Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 19:03   #1

Boat: 1967 Grampian Classic 31
Hurricane Advice for Eleuthera, Bahamas

hi all.

there are 1001 articles written and to be read on this subject, but you all have helped me out more than any of them so far, so thought I'd turn to you first:

slight change of a hurricane coming in/around/through the Caribbean/Bahamas in the next 10 days.

I'm in a 31' sailboat, currently anchored in Governors Harbour.

a few primary questions:

1. Governors Harbour or Hatchet Bay? I spent time in Hatchet and it is indeed safe, but there are other boats on moorings and it's tight in there. Gov's is wide open, slight reprieve from the "hills", and I'm the only one here. also, it's huge.

2. things to prepare: stern line or secondary bow line? I'm going to remove the bimini if/once it gets close, but anything else? main and head are secured.

3. dumb question to some, but thought it worth asking: with the harbor being wide open, thoughts on staying aboard? it's shallow, with lots of room to move, should something come off. I'll have my important things already stored on-land, but wanted some advice as to staying on her [for as long as possible. obviously, if it gets up to a Cat 03 as they're saying, I wouldn't].

4. any other advice? currently researching how most boats sink, but will ask here as well. hitting other boats? with it being sand bottom here [mostly], wouldn't running aground be a small thing?

again, a lot of these might seem absurd and if so, feel free to correct me. new to this whole thing, really.

many thanks.

Odyssey
theodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 19:36   #2

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: Hurricane Advice for Eleuthera, Bahamas

Governors is not very protected from the west. Hatchet is great but all the other boats are the risk in there.

Further north, Royal Island is a possibility but I'm sure south swell may sneak in there and cause some rolling. Spanish wells may also be an option depending on your draft.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 19:37   #3

holding in Governers is not great, plus pretty exposed.
Holding about the same in Hatchet, but much better protection.
Waderick Wells?
Spanish Wells?

Prep,remove all things that add windage, sales,canvas,netting.
prep secondary anchor, deploy if you feel necessary. Lots of good chaffe protection on bridle/snubber. Tie on a back up snubber.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 19:58   #4

Boat: O'Day 302

Or get the hell out of dodge. Maybe try to sail west. It's still far out, but this is not a good track for you
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1471661874.105581.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	129817

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 20:52   #5

Boat: Tartan 37

Governors Harbour has no protection from the west, got caught there in a bad westerly squall and the holding is some of the worst. Dragging in 6ft waves is so much fun, went behind Levy Island and snag a rock held but bent the anchor. Royal Island or Hatchet Bay only options. Don't trust the moorings in Hatchet, saw one break loose and it didn't even have a boat on it. Holding is better in the North side. Forget Rock Sound, but might give Cape Eleuthera a try if I couldn't get out of town, or it wasn't a direct hit. Long and Cat Island got crushed last year.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 21:31   #6

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Sure running aground in sand is no big deal usuually.

Except when the water recedes and you find your boat is a couple dozen yards up on dry land. That sucks.
Old 20-08-2016, 04:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Eleuthera is no place for a cruiser to weather a storm. Governor's Harbour is among the worst places to anchor in sprightly conditions. The harbour has a few inches of sand, over coral, so it's your chain the holds you - not the anchor (except it's deadweight).

For instance ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-now-203.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 07:52   #8

can't thank everyone enough - this is information I need.

while it's too early to predict, it looks like - as the_alpine showed, it has the high possibility of bearing down right on me here in Eleuthera, so am going to high tail it to the Exumas on Tuesday morning, weather permitting.

will probably only get within striking distance of Shroud Cay [aprox area], so if anyone knows of a decent place to hide, I'm all ears. looks like if the storm goes as predicted, it'll brush Exumas, but not pound like it might here.

and good to know about Gov Harbour/Hatchet Bay. doesn't sound like any places I want to be near.

again, thank you.

[and GordMay - the Do it NOW post was really good, insightful and terrifying. appreciate you passing it on, though.]
Old 20-08-2016, 08:04   #9

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodyssey View Post
can't thank everyone enough - this is information I need.

while it's too early to predict, it looks like - as the_alpine showed, it has the high possibility of bearing down right on me here in Eleuthera, so am going to high tail it to the Exumas on Tuesday morning, weather permitting.

will probably only get within striking distance of Shroud Cay [aprox area], so if anyone knows of a decent place to hide, I'm all ears. looks like if the storm goes as predicted, it'll brush Exumas, but not pound like it might here.

and good to know about Gov Harbour/Hatchet Bay. doesn't sound like any places I want to be near.

again, thank you.

[and GordMay - the Do it NOW post was really good, insightful and terrifying. appreciate you passing it on, though.]
Cave Cay is where I would be headed, great all round protection
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 08:53   #10

Boat: Shannon 38

Rock Sound if you can't get out of the way. Plenty of room, sandy shores if you do drag ashore, good holding bottom, nearly 360 protection.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 09:00   #11

tried to 'add comment to 'thanks' option, but am not seeing it here.

would you aim for North Exumas? or down to Rock Sound?
Old 20-08-2016, 10:16   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodyssey View Post
tried to 'add comment to 'thanks' option, but am not seeing it here.

would you aim for North Exumas? or down to Rock Sound?
Rock sound holding is oK further out , near shore it's so so, but further out there's a lot of fetch so it can get nasty in there unless you move before wind veers, . Might shoot the marina at cave key an email, see if they have room. What is your draft? Cave cay has a bar in front thats maybe 4.5' ish? Normans cay has great holding and decent protection still could. Have so e waves from fetch but not as bad as rock sound. Normans does have a tricky entrance but 5' can do it with good tide. Gets much deeper inside. Not sure if the marina at highborn allows boats in a hurricane. . If you can get to George Town lots of spots there including hurricane holes 1,2,3. If you make a reservation.
We found holding and protection great in royal harbor by the way.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 10:33   #13

okay, so it looks like Norman's Cay might be my best option?

I draw 4', so should be able to squeeze in near tide.
Old 20-08-2016, 10:38   #14

I would opt for Waderick Wells mooring. A few boats have ridden out a hurricane there. Call park first make sure you can grab a ball.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 10:41   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Are you guys talking about Fiona or the next tropical wave? The NHC model page has Fiona going towards Bermuda then dissipating in about 120 hrs. I saw no models that put it anywhere near Eleuthera. The next system looks like it's more likely to cause problems in the Bahamas or Florida, but it's pretty far out there. The_alpine where did you get the graphic that shows a storm off of the Bahamas?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, hurricane