Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 20:27   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)
Is it crazy to sail BVI in summer?

We are planning to sail from New England to the Caribbean (myself, wife and two boys ages 16 and 11). Our original plan was to depart fall of 2020 but now are contemplating sailing her there fall 2019 and leaving her in the BVI for the winter (instead of stuck on the dry in frigid New England) and flying there some during winter but then full time starting July 2020 and sail only in the virgins until the hurricane season is over with arrangements to always go dry at Nanny Cay if there is a storm.

We are very fortunate that my Dad has a nearly hurricane proof home on Tortola at Sopers Hole (survived Irma with minimal damage) so we have a safe shelter, compete with storm moorings in front (though as mentioned would never leave her on a mooring in a named storm). Worth mentioning is that I went to the BVI a few weeks after Irma to help with recovery so I’m quite familiar with and respectful of the power of these storms! (And have weathered lesser hurricanes there, though on land)

Is this crazy?
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 07:01   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Is it crazy to sail BVI in summer?

Not sure why you would even suspect that it's crazy? The only suspicious part I see is the plan to sail to the BVI from NE in the autumn, but other than the timing of the delivery I don't see anything outrageous. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 09:51   #3

Not crazy at all! We did a charter in late June early July. Had wonderful weather. Didn't get rained on once during the day and while underway.

Some of the minuses
It will be hotter than in Winter and spring so you may want air conditioning.
The trade winds may not be as consistent and not as boisterous as in winter and spring.
some beach bars and restaurants may be closed (not sure how many are back since Irma though (e.g. Saba rock, BEYC still closed...)

Positives
You also shouldn't need to worry about winter north swells making some anchorages uncomfortable (as much)
It will also be way less crowded!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 13:44   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

In the past (80's) we might see one or two cruising boats (total) come in during the summer and through about the end of August but now its pretty much jam packed year round.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 12:04   #5

Thanks all. Sounds very promising, and I think we are going to go for it! Of course my current insurance (Pure) won't cover us, so I'm now shopping (yet again) for an insurance provider.

(sorry for delay in responding - we were out cruising and I generally stay off the 'net when out)
Old 28-08-2018, 12:39   #6

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

When you say “fall of 2019”. are you talking about September -October ? With respect to the other posters, I would not recommend sailing from New England to the BVI during late hurricane season.

There is a reason that your insurance company won’t cover you during this time. It’s your decision, but in my opinion I would choose another time to make the trip.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
When you say “fall of 2019”. are you talking about September -October ? With respect to the other posters, I would not recommend sailing from New England to the BVI during late hurricane season.

There is a reason that your insurance company won’t cover you during this time. It’s your decision, but in my opinion I would choose another time to make the trip.

Steve
No - I'd be leaving in November after the season is over. But that isn't the insurance issue - it's that we intend on sailing in the virgin islands during the following summer (thru the season) that makes them unhappy (even though we would always go dry on any named storm warning/watch). There are companies that will do it ... but it won't come cheap!
Old 28-08-2018, 22:37   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Thanks for clarifying. Have a great trip to the BVI’s and sailing while you were there!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:54   #9

Boat: Oyster 55

Because of insurance issues (been there) have you thought about going further south just for the summer then returning to the BVI's in the winter?
Say maybe Grenada or even better Curacao.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 06:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Because of insurance issues (been there) have you thought about going further south just for the summer then returning to the BVI's in the winter?
Say maybe Grenada or even better Curacao.
It all comes down to timing. Kids will still be in public school until last week of June (2020). So I'll sail the boat with crew (not family) to the BVI in Nov 2019, and leave her there (I have family there) and do winter vacation trips to sail around BVI. Then when kids are done with school, the family will fly out and start the year+ trip.

We could then quickly move her south, though we are getting onto the edge of the season, and I was hoping to not have to pull a "get out of dodge" trip as our first leg but rather do the lazy trip down and back. Hence why staying in the BVI, with family and free mooring, and with reservations at Nanny Cay for going dry on any storm, felt like an interesting possibility...?
Old 29-08-2018, 11:53   #11

Boat: Oyster 55

Ha I understand however storms can come up quickly.
By that plan I assume you will be on the boat the entire summer?

Insurance companies are a big PITA however a necessity.
I tried getting insurance for going to Cuba and failed on numerous occasions so......just went twice without...kinda crazy I know but wanted to see Cuba before it became another "hotspot" but looks like it will be awhile.
But would never chance Hurricane season without insurance so I feel your pain.

Anyway you are heading for a great time. Did keep my boat in Sopers Hole for the winter years ago and it worked out well.....beautiful spot. You are very lucky. My only complaint about the BVI's is that they are just too crowed these days otherwise fantastic adventure especially with kids.....wishing you a great experience.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 12:24   #12

Yes, on board entire summer … except when mother nature decides that is a bad thing - and then to dry and shore!

Thanks for your thoughts and wishes. We are very excited! I'll post back when I learn about insurance - should be humorous at the least...
Old 30-08-2018, 09:56   #13

Sounds like a great adventure! Let me know if you are looking for some crew to get you down to the BVIs for a leg or two! I am looking to get experience on some passage sailing. and generally always looking to get an excuse to sail.

pm me if you are interested and I can send you a "resume"..

Cheers
Jeremy
Old 30-08-2018, 10:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
Sounds like a great adventure! Let me know if you are looking for some crew to get you down to the BVIs for a leg or two! I am looking to get experience on some passage sailing. and generally always looking to get an excuse to sail.

pm me if you are interested and I can send you a "resume"..

Cheers
Jeremy
Thanks, Jeremy. Its still a bit early before we round up the crew, but I may well have a spot or two for the crossing! Planning on four, and I have myself and a seasoned offshore "captain" right now (I also don't have much offshore, only NE coastal and occasional Caribbean chartering) I'll keep you in mind...
Old 30-08-2018, 11:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
Thanks, Jeremy. Its still a bit early before we round up the crew, but I may well have a spot or two for the crossing! Planning on four, and I have myself and a seasoned offshore "captain" right now (I also don't have much offshore, only NE coastal and occasional Caribbean chartering) I'll keep you in mind...
Of course! Nov 2019 is a long ways away. I have a bareboat cruise in Grenada and the Grenadines in May with my wife and three other couples to keep me occupied. Always looking for the next adventure though. Good luck with the planning and prep and if you are looking for crew let me know

Tags
BVI, sail