Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 12:03   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
So the $300.00+ software you sell on your site, splashed all over the front page, does not count but ads on other sites, including this one, somehow makes them tainted? Just want to clarify. Chuck
There are no banner ads in our guidebook. We do sell software that supports the ActiveCaptain data - that's true. We're quite upfront about it and everyone knows that. We don't then have reviews showing why one software product is better than another especially ones that we don't sell.

Waterway Guide, on the other hand, takes expensive advertisements and then provides written commentary/editorial outside the ads about those facilities - generally saying how wonderful they are. And even worse, they then charge every boater for the privilege of owning the book full of ads! At least when I read an advertising-filled boating magazine, they give me the magazine for free.

Please Chuck - show me one negative sentence in any of your 6 guidebooks representing thousands of pages of text about any marina that has an ad in the guidebook. Just one sentence.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:06   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Jeffrey, maybe I'm not doing something right, but I tried zooming in on islands in the Abacos, and many are just roughly drawn blobs which only vaguely represent the actual islands. There's no detail, no anchor markings, no depths, many of the islands are mislabeled and many are not labeled at all. Is there something I need to do to get more detail?
I was referring to the Navimatics Charts & Tides app for iPhone and iPad. There are no depth soundings but all of the ActiveCaptain data is available for the Bahamas in those apps. The web site allows you to use the map mode and satellite imagery for the Bahamas. There are no free charts available so there's no way to show nautical charts publicly.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 15:56   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
we use all the above -- have paper charts (navonics in bahamas is not great) - cruising guides and active capt -- we do try to update active capt when we can and fill in some interests to cruisers like us -- but i would get paper charts and if using navonics electronic charts be very careful - and we love our cruising guides and as someone said yachtsman guide is a waste of money

chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the wall cambridge md
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49   #34

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I was referring to the Navimatics Charts & Tides app for iPhone and iPad. There are no depth soundings but all of the ActiveCaptain data is available for the Bahamas in those apps. The web site allows you to use the map mode and satellite imagery for the Bahamas. There are no free charts available so there's no way to show nautical charts publicly.
Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, icw