Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 12:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
hurricane prep while cruising the north east

It's hurricane season.
What to do as a cruising boat if a hurricane threatens?
We're currently on LIS.
What I've heard happens is most of the marina boats get hauled and the moored boats take the now vacant slips.
As a cruiser, there won't be any availability for a haulout, they're busy with local customers. Then the dock space gets filled by the thousands of moored boats. All the good holes are filled with moorings.

What do you experienced cruisers do when a hurricane threatens?

BTW, I'm thinking LIS & Cape Cod in Aug & early Sept; then Chesapeake late Sep thru mid Oct. I'll likely stay away from NJ if a 'cane is threatening.

Thanks
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 13:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: hurricane prep while cruising the north east

I don't know the waters of the NE, so all I can say is keep an eye on the weather. Today we have fairly good forecast tracks for hurricanes and if you are alert, and can move early, you should be able to find some protection. Don't wait until the last day.
Old 26-07-2012, 13:41   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i keep eye on weather. when threatened by bad weather, i hunker down in a marina and cover boat and tie the tarps to the boat with lies across the top to keep the protection from rain. use more than double lines to secure boat and i ready the engine and boat for literally running if neeed be, complete with ready anchorS..
i try to make sure i am in a marina that is protected from surge, swell and winds.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 13:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Bigger storms are more common later in the season say Aug to November. In almost all cases you should have 3 days warning. Storms in the northern regions have less predictability than southern storms only becuase the speed picks up once storms are north of NC. Number 1 is watch the warnings and act early. "Not being there" trumps all other actions. With 3 days you can be 200 miles away.

North of the NC / VA border will reduce the odds of something serious. The odds in VA are far lessless than being in NC for any storm that hits NC. So number 2 is reduce the odds. It's the second best after "not being there". Upper Chesapeake is pretty safe and has a lot of places to hide. For the NE and mid Atlantic don't overlook Nor'easters. They can kick your behind and even if not a named storm you can get slammed.

If you screw up and are stuck then moving inland up rivers as far as possible is also a good options. Getting out of the way is all part of not being there.

If you end up with a storm tie up the boat as best as possible then get off the boat!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:12   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Pretty unlikely in your cruising grounds, but regardless of venue, a marina is the last place you want to be in a hurricane.

Get way up stream somewhere, secure the boat as best you can, and get the hell off of it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:32   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

This is a good question that I have had, I have not had to go through a huricaine yet, but have gone through several tropical storms. With the tropical storms I moved out of the Marrina and tied off with 2 one inch lines and a chain to a good morring. Maybe over kill but the boat did not move, or get damaged at all, others in the marrina did not do so well. Seems most damage was caused by other boats crashing into others. I do like the option of getting out of its way but if the storm is moving up a coast where do you go? Maybe moving further north until it weakens could be an option.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

I'm not looking for instructions on storm prep, different topic, thanks.
On Long Isl sound & Cape Cod there will be no good marinas with last minute room, those that have room will get filled quick by the thousands of local boats on moorings. All the rivers are full of commerce, etc.
It seems a mooring is the only option, all the hurricane holes are filled.

What I really need is some local knowledge for this crowded part of the world.

Thnx
Old 26-07-2012, 18:57   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

About the only specific anyone can give not knowing what part of the NE you will be in is to ensure your boat insurance policy is up to date and find a nice dry and elevated bar which also has food. Can you be more specific about location? If not, which I understand if you are cruising, see above.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 23:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Illusion

Location is variable, I'm cruising. I mentioned in the OP, LIS & Cape Cod in Jul, Aug, early Sep then Chesapeake in late Sep, early Oct. I can move around when I see storm tracks.
The biggest problem area is LIS/Cape Cod where there are a lot of moorings in all the good spots and the marinas are quite crowded.
It looks like a mooring is the only option here
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33   #10

Not the case GettinThere. I've cruised the LIS/Cape for over 25 yrs during this time frame....late Aug early Sept....& we've had several "canes", Earl last year, the worst Bob. If it looks like anything serious is threating, all of the cape & islands totally shut down, with the worst scenario these harbors even pull floating docks. Almost all locals, even with the most remote threat, haul their boats, leaving some available dock space. The key is to be prepared & line up some dock space you're comfortable with early enough -perhaps several days in advance. Last year with Earl, we were in Nantucket & the Vinyard & got space behind the hurricane wall in New Bedford. Expected landfall in NYCity, this storm veered east slightly & expanded in size at the last moment with hurricane force winds over 100 mi out. We were caught in the eastern quadrant, & it was terrible for 18 hrs. We stayed on the boat on the dock keeping a vigilant watch, but several boats on the mooring field were lost, many of these broke free, keeping comercial tugs & boattowUS very busy. DON't leave your vessel on a mooring! As others suggested, there are tons of other up-river options in this LIS/Cape area. In hindsight, we should have stayed in Nantucket (almost did!) as returning there after the storm, many locals said it was nothing -we've had worst NorthEasters! This year will be our 28th annual cruise!! - take the good with the bad. With the past several years of increased hurricane activitiy, the odds are this year (& the next few probably!) we'll see none! Hpe this helps & good cruising!
CapnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:14   #11

I got caught cruising Long Island's east end when Hurrincane Earl came up the coast. Anchored in Three Mile Harbor in East Hampton on a little less than 100 feet of chain and a 33 lb Bruce:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: GOODBYE EARL!
Also had two Danforth's ready on deck in case I started dragging but, never needed them. Had very good holding there. I would stay away from the Connecticut side of the Sound during a storm. Lot's of rocks and storm surge could be a problem as it was with Hurricane Bob. Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island might be another good choice. Lot's of room and few other boats around.