Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2020, 19:59   #1

How to make the jump from Bahamas to Caribbean? Clarence Town to Turks adn Caicos?

There is flying fish marina in Clarence Town, Bahamas to fuel up. Then it seems to me the next stop is Turtle Cove Marina, Turks and Caicos Islands about 265 miles away.
Anyone have a place to fill up diesel between those two destinations? I can make the jump, but rather not push it.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 20:06   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: How to make the jump from Bahamas to Caribbean? Clarence Town to Turks adn Caico

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
There is flying fish marina in Clarence Town, Bahamas to fuel up. Then it seems to me the next stop is Turtle Cove Marina, Turks and Caicos Islands about 265 miles away.
Anyone have a place to fill up diesel between those two destinations? I can make the jump, but rather not push it.
Just sail! Down the Windward passage to Bonaire then back up trying to get as much east as possible, hopefully the south coast of PR then east along the coast into the Virgins.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 20:16   #3

Re: How to make the jump from Bahamas to Caribbean? Clarence Town to Turks adn Caico

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Just sail! Down the Windward passage to Bonaire then back up trying to get as much east as possible, hopefully the south coast of PR then east along the coast into the Virgins.
I'm a smelly, stinking, gasser unfortunately. Well...diesel that is. No sailing for me.
Old 25-11-2020, 06:29   #4

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-Gallo...a-926816458284
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 08:57   #5

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
I'm a smelly, stinking, gasser unfortunately. Well...diesel that is. No sailing for me.
There's always jerry cans if you feel you're pushing it. You really need to add some tankage to that boat.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 09:39   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Pick up a white plastic drum from somewhere like Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale and tie it down in the aft cockpit. Fill with diesel and get a siphon ball with a tube long enough to pick up from the bottom up and down into your fuel tank.
We have 3 we tied down in the cockpit of our catamaran.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 09:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, only sailing catamarans. I couldn't afford a motor cat that would get me across the oceans. And, if I could afford to buy on, I probably couldn't afford the fuel.
Sailing is the only way for me and I enjoy it.
What changed your mind?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 12:30   #8

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

We stopped in Rum Cay, but I don't remember if they have fuel or not. We really enjoyed the island though!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 12:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

you can always read "The gentleman's guide to passages south"...a tried and true route
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 16:44   #10

Boat: csy 37

don't think rum cay has a fuel dock anymore.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 20:48   #11
jlb

It looks like 180 nm from Clarencetown, Long Island to Provo. How is it 265? In any case it sounds like you need some jerry jugs.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 09:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

this is where it will pay to be patient and wait for a wind shift, otherwise you will end up bashing your brains out doing this trip at maybe 1-2 knots to your destination.....maybe....you could also end going backwards...I'd make for Turtle Cove Marina...it's got a pretty well marked channel to a very protected marina, many offshore reefs here...then you have options....you can try to motor across the Turks and Caicos Banks, I've done it, but be prepared to slug you brains out. I could not make it in one day and ended up having to anchor in the middle of nowhere there....forget about sleeping as you will rock the filings out your teeth....be sure you anchor is well set as there are numerous coral heads in the area. not sure of your boat's draft....a deep draft won't make it thru' here...I've also sailed around there, a much better option imo....you can go both in a westerly direction or easterly direction from Turtle Cove...

have fun !!!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 14:18   #13

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

A guy, Bruce van Sant wrote the book. Good read and the weather and water routing info is timeless
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 14:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What changed your mind?
Sailing our Lagoon 400 across the gulf and had a medical emergency. It took way too long to get back for assistance.
We sold the lagoon 400 and are looking hard at diesels that can do cruise at 20kts. All islands in the Caribbean are 10hr or less. We don't want to give up traveling, so now limited to being in only the Caribbean and possibly ship the boat to Mediterranean. Long passages are not an option sadly.
However, we are not wanting to give up boating.
Old 30-11-2020, 18:04   #15

Boat: Hylas 44

Hello serpa4,
You’ll find diesel in Georgetown, Provo , Cockburn Harbour T&C, Luperon, Ocean World Marina ( Puerto Plata), Samana, Boqueron (PR). Bring your Jerrycans since fuel dock aren’t popular on this route.
Gentlemen guide to passage south has long been the best guide to make this trip but is now out of print and somewhat a bit outdated. The best way to do it is to use the north wind resulting from a cold front to the T&C. Thereafter , all along the north coast of the Dominican Republic, it is better to motor in light winds or at night. Along this coast, do not hope to go upwind against the trade winds , especially with a catamaran. A cold front usually decreases the strength of the trade winds and it would be very risky to attempt to sail north of Dominican Republic with north wind caused by a strong cold front.
There are several possible anchorages along this route and I recommend you try to find a used copy of the book «* Gentlemen guide to passage south*» , this guide contains a lot of relevant information on this subject.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, enc, rib