Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2008, 21:43   #1

Internet In The Bahamas ?

I was just wandering what the internet connection is like in the Bahamas.

Do the ports around there have it via wireless?

Is there a wireless plan to get it if you decide to go out and not stay at a port for a while?

I’ve been looking but, god those plans are confusing if you just read it on a site and in this one-horse town I live in, going to a store and talking is useless. I could call and talk to someone in whatever company (Sprint and the like) that would know these things but, I thought I’d post first and see what anyone here would have to say.

It beats spelling out my handle
shinkoiwanojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:03   #2

Boat: 42SS' Carver 'Bear Essentials II'
Hi,

Our experience has been mixed. We were able to tap in to a wireless net at a marina in Nassau - it wasn't the finest connection in the world, but it was acceptable.

Other marinas (such as Cat Cay) didn't have one available.

We recently got an 'air card' from ATT. ATT is good because they use the same cellphone signal type (GSM) as they use in the Bahamas. Unfortunately, we weren't able to use and test it out on our last trip. A possible 'down check' on using an aircard is that you'll end up paying roaming charges as it's being carried on a cellphone signal.

Anyway, that's our experiences. If anyone has better ideas, we'd love to hear them!

Regards,
Dinner Key Marina
Bear Essentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:42   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
We were just there in June for 3 weeks. We bought local cards for access. They can be used anywhere there is a tower I believe. My wife used them, and was happy with the speed........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:51   #4

In the Exumas it is tough. In the Abacos you can get a monthly supscription and wifi form the same supplier is available in ALL the major harbors and is quite robust.
Out Island Inter.Net Wireless Locations

Not cheap by US standards but more affordable than cell phones AND you can use skype for phone calls using the service.
1 Month $120.00
3 Months $195.00
6 Months $390.00

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 09:18   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
In the Abacos readily available from Manjack Cay south, mostly free (wardriving). In Exumas, Staniel Cay, free at SCYC and Georgetown, pay service and the odd "free" signal if you know where to anchor. Lots in Nassau, free Starbucks and the odd hotel. Pay service in harbour (not too reliable). Get a good antenna.
Old 29-08-2008, 09:46   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Ditto on the Out Island Internet service in the Abacos. I bought 3 months and called them when we left for Exumas after 2 months. They stopped my subscription and resumed it when I returned a month later. That was nice.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 13:04   #7

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
We used out island in green turtle, it worked well with my range expander, but the laptops couldnt see it easily without it. Speed was good, it was reliable. Logged my wife out a few times when she was using gotmypc to her office, but it was definitely better then going ashore to a cafe.

Ladybug had radiolabs usb dealio and he was getting great connections, i've built a similar system for my boat, but haven't used it there.

I had a sprint EVDO card and now have an alltel card, however i didn't want to risk connecting it and paying the data rates. As mentioned bahamas I believe uses HSPDA, like att, so they may have a roaming agreement, but if it's anything like cellphone roaming you can expect a huge bill two or three months after you get back.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 20:32   #8

Thanks guys. That helps.

It beats spelling out my handle
shinkoiwanojay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas