Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2009, 07:02   #16

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Zeehag, Cell cards are NOT WIFI is the point being made. They are a totally different method of connecting to the internet.

osirissle, it is a misrepresentation to say that WIFI it available "just about everywhere". It is ONLY available at Hot Spots and they are only available when you are near in or near them with the correct equipment. Most can not be acquired while your in most anchorages... only a few and almost none available when underway.

WIFI is not something you can "depend" on having available when you Need it... only when you are near a Hot Spot can you hope to Have it and then in the islands that is not assured. Outages are very common.

The Cell connection is the more reliable way but it has outages but at a somewhat lesser rate than you see at WIFI locations. You do need to know what your contract says. It has only been recently that in the BVI's you could have month to month plans rather than the year long contracts. All companies are having to move to more competitive offers to gain and hold clients. Same as it has been in the US.
Old 13-07-2009, 07:57   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Zeehag, Cell cards are NOT WIFI is the point being made. They are a totally different method of connecting to the internet.

osirissle, it is a misrepresentation to say that WIFI it available "just about everywhere". It is ONLY available at Hot Spots and they are only available when you are near in or near them with the correct equipment. Most can not be acquired while your in most anchorages... only a few and almost none available when underway.

WIFI is not something you can "depend" on having available when you Need it... only when you are near a Hot Spot can you hope to Have it and then in the islands that is not assured. Outages are very common.

The Cell connection is the more reliable way but it has outages but at a somewhat lesser rate than you see at WIFI locations. You do need to know what your contract says. It has only been recently that in the BVI's you could have month to month plans rather than the year long contracts. All companies are having to move to more competitive offers to gain and hold clients. Same as it has been in the US.

this is why i use my sprint card which i KNOW is NOT wifi, despite the fact it says it does both...i donot trust wifi, as it is a signal which is not always there...hence the rave-rv 2 1/2 ft long antenna i bought once upon a time and still have....doesnt always have a signal to pick up. in th evirgins the wifi cafes had decent signal...fairly reliable, but i didnt find same at the boat when i was there last december.
\for that reason i have a 2 yr contract and a sprint card for my cell-based broadband--dial up........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote