Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2009, 05:45   #16

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5 - Be Leaving
I did Charleston to Lake Worth over the last several weeks and had zero issues with CG and, for the most part, other boaters. I was, however, stunned by the chaos south of Jupiter Inlet to North Palm. Traffic in the narrow sections of the ICW was busy and most motor boaters seemed to be oblivious to others. We were constantly, I mean constantly waked by power boats, including the local sheriff's skiff. One clown blocked our passage through a lift bridge as he fed pelicans from his power boat. Another meat head blew between our boat and a small family boat with a foot to spare, almost dumping our passengers. It would bring me joy if the CG monitored the reckless drivers instead of checking out the safety equipment on dinghies.
Old 27-12-2009, 07:10   #17

Strikes me as a rather large waste of taxpayers' money and I agree with the facism comment. Surely there's more productive things they could be doing. The damage done by wakes is massive yet no one seems to give a crap about that.

So what do the Y Valve police want to see? Just shut? Or shut and wire tied shut? What about macerator pumps? Just a closed seacock? Or closed and held closed by a wire tie?

Are there actually lots of pump outs on the ICW? Because in all the blogs I read, I never see anyone write "pulled in at Marina XYZ 'cause we needed to pump out".
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 09:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We've traveled a portion of the ICW every year since 1971 and a round trip from Florida to, a least, the Chesapeake every year since 2002. Over these years we have been stopped twice by authorities. Once in 1989 we were ticketed for an expired registration sticker in Volusia County, Florida while returning from the Bahamas. The officer was just and polite. Again, in 2006, we were stopped and boarded by DNR officers in Georgia. They politely interviewed us regarding our journey. Over these 38 years of ICW travel we have never been "inspected". I'm posting this for "balance" as I expect more people would be motivated to share their problems than non-issues. Boating in South Florida can be just as great a shock as a motorist from "Mayberry" driving in New York City. People here have a different tradition and expectation on the water,- you'll come to expect a closer traffic pattern and a little "rock & roll". 'take care and joy. Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 09:33   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Not sure of anybody else, but never been bothered when in transit
except by radio, all interviews/boarding occurred at anchor.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 10:47   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Interesting, - I posted the account of my two encounters while underway. I've never been approached or questioned when at anchor.
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 11:40   #21

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
5 trips between Chesapeke and FL on the ICW in the last 3 years and have never been stopped. Would not really mind. I think if you do not look like the "Clampets" and the boat is on her lines they will not be interested unless they are training newbes that day nd simply using you as a classroom. The ICW is a great cruise. do not hesitate just go.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 17:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37
otherwise no hassles except speeding in manatee zones.
Too bad the penalty for that isn't confiscation of your boat and 5 years in prison! Maybe then people would actually respect the "Manatee Zone" signs and fewer of the gentle giants would be killed by thoughtless jerks.

(All possible offense intended to any thoughtless jerks who speed through manatee zones. I can only hope that most of the folks on this board do not qualify.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 17:47   #23

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
(All possible offense intended to any thoughtless jerks who speed through manatee zones. I can only hope that most of the folks on this board do not qualify.)
Most of the folks on this board cant do more than 7 knots...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 03:58   #24

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Stopped only once from CT to FL, that was at Kings Bay to allow one of our Subs to enter the pens. They were very proffessional and we actually enjoyed the show of bringing her in....
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 15:00   #25

Stopped once

In the past four years, I have done NY back to La twice. Both times in the fall, with lots of migratory boats going same way. I have been boarded by the coasties on time. They were very nice and courteous, no problem at all.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw