Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 14:15   #1

I get the helm mid June in St. Lucia...

Okay, so I finally found the boat, got the offer accepted and have a closing date. The issue that I have is the timing of closing which is mid June. I've spent all of my sailing life in the Pacific so I don't have experience in the Caribbean.

Our plan is to live on the boat (42' cat) so I'm working on a plan. My plan does include the option of hiring a skipper that is experienced in the area to help get us where we need to go.

So, here's my question:

Given the timing of taking ownership of the boat, where should we go to be safe during hurricane season that allows for cruising while being safe?

I'm considering Granada as well as the ABC's but this is only based on reading that these are areas relatively safe from hurricanes.

I've been hearing negatives about Trinidad in light of the current political climate in the region.

Any advice is much appreciated.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 14:25   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: I get the helm mid June in St. Lucia...

We loved our time in Grenada - lovely island and wonderful people both locals and yachts. Also, unlike the ABCs you are not downwind of the eastern Caribbean if that is an area you would like to sail in. In general sailing in the EC is quite easy with islands close together and lots of variety between them.
Old 05-05-2019, 18:10   #3

Boat: Oyster 55

I have kept my boat in Granada as well as Curacao.
Agree with previous post. Grenada and the islands north are a much better cruising ground. Although Curacao does have it's charm. However as far as hurricanes are concerned Curacao is safer.
Certainly would avoid Trinidad for now.
As far as getting back east I know several people who would sail to St Martin yearly from Curacao then work there way down the chain.
We personally sailed to Jamaica when leaving Curacao then on to the Caymans and Cuba.
So there are a lot of options and I have no doubt a lot of opinions from other forum members so you can decide. Just to add to the stew I would throw in Colombia, Panama and Guatemala as Hurricane safe areas.
I wish you pleasant life long memories on wherever you choose.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:50   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I wouldnt go to curacao or any of the ABC's unless:

1. You are continuing on to Panama or other points west
2. You like bashing to windward for hundreds of miles to get back to Grenada or another of the EC islands.

Of course, you could always head north from there to PR or the BVI's but you are still likely to have the wind ahead of the beam most of the passage.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

And I second caradow - Grenada is a great place to hang out. If a hurricane is in the forecast you can always head south to Trinidad.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39   #6

Thanks for the info! I'm general, are there a lot of cruisers that spend the hurricane season in the Caribbean?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:19   #7

Boat: None

I could meet you in St Lucia and help you sail to Grenada. I did the trip last July. See my resume at 'sandstrom.org/avocation.htm'.

cheers, johan
GolfDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:44   #8

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm general, are there a lot of cruisers that spend the hurricane season in the Caribbean?
Go south. Easier to sail south anyways. Grenada is a good base to be at. If a storm is coming you have enough time to sail further south.
Yes many live aboard in the summer.
Fun people to.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Johan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm, St Lucia