Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24   #1

I am looking for a good place to keep my boat Mid-December through end of April.

I would like to keep my boat in the US Virgin Islands or the BVI. I have tried a couple of yards that I am familiar with and they are both full for in-water storage. Does anyone have any Yards that they would recommend OR Not recommend? I was looking online and do see a yard called Independent Boat Yard and Marina and it looks okay but you never know if you haven't actually seen the place or worked with them. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Lori B
S/V Barbara Jean
llbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: I am looking for a good place to keep my boat Mid-December through end of April.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lori.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:04   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: I am looking for a good place to keep my boat Mid-December through end of April.

Nani cay on Tortola.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:56   #4

Thank you for the input. I have actually contacted Nanny Cay and am waiting to hear back from them.
llbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:50   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Nani cay on Tortola.
Had a boat there and was good.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:45   #6

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

if its re-opened try manuel marina at sea cow bay in tortola. its "rollie" there but one can generally find a slip there because of that and because they charge for showers (a quarter for every minute). The marina is otherwise ok. Nelson Boothe runs barecat charters from there. you can probably hire him to keep an eye on your boat while you are away.

ps the struggling man located next door is great for local food and cold presidente beer
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:26   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Leverick bay, Gorda sound, Virgin Gorda

Superstar Hole, Tortola
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seawind 1600 52'

What type and size? in the water or out? I have a sailing school in the VIs and I have used several places, both in and out of the water.
-Scott
Captain Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:51   #9

Boat: PDQ 44i

Try Penns Landing Marina in Fat Hogs Bay, BVI. They may have protected moorings. We recommend them.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:52   #10
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Anywhere that is not US territory. Thieves and druggies inhabit the USVI's. Tortola was bad during the hurricane but back to normal. Might also want to try the Moorings HQ. Check to see if you can stay on board wherever you go. If so offer the boat to friends without sailing privilege's. Especially if she is in a slip.
Good luck
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 18:27   #11

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

There is nothing wrong with Independent Boat Yard Marina but I prefer next door at Compass Point Marina. Both are located in the lagoon a hurricane hole and affordable. I have left my boat at Compass Point for a winter season and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. Never heard of anyone there having break ins or anything stolen as there are many live aboard there, one of which happens to be employed at the marina.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat