Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:01   #1

Boat: Sabre 30
June Charter: Nevis or St Kitts to Barbuda ?

I've booked a 10 day charter from St Martin to Antigua, in June, on a 40 ft Cat. I know it's not the best direction, but it got me the best flight deal...
Current plan is to go St Martin to St Barts then to Statia and down to Nevis. I am looking for advice on things to do and places to anchor on Statia, St Kitts and Nevis.
Then I really want to get to Barbuda, but don't want to go via Antigua as that seems to add too many long passages.
Does anyone know about going direct from St Kitts or Nevis to Barbuda? And checking into Barbuda?
captaincarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: June Charter: Nevis or St Kitts to Barbuda?

Hi, captaincarl.

It's an upwind sail to either Barbuda or Antigua from Nevis, and there's generally some adverse current, too, so you can pretty much count on motor sailing the rhumbline. Leaving from the anchorage at Pinneys Beach on Nevis, it's about 55 nm to the west coast of Barbuda, compared with 47 nm to Jolly Harbour, Antigua.

So, the trip up to Barbuda is doable if you leave early in the morning. The winds that time of year are usually ESE, which somewhat favors Barbuda as a destination over Antigua. You'd have to anchor off the nine mile beach and clear in the next morning. Two ways to do that--drag your dinghy across the beach and putt-putt across the lagoon to Codrington, or beach the dinghy and call a water taxi to take you over and bring you back. If you do the latter, you could arrange for a guided visit to the frigate bird rookery later that day, and perhaps negotiate a package deal. Be sure to check Chris Doyle's guidebook for info.

Statia has only one anchorage, right off the town. It's is incredibly rolly if there's any swell running, luckily not too likely in June. Saba is an interesting stop, with good snorkeling/diving. To visit St Kitts and Nevis, I recommend coming to Nevis and clearing in in Charlestown. The anchorage at Basseterre, St Kitts is not the most attractive place to spend the night. In Nevis, you can get a cruising permit to go to St Kitts SE peninsula bays if you want to--Cockleshell, Majors, Ballast, White House. The first one has a couple of restaurants on the beach; the others are pretty much deserted.

On Nevis you're required to take a government mooring at US$15 for three nights or US$20 for a week. The exception would be in Oualie Bay, where the locals have taken all the moorings. Most cruisers moor off the southern end of Pinneys Beach where there are several good beach bar/restaurants with free WiFi.

If you want to have a look ashore on St Kitts, catch the ferry from Charlestown to Basseterre US$10 pp. Take a taxi tour of the island, walk around Basseterre and then catch the 4 pm ferry back for happy hour at Sunshines.

Let me know if you need any more info.

p.s. welcome to Cruisers Forum. Hope you hang around and enjoy it here.
Old 12-03-2011, 16:12   #3

Re: June Charter: Nevis or St Kitts to Barbuda?

Thanks for the quick response Hud, I was thinking the wind would favor Barbuda in June. The more from the south the better. But it looks like it adds an hour. Barbuda is not off limits but the charter company seemed to be strongly recommending that you go via Antigua. Was wondering what the reasons might be. Read Doyles guide on Barbuda and it looks good. Figure we would spend one night at Statia and then sail down to Nevis for a couple of days. Should not be too crowded at that time of year.

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like there is lots of activity on the forums. I see you had a Island Packet. We chartered a IP35 in the Chesapeake Bay about 20 yrs ago. Wanted a nice stable boat when our first child was only about 5 mos old.
Old 12-03-2011, 17:24   #4

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Re: June Charter: Nevis or St Kitts to Barbuda ?

Love Statia.... On a 40 ft cat it wont be that rolly...even if it is rough... I have been there baout 5 or 6 times.. a couple of times it was a little rough but still didnt loose any sleep Amazing snorkeling and awesome hiking... great little island!!!!!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:26   #5

Re: June Charter: Nevis or St Kitts to Barbuda ?

Any more tips on Statia? favorite snorkling areas, restaurants, hikes. Is the hike to the volcano crater worth it. Other hidden treasures?

Tags
charter, Nevis, nevis