Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 21:53   #31

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: Hurricane Advice for Eleuthera, Bahamas

Tropicaltidbits.com is a great resource for forecasting. That graphic is from there and is of invest 99, behind Fiona.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 23:26   #32

Boat: Vista 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
We sat out a nasty storm in Emerald, had real bad surge, lots of busted fenders and cleats ripped out. If you are there need lots of very snug lines and many strong fenders.
Thanks for the heads up. We are as ready as can be and still be out here.

We saw pictures of the tidal surge from Dale. Also the giant waves breaking over the inlet.
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 05:24   #33

If you have the time and you are working your way north in Eleuthera, consider moving to Black Sound in Abaco.

The British laid down hurricane chains across the harbor in the 1800's that are still the most secure way of mooring during a hurricane.

And by the way, a lot of newer anchors have been fouled by these across the harbor chains, so use local knowledge to determine where they are if you don't want to stay secured to the bottom!
veinermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 05:58   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, veinermi.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 07:43   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
I'm confused there is Norman's Pond Cay near Lee Stocking Island with the old Carib Research Center. That cay has a salt pond with no entrance right?

Norman's Cay has the North Harbour ("pond") with the very tricky entrance, but it has an enclosed harbor. Anybody who has been thru it, wouldn't mind some intel. Which rock do you stay to, we draw 4'2" and are pretty adventurous, but haven't try it. The current was ripping out when we looked at it.

Good List
Add Hope Town
Don't add Little Harbour, heard moorings breaking in 20-25kts.
I'm would do Warwick Wells, very good moorings, lots for storm surge with northers and west winds.
Shame Sampson Cay is closed, that seemed pretty protected.
The Berrys have Great Harbor Marina, That is a very good spot, concert piers.

Not a whole lot of places to hide in the Exumas.
Yes, I reconnoitered Norman's Pond earlier this year. You'd have to be shallow draft and a brave sole indeed to try it. A few inches one way or another on the 4-5 foot entrance and you're aground. But, if you can get in, it looks wonderfully protected.
Old 21-08-2016, 07:46   #36

Boat: 1967 Grampian Classic 31

can't thank you all enough, this is all fantastic.

so - based on these notes, my charts and stuff I've found online - here's the rough plan:

Tues - Gov's Harbour to Rock Sound
Wed - Rock Sound to Cape Eleuthera
Thurs - Cape Eleuthera to Norman's [Pond] Cay
Fri - [Revisit weather system] + head to Staniel Cay
Sat - head to Georgetown [have a mooring reserved at Kevalli's for a few months], tie her up for a few months, come back when I can post things like 'best rum runner suggestions?'

... of course, we all know how planning goes on a boat, but this would be the general idea.

any thoughts are welcome. much appreciated to all!
theodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 07:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Lee View Post
Rock Sound if you can't get out of the way. Plenty of room, sandy shores if you do drag ashore, good holding bottom, nearly 360 protection.
That would be my vote as well if I got stuck in Eluthera for a hurricane. Really good holding where you would have to drag a long ways to get hurt if you anchor right. I would also think about going to Spanish Wells and trying to get in a slip in a place like Spanish Wells Yacht Haven if they will rent you a slip with a hurricane coming. Or at least in that canal that Yacht Haven is on.

Or Harbor Island, (but get there quick, I wouldn't want to have to go through the Devil's Backbone with swell already showing, even with a pilot, if you could get one to do it).

No way would I want to be in Governor's Harbor or Hatchett Bay. No protection and Ironstone for a beach.
Old 21-08-2016, 08:55   #38

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodyssey View Post
can't thank you all enough, this is all fantastic.

so - based on these notes, my charts and stuff I've found online - here's the rough plan:

Tues - Gov's Harbour to Rock Sound
Wed - Rock Sound to Cape Eleuthera
Thurs - Cape Eleuthera to Norman's [Pond] Cay
Fri - [Revisit weather system] + head to Staniel Cay
Sat - head to Georgetown [have a mooring reserved at Kevalli's for a few months], tie her up for a few months, come back when I can post things like 'best rum runner suggestions?'

... of course, we all know how planning goes on a boat, but this would be the general idea.

any thoughts are welcome. much appreciated to all!
Don't be scared by Normans, it's shallow on the sides but very easy to read the water. And it's very soft. We watched a Irwin with over a 5' draft do it at high tide.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:59   #39

Boat: C&C

You should have no problem getting into Norman's Pond. I was in twice this winter with 20 ft beam and 3ft-4in draft. Just follow the Garmin preferred tracks if you have them on your plotter. Have someone on the bow with good polaroids. The bottom is all sand. Once your in, you may not want to leave, great holding!
However, the cel tower from Highbourne wasn't within reach, so getting weather updates could be a problem unless you have alternate means. They have the 4G equipment all in place but wasn't up and running then. Maybe by now??? Anybody else have a handle on this?
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:27   #40
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

the spaghetti chart I posted is from NOAA and showed Fiona as of Saturday evening.

I think the British Admiralty hurricane chain is in Marsh Harbour, not Black Sound; still Black and White Harbor/ Sound are cozy places to hide. I've never been there in a hurricane but did hide in White during very high Christmas Winds.
Old 21-08-2016, 11:51   #41

sadly, I'm single-handing, so think Norman's would be a perfect option in theory, but without a spotter? or is it doable at high tide?
Old 21-08-2016, 12:05   #42

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

It's doable, there are videos and pictures of the entrance and the bottom contours are easy to see. If it's blowing hard out of the east it might be tough.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:13   #43

Video of entrance. Might be helpful.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:16   #44

Seems like a great time of year to explore the Dominican Republic. Much better hurricane holes and cheaper beer.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 13:25   #45

been reading up on Norman's. have decided that if this system continues the way it's predicted to, then I'll brave that entry. if not, will just continue down the chain, stopping in at Stanley's.

and how's this for a newbie question. let's say this one doesn't hit, but I'm still in a slight rush to get down to Georgetown should another one creep up. give me your 'not all the time in the world, but a bit of time' highlights for cruising the Exumas. they've been what I'm most excited about in the Bahamas, so at least want to hit the must-sees.

[again, if there's a blow, I'll be hiding. this is just if there's not...]

Tags
Bahamas, hurricane