Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 22:50   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Iles des Saintes Multiservices Hours?

I understand that you now clear in les Saintes at the Multiservices. Does anyone know if it is possible to clear in on a Sunday possibly paying an overtime rate? We're planning to be there next Sunday, Jan 19.

One website I read said you didn't need to clear in there and could just clear at Guadaloupe when you go there. But that doesn't make much sense. I doubt that anyone but the Captain can go to shore without clearing in.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 00:13   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Iles des Saintes Multiservices Hours?

Clearance on the French islands is done by computer. Yes, you need to clear in at Iles des Saintes if you stop there. I can't remember the name of the shop but the computers are upstairs in a small bistro/internet cafe. All of your crew and passengers can go with you while you do the computer work. I'm not sure if the shop is open on Sunday but we have never had to pay any overtime rates on any of the French islands - just the regular fees. Hope you enjoy Iles des Saintes - it is a great stop!
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:58   #3

One more item on this topic. Are the computers there set up with English as well as French? Just a bit worried about that detail.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
Old 12-01-2014, 05:14   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35

Yes, they are in English. However, there are a few keys that are not where we are used to finding them - the "a" is one and not sure but maybe the "m". Most shopkeepers speak fairly good English also. There is a great resource found at many chandleries called "French for Cruisers" - great book. I carry it with me in my backpack when we go exploring. I have the Spanish one for our next several countries. Bon voyage!
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:25   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Lol - my biggest issue when clearing in on the French systems is not the language, I speak French, but that I'm a touch-typist and the keyboards are French with the important letter randomly dispersed to new positions on the keyboard.
The Saintes are more French than many places, so getting by with English isn't always easy, but they are very friendly there.

The Multiservices on the Saintes are my absolute favorite.

When they collect the mooring fee you can ask them about delivering fresh breakfast - for no surcharge you get fresh baguettes and croissants and other delicacies delivered to your boat before 8am!

Clearance is done at the Multiservice office on the first floor close to the main dock. If you look shorewards from the ferry dock, the office/cybercafé is to the right about 50m and there is a sign hanging outside. They open late (I remember waiting around in front a couple of times waiting for them to open) but have a computer reserved for clearance and the fee is something 5.19 Euros (5 Euros plus V.A.T.). They are open on Sundays and while the French are pretty relaxed about clearances it is so easy and quick to do that risking problems by skipping clearance at the Saintes in favor of Guadeloupe just isn't worth it. It is also easier to clear in at the Saintes with the dedicated dinghy dock (left of the main ferry dock when looking shorewards) than at PtP or Deshaies.

Here's the friendly collectors coming by, treat them nicely and they will reciprocate!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Lol - my biggest issue when clearing in on the French systems is not the language, I speak French, but that I'm a touch-typist and the keyboards are French with the important letter randomly dispersed to new positions on the keyboard...
With the layout of the French keyboard, known as AZERTY, you'll find (among other changes) that the A and Q have switched places, W and Z have switched, and M is where the semi-colon used to be. In addition, numbers require the shift key.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AZERTY french keyboard.png
Views:	140
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	73797  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:46   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

When they collect the mooring fee you can ask them about delivering fresh breakfast - for no surcharge you get fresh baguettes and croissants and other delicacies delivered to your boat before 8am!
Sweet Jesus you get this and your worried bout a few keys on the keyboard. !!!!! Cruising is lost on cruisers !

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 10:46   #8

GordMay - I don't think you quite understand, I'm a touch-typist and I know exactly which keys have been transposed, I even worked in France for a year using French keyboards and need no additional information on their layout. The problem is that the fingers move to their QWERTY (or QWERTZ layout which I use more often than not) of their own accord, making typing on this keyboard difficult.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sweet Jesus you get this and your worried bout a few keys on the keyboard. !!!!! Cruising is lost on cruisers !
Dave
Whenever I get asked what I consider the biggest luxury that I've encountered while sailing I respond that it is the fresh baguettes and croissants delivered to the boat by the Multiservices in the Saintes.

D**n the torpedoes keyboards and full speed ahead towards the Saintes!
Old 12-01-2014, 13:50   #10

Thanks all for your input. This was very helpful.

Tags
service