Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 08:51   #1

Just got back! Tips & Observations BVI

First I would like to thank all those that gave me advice prior to my trip much of it came in handy. I would like to share some tips of my own.

Charterers: Mom,Dad,2 Sons,3 Nieces - 7 total all between 20-23 yrs
12/17 - 12/24 location BVI. Charter service Dream Yacht Charters out of Hodges Creek Marina, Tortola. 2015 Lagoon 40S2. Good size/price could have gone up to 42’.

Prior to booking (setting the guest list): know your crew (extended family) because you will at the end of the trip. Verify everyone knows how to swim and is comfortable in and around water. Explain that it is not a cruise but more like camping on water in an apartment. It is a working vacation that will be very rewarding but some work is involved. Stress the good attitude and the ability to roll with it (literally). If you have any prince or princesses make sure they understand this. Health and stamina are important. If you’re inviting anyone on the plush side know that this has its challenges. You are always in motion on unstable platforms (in and out of tenders). It's hard for + size folks to get into tenders when snorkeling or stepping in and out and could put everyone else in the drink.

Travel day: I got on Amazon and bought everyone matching duffels $18 per (different colors) to make sure they would fit for carry on and be soft sided (one less worry). Worked out great. Bring your own coffee, tea, spices a few garbage bags, sweeteners e.t.c. Don't overpack. I wore my bathing suit for a week with an occasional shirt and flip flops. Brought 7 of everything and wore 1-2 of everything. If you have Spotify you can download your playlists onto your ipad-iphone and bring a jack cord to plug into the boats stereo for entertainment. Don’t forget your AC adapters we did and borrowed a few from company. It would have been a major bummer for all electronics to drain the first day (I know spoiled American). Bring at least one international phone if you have one. When you get to Road Town buy a sim card with some minutes and a gig of data. This is great for emergencies or just checking in back home. Pack snack bags or you will be tempted to eat at the expensive airports eateries. Check in online and consider TSA pre-check for at least the Parents as everyone else traveling will get TSA pre-check too. Neck pillows for the plane (also on Amazon cheap). Consider bringing a roll of your favorite toilet paper and bum wipes (not for boat).

Getting from St. Thomas to Tortola: Do your research and make sure you bring enough cash to cover taxi to ferry, ferry to Tortola, Immigration, Taxi to charter base plus tips for everyone on the way. All the same cash when exiting. You will feel nickel and dimed to no end but it’s all on the up an up.

When arriving at charter base: Contrary to everything I have read provision yourself upon arrival. There are several Riteway grocers and if you plan your meals and are quick at the store you can be in and out in less than 1 hour. Most importantly you will be sure you have everything. We provisioned online as others did around us and they screwed every order up. Again make time to buy your own groceries you will do it cheaper and more thoroughly. They will have 95% of what you need don't worry.

Checking out (captains briefing): Get a thorough check out and have the whole crew attend. They have lots of boats and will want to get you on your way but if this is your first time make them go through all the systems. It is easy for men (me) when asked "do you understand how this works and can we move on" the rest of the family is watching and you want to say "yes of course" don't be tempted. Make sure you make note of all marks and chunks on the boat. They will want to rush through this too.

Underway: We rented dive gear and snorkel gear for non-divers. This is where the fitness comes in. There are strong currents. If you dive or snorkel make sure you swim against and drift back. My advice is to get a snorkel vest (inflatable) and an inflatable dive flag (didn't have either) again Amazon. If someone gets tuckered out you have to untie tender and go get them in ripping current and wind. Be safe and talk through every in-water adventure prior to jumping in.

Onshore when buoyed or anchored: Everyone is ravished after sailing and finally anchored. Crew will want to get to shore right away. Once they’re there they will want to saddle up to the bar and order drinks and food. If this is your plan for the week then no prob. We bought groceries and planned to eat them. We planned for breakfast and lunches on the boat and 3 dinners. We came pretty close. Have happy hour on board including snacks then once ashore it will be a bit cheaper. Restaurant prices: Drinks average $8 a beer and $12-$14 per fruity drink / Appetizers $15 and dinners $20-$30. We bought about $600 of groceries and averaged about the same for eating out. Gentleman watch your daughters! Starry nights, a rum drink, warm winds and a sweet talking waiter or bartender and you could be planning a wedding in the BVI next season. Well not that serious but the girls reported back a few times that it was suggested that they “ditch Uncle” and come back later. Also at anchor. I don’t know about the rest of you but I can’t sleep unless the rest of the crew is on board and buttoned up. I made that clear at the beginning. When the captain goes down everyone is inside and preferably lights out. My son was the oldest and responsible for locking up and final lights out. Tender is up and no one goes ashore when captain is asleep!

That’s about it. I loved the trip charter company was a breeze people were great! Road Town, Tortola what a crazy place. They need to fire their city planner and zoning commission. I have only chartered stateside but I find this a better value. Pacific Northwest U.S you get 10 year old boats for more $ per night and they act like they’re doing you a favor. Airfare is a bit more to get to STT but worth getting a boat that is 6mos to 2 years old and the location beats all IMHO. Hope I added some value here. Love you guys and happy New Year! P.S I’m back at work typing this swaying back and forth when will my legs come back. Uuuhhgg!
chuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:20   #2

Boat: Sailboat 51'
Re: Just got back! Tips & Observations BVI

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We are checking out the opportunities in Mexico, ditto on the female nieces ~20's have two of them with us here...same story.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ken.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:48   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

5 people between 20 and 23 years old and they aren't allowed to "ditch Uncle".

How you managed that is unimaginable.

Thank you for reinforcing the point that the BVIs have supermarkets. I am staggered by the many who think they need to fly in their own toilet paper. I really think its something boardering in racism where folks think 'oh, the locals are Black so they won't have supermarkets'.

The dining out/drinking etc report was very good. That age group you did well to do 3 dinners on board. With 7 adults the dinner and drinks budget could be staggering. Particularly the "fruity drinks" $14... and what do all girls drink in the islands? 2 x Sundowners, 1 at dinner, 2 aprés dinner while dancing = $70 per person!

Good report, thank you.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26   #5

Were you a former soldier? This trip sounds extremely structured and "controlled". I suppose when you take 7 and they are under your charge... you can't take a more go-with the-flow approach. I suppose a time limited charter will tend to force a bit more planning than how I think of sailing.

Quite the change in environment from Utah eh?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote