Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 20:40   #1
mms

How much to dock at Peter Is. Marina ?

I saw on their site $20/hour? No way that's right - one day 2 pm to 8 am for $380 when a mooring ball is $60? Please tell me I've got this wrong.
mms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 06:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: How much to dock at Peter Is. Marina ?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mms.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 06:56   #3

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Yes that's about right . Stopped there once for water, people usually just stop and go .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 07:22   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Yes, that is correct. They have very few slips - maybe 6 or so - and they are in high demand.

Of course, everything else on the island is equally expensive.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 07:28   #5

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I docked there a few years ago. I had reserved a mooring but they gave it to another boat so they gave me the slip for the price of a mooring. We used their car service to go to the beach on the other side of the island. We also spent some money in the restaurant and dive shops.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 07:53   #6
mms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I docked there a few years ago. I had reserved a mooring but they gave it to another boat so they gave me the slip for the price of a mooring. We used their car service to go to the beach on the other side of the island. We also spent some money in the restaurant and dive shops.
Ahh, did not realize that we could reserve moorings. That's better. We are absolutely planning on being there on Nov. 29th with two boats and I was starting to get a little anxious about the ramifications if all moorings were taken. My crew really wants the last day to be nicer and to have nice facilities they can clean up, unwind from their first ever sail trip. Peter was the perfect fit for this.
Old 30-10-2013, 08:24   #7

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

The mooring fees are the most expensive in the BVI (or anywhere else I've sailed) and dock fees are expensive, however they do give you access to the resort common facilities, so they are not too far out for a crew looking for a little TLC. You'll still have to pay for the services just like any guest.

I find it very convenient to pop-in from the channel, slide up to the dock and off/on load my scuba tanks for filling without having to use a dink or head to a place I wouldn't go except for the fill. Water and ice are also right at the dock, and the quality is not suspect, but you need to be really thirsty at a $1.00/gal. Still, it is there and time is money on vacation.

Give the dock master a hail, he's very helpful, and will direct you to an open spot and give a hand with your lines. It is also possible to change crew here with the resort ferry service.

Be advised that Sprat Bay is normally very protected (read calm and hot), I wouldn't choose to spend the night here without AC.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 08:34   #8
mms

yeah, i made crew aware of the mooring fees ahead of time. for the amenities they'll get - pool, showers, access to restaurant/bar - everyone thought the fees were reasonable. I agreed. My only concern now is that we'll get there and find the moorings taken and a crew very uneasy about parting with $400, plus expenses, for one night's stay. I'm scratching my head about what the contingency plan should be if we can't hit up the resort. I've heard others say that you can anchor across the way, walk up, and still have access. Is that the case in your experience? I'm not keen on getting into a situation where someone is asking us to leave, ya know.
Old 30-10-2013, 08:47   #9

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

If they will give you a mooring reservation, that's likely your best bet. At least they know you are coming and will be accommodative if something prevents them from honoring you reservation.

There are moorings close by in Great Harbor and it is possible (but not especially easy) to anchor in Dead Man's, as alternatives to Sprat Bay. These require the use of your dink and a bit of walking to/from the resort.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:40   #10

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Another option if Peter doesn't work out, would be to go across to Nanny Cay. Clearly not the 5 star facility that Amway/Peter is but still very nice. They have some of the best public showers I've been in anywhere, a couple of restaurants, a couple of bars, nice pool and a beach with chairs if you need one last bit of beach time. If interested check out their website. If you don't have A/C it can be stuffy in Nanny Cay just like Peter. Enjoy your trip.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 13:41   #11
mms

Nanny Cay is our final destination on Saturday morning. Friday is our last night on the water before we return to Horizon Yacht Charter.
Old 30-10-2013, 13:48   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I thought the facilities at Nanny Cay are nice? We've never felt the need to do any clean up prior to our final arrival back at the Moorings base. I think your crew will find the same - unwind from a sailing trip? LOL That's like going home after a day at the Spa to unwind

Just top off on water that morning or the day before, and your crew can clean up as much as they want on the boat as well - at least as an option if for some reason Peter didn't work out - you will be there Thanksgiving week which is busy. I guess the appeal of this really depends on the boat. On most trips, I always end up showering on the boat even if there's nice facilities on shore, simply for the convenience.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 13:54   #13

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I have chartered and sailed to the BVI's many times. You are overthinking the problem. It's vacation, everything in the BVI's is close. There are a million back-up plans to mooring at Peter Island IMO. You are going to make yourself crazy and not have a vacation with this type of frantic thinking. Cheers!!
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 14:28   #14
mms

Oh, I hear you, Maytrix. It's not my burning desire to go to Peter, but theirs. Not that I mind going though. When I proposed this trip to everyone - the first sailing trip for the majority of them - they started looking around the area. As some of them had heard of Peter Is. and read about the beach, pool, spa, restaurant, yada, yada, they decided that's where they wanted their last night. As the one planning the whole trip for everyone, I figured I would try to accommodate. It's one of the few things they asked for.

That said, if the plan has to change, the plan has to change. The burden of being in charge is that I have to do that planning. The benefit of being in charge is that I get to make that call. Good to know that Nanny Cay is a fine option for our last night. If anything, it will at least make for a very easy morning leaving on Saturday.
Old 30-10-2013, 14:35   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

If that's what they want, then by all means. It will be interesting to see if they are still really interested in it as the week goes on.

And I wouldn't look at planning as a burden It's a good way to occupy your time before the trip! I've put together a number of options for our upcoming trip in a few weeks and am about to re-do everything as our dive plans have changed a bit.

I wouldn't recommend Nanny Cay for the last night. Far better to enjoy the last night on the water at Norman, Peter (whether at the resort or in another harbor) or even Cooper. Just get up early enough to get back to Nanny Cay to give everyone time to clean up. Although the feasibility of that depends on your travel plans. We usually get back by 10 and have two hours before heading to the airport - plenty of time for us.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote