide, just wait a while and you will float free. Plus the water is warm so just jump in and take a look[emoji16]
Electronic charts, paper charts, they are both tools that can be used if used properly, to assist your visual navigation. It's always been good seamanship to keep your boat sound, and continually build your knowledge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Wow....I get anxiety just reading this. In the Northwest you worry about timing your passage because of strong currents. You folks worry about shallow waters and reading the color of the water to determine depth.
I am in the West coast where the only thing we worry about is strong winds and swells. You almost have to force yourself to run aground out here.
Makes me really respect those in other areas. I feel lucky in many ways ... but sad that I do not have the skills to do what you guys have to do.

Safe Trip...

Abe
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 12:09   #54
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Do you remember the old instructions for getting into Bimini? (pre-Bimini Sands/pre-GPS). Talk about a nail biter. Sail for the yellow (or pink, I forget), house until five seconds before you hit the beach and then hang a hard left.
Hasn't really changed much. Now it it is "aim for Bimini Sands channel and hang a left when you can look down the lane:. But I can say from when I went last year I barely made it and the "deep" water was a little spit between 2 sand bars, It was much easier leaving because knowledge and experience do matter sometimes.
Old 26-01-2021, 12:45   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
There's nothing comparable to the entrance to Lord Howe Island, 400 miles off the Eastern Coast of Australia: you sail straight at the reef while the Harbourmaster coaches you by VHF into the teeny, weeny gap from the top of the nearby hill...

Talk about pucker-provoking!!!
LittleWing77
Old 26-01-2021, 13:14   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Hasn't really changed much. Now it it is "aim for Bimini Sands channel and hang a left when you can look down the lane:. But I can say from when I went last year I barely made it and the "deep" water was a little spit between 2 sand bars, It was much easier leaving because knowledge and experience do matter sometimes.
Yeah, but you have channel markers now, and it's not nearly as unnerving to be heading for a marina entrance as it was heading for the beach!

With the way that new channel silts in, I've thought about just going the old way in a couple of times.
Old 26-01-2021, 14:26   #57
Marine Service Provider

I sailed back from Bermuda to the Abaco's one time...come night time I was quite close to Hope Town...and started looking for the famed Hope Town lighthouse...never saw it....not a glimmer....
Planned to come thru' at Whale Cay passage....but there are some unmarked rocks offshore, not to mention some reefs...had to stand off for the night...at one time, they had a cruise ship come in there and had some markers, but all gone now...

Navigational aids in the B'mas are pretty much slim to non-existent...
Old 27-01-2021, 03:09   #58

Quote:
I sailed back from Bermuda to the Abaco's one time...come night time I was quite close to Hope Town...and started looking for the famed Hope Town lighthouse...never saw it....not a glimmer....
Planned to come thru' at Whale Cay passage....but there are some unmarked rocks offshore, not to mention some reefs...had to stand off for the night...at one time, they had a cruise ship come in there and had some markers, but all gone now...

Navigational aids in the B'mas are pretty much slim to non-existent...
McHugh, just curiosity, as I haven't been there in quite a while:

Do the Bahamas adhere to IALA Buoyage or are they on the US system...?
Old 27-01-2021, 03:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
McHugh, just curiosity, as I haven't been there in quite a while:

Do the Bahamas adhere to IALA Buoyage or are they on the US system...?
Depends. There are not many navigational aids in the Bahamas, and most of the ones that do exist, are privately installed and maintained (how many years has the light on the Northwest Channel marker been out, LOL).The old joke about sailing around the Keys used to be " Just like the Bahamas, but with channel markers and working cell phones!".
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 05:50   #60
Marine Service Provider

that's a good question.....the only two sea buoys I know off are at the entrance to Nassau Harbor on New Providence Harbor, which has a red and green marker at the entrance which is the Red Right Returning system, aka US...there is a lighthouse there too, but it hasn't worked in years...I'm not sure if those buoys are lighted or not...or if they are, not sure if the lights are working..

The entrance to Marsh Harbor has a green light on that spit of land on the left hand side of the entrance, which would also be the Red Right Returning, aka US....

I'm not aware of any other navigational markers anywhere else...it's mostly " line up the prominent red roof on 135 degrees" stuff...

Some time back, I did notice a white light on a tall pole just off Mangrove Cay...it was working, where it gets power from, I have no idea...but that was before hurricane Dorian....I'm doubtful it is still there...

Tags
Bahamas