Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2013, 06:34   #1

info on Puerto Rico

Hi All,
My name is Harry and I am new to this forum and this sport, sort of. I am aboard a 92' Cheoy Lee Motoryacht registered in the BVI. I am at harbor on Virgin Gorda specifically. I need to take the boat to Puerto Rico and am wondering about procedures for entry. I am a US citizen with a US passport and am now looking for a Captain to make the cruise. We are only about 90 miles from Puerto Rico, but from what I can find out customs in PR can get a little tricky. The people on board will consist of myself, another fellow (who will crew for passage), and the Captain. One other thing, I had a massive heart attack some years back and take a lot of prescription medication. I do not have the actual prescription, but all medicine has my name on it. Any help will be appreciated greatly.
Harry
harryr6574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 07:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: info on Puerto Rico

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Harry.

See ➥ http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Pu...ties#Clearance

And ➥ http://freecruisingguides.com/puerto-rico/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 07:22   #3

Clear in first into the U.S.V.I. at Cruz bay , then no other clearance is required to enter P.R. .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 07:23   #4

Boat: Boatless

Hello Harry,

Marina Puerto Del Rey is where I would bring the boat and I would speak to June who is an office manager there and lives in the marina. She will be able to guide you regarding all current customs and immigration regulations which can get a little tricky in Puerto Rico. Marina Puerto Del Rey is a large, well equipped marina located in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. The staff is helpful and friendly and are English speaking.

Puerto del Rey

You can reach June at (787)860-1000 | marina@puertodelrey.com

If there is anything further we may do to assist we are happy to help..
Sincerely
Capt. Nell Kellett
SV Moon Dancer

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 07:40   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistarckle View Post
Clear in first into the U.S.V.I. at Cruz bay , then no other clearance is required to enter P.R. .
That is absolutely wrong. I take US registered boats from the USVI to PR dozens of times a year. I have not taken a foreign flagged vessel so can't comment on what that entails but can't imagine it would be less involved. From Noonsite. ---All yachts (including American yachts) coming from the US Virgin Islands must report their arrival in Puerto Rico.---
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 08:16   #6

Boat: IP 31' sloop

How about leaving the states going direct to PR?
Old 31-10-2013, 08:47   #7

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperr100 View Post
How about leaving the states going direct to PR?
The OP said;

Quote:
..... I am aboard a 92' Cheoy Lee Motoryacht registered in the BVI. I am at harbor on Virgin Gorda specifically.....
He is in the BVI now,
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 10:12   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I know that the USVI don't enforce cruising permit rules for visiting yachts as is done on mainland USA and assume (which can be dangerous and expensive when it comes to the authorities) that Puerto Rico does the same.
Also don't forget that the skipper needs to be either a U.S. citizen or have a visa so the he/she may enter the USA by private vessel. Since you are in the BVI one can (legally) circumvent this by taking the ferry, entering using the visa waiver program, then keeping the I-90 form when returning to the BVI, subsequently one can enter the USA by sailboat using the I-90.

I have 2 or 3 more weeks before I return to the BVI - perhaps our wakes might cross.
Old 31-10-2013, 13:06   #9

I cannot begin to tell everyone who has responded how much I appreciate the input. I have a line on a Puerto Rican Captain who operates a charter service from Puerto Rico and who know all the regs and the people that enforce them. At least according to a previous employer that highly recommended him. Don't know if this will work out so I await anyone's thought on the subject. Once again thanks all.
Harry
harryr6574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 18:53   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

When I went from the BVIs to the Puerto Rico this summer, I cleared in by phone, but I was on a U.S. flag ship. I believe one can not file the Custom's decal on a foreign flagged ship, but that may be worth verifying.

I second what S/V Faith said. I called to confirm that and was told one needed to clear into PR, even if one was cleared into the USVI.

It was actually leaving the PR, for the DR. that I kept getting buzzed by the Coast Guard.

There is a thread here some where in which cruisers discussed the ease of clearing in at various PR ports, but I could not find it easily. Spending some more time to search for it may be fruitful. (I participated in it prior to my cruise in maybe April?)

All the best.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49   #11

Boat: IP 31' sloop

anyone know if I can use a visa to enter bahamas?
Old 02-11-2013, 18:08   #12

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
To enter The Bahamas, you may not need a visa. Depends on your citizenship. Also according to the Immigration Act, crew do not need any visa for The Bahamas.
Old 16-11-2013, 04:38   #13

Boat: Lagoon 410, 41 ft

Hy guys, what do you mean Zanshin, that you have to be US citizen to enter the US, I am Canadian with a Canadian ship and always cruise the us waters in the summer, with my registration and my normal passport. Is this not the same for the us virgins?? Hope to hear the real thing, for we are scedualed to sail there this coming February
raphaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 05:13   #14

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I know that the USVI don't enforce cruising permit rules for visiting yachts as is done on mainland USA and assume (which can be dangerous and expensive when it comes to the authorities) that Puerto Rico does the same.

I have beeen to USVI on my British boat with "alien" crew.

Unlike in USVI, in PR they issue cruising permits as in the continental US. I understand the explanation is that USVI is a special customs zone.

The enforcement in PR is similar as in continental US but you only need to report to them when you move across "areas" that are fairly large. Therefore you do not need to report frequently. In addition, they give you a card with phone numbers that actually are answered by people who are knowledgeable and friendly. In my book CBP in Puerto Rico gets an A+
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 00:28   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 57

svlamorcha - thanks for that information. Does that mean that the Spanish Virgins are also analogous to Puerto Rico rather than the USVI when it comes to cruising and foreign vessels?

Tags
Puerto Rico