Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 00:40   #16

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Just arrived in Grenada

Just as an aside, what are you using for internet these days while anchored out there TigerPaws and daletournier? What type of speed and at what cost? THANKS, and have another rum while you type your reply to me.

Used to cruise down island there with the bilges literally full of Mount Gay rum. Normally ashore at Kingstown, St Vincent was the cheapest place to buy. We would go around several shops and negotiate to buy multiple cases, but that was a very long time ago now. And I guess, speaking of St Vincent, we weren't so afraid then either, or could be that we were simply more foolish too!

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:11   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Just as an aside, what are you using for internet these days while anchored out there TigerPaws and daletournier? What type of speed and at what cost? THANKS, and have another rum while you type your reply to me.

Used to cruise down island there with the bilges literally full of Mount Gay rum. Normally ashore at Kingstown, St Vincent was the cheapest place to buy. We would go around several shops and negotiate to buy multiple cases, but that was a very long time ago now. And I guess, speaking of St Vincent, we weren't so afraid then either, or could be that we were simply more foolish too!

Local carrier Digicel. 95 ec for 8gig. Purchased in in Grenada and have coverage through out most of the grenadines, patchy at the cays. I'm not a tec guy so cant give you exact speed but it's been fine, Utube etc. But most importantly never miss my dose of daily conflict here in cruisers forum[emoji2]

Apparently at Martinique you can get 50 gig for 50 euro that will work all the way to Trinidad?.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:34   #18

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Thanks for the info. Pricing not bad I guess, but still not that cheap. The French pricing sounds more attractive if it will work throughout the island chain.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:19   #19
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Maybe I should change the heading to arrive at Palm Island?

Anyway arrived yesterday afternoon after a very fast passage, the wind was perfect as I was able to push 18 knots for over an hour with the dagger boards down. I usually do not push for that much speed but I was feeling the need, "The Need for Speed".

As for the internet, yes the French system is a bit pricy but it works very well, the issue is getting the signal which I have pretty much solved with an amplified directional antenna. Still everything depends on the distance to the source transmitter and what if anything is in-between to block the signal. I do have a back-up which is my sat phone or via Ham radio but that is slow.

SeaQuest OE II
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:40   #20

Instead of pricey, isn't the French system actually cheaper, or are my mathematical skills to be found wanting... ?

50GB @ 50 euros = 1 euro per GB

8GB @ 95 EC / 31 euros = 3.87 euros per GB

or... ?
Old 09-08-2019, 15:06   #21
cruiser

Getting a 56K connection aboard is about the best I get, usually it is much slower. Right now I am getting 48K to 50K so I am doing well.

A great deal depends on the weather, when it is nasty and you want a better connection inside you get the worst connection and when the sea is calm the connection is better.

Oh well there is always another glass of Sweet, Dark Rum... Yum...

SeaQuest OE II
Old 09-08-2019, 16:34   #22

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

I thought I knew Grenada and surrounds quite well. Where is Palm Island?

Edit: found it. Nothing more than a 3 iron from Union Island outer bouy.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 07:24   #23
cruiser

Maybe I should start a new thread "Just arrived at Palm Island"? LoL!

The nice thing about Hurricane season is the lack of tourists, that and the beginning of the school year. Like W.C. Fields once said ("Anyone who hates dogs, cats and kids can't be all bad").

The weather and water is near perfect now and with fewer boats around things are going great. I have been making day trips to several out of the way dive spots which have been devoid of people.... Nice to have some peace and quiet for a change.

Watching the sat images daily for any indications of storm development, so far so good but this will not last.

SeaQuest OE II
Old 15-08-2019, 10:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
Maybe I should start a new thread "Just arrived at Palm Island"? LoL!

The nice thing about Hurricane season is the lack of tourists, that and the beginning of the school year. Like W.C. Fields once said ("Anyone who hates dogs, cats and kids can't be all bad").

The weather and water is near perfect now and with fewer boats around things are going great. I have been making day trips to several out of the way dive spots which have been devoid of people.... Nice to have some peace and quiet for a change.

Watching the sat images daily for any indications of storm development, so far so good but this will not last.

SeaQuest OE II
See if you can get a day pass! $$$$$$$$ but all inclusive drinks, use of the facilities and lunch. Did that with my wife and some friends for a day in June. what a great place!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 15:18   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
See if you can get a day pass! $$$$$$$$ but all inclusive drinks, use of the facilities and lunch. Did that with my wife and some friends for a day in June. what a great place!
Thank you but I do my best to avoid such places, unless I have a Lady aboard. Then I will make an exception.

SeaQuest OE II

Tags
Grenada