Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2024, 02:41   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 55.1
Keeping boat in Antigua

Hi, I’m thinking to keep a 50-60ft monohull permanently moored in Antigua and hoping for some advice on best places to moor it for extended periods when I won’t be visiting, also how to manage keeping it safe throughout the hurricane season. I will be using the boat for holidays travelling from Europe a few times a year and for longer stays over winter, so most interested in how to ensure it’s safe and secure when left unattended. Many thanks !
Saintgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 03:55   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Keeping boat in Antigua

The only true hurricane hole in the Caribbean is inside English Harbour and no mooring space is left available, and the old practice of running into the mangroves and tying up is no longer allowed.

Falmouth Harbour is large and there are mooring available there; it is somewhat protected.

The other anchorages are not as protected. One option is to haul out at Jolly, English or the North Sound.

If keeping it during the hurricane season you will want some guardiennage; but in the event of a named storm it is doubtful that you'll find someone to sail south in time.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:54   #3

Boat: Oyster 55

Why don't you put it on the hard in Jolly Harbour?
When you want to use it they can put it in the water for you prior to arrival.
As opposed to Zenshin I feel confident in the Jolly Harbor dry sail being somewhat as a hurricane hole in that it is surrounded by some fairly high hills.
I have spoken to numerous boat owners that have kept their boats there for 10 years plus and swear by it. Of course if you get a Cat 5 then that's why you have insurance for any "hurricane hole".
Would not advise Falmouth on a hook unattended.
Best
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 17:49   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

@caradow - I've stored my boat on the hard in Jolly before; but the OP wanted to be on the hook and I feel that the outer anchorage, on either side of the channel, isn't good for unattended boats. Falmouth is quite protected, but needs someone to check on the boat occasionally. There's no room inside English right now, and the outer anchorage sucks with bad holding and no moorings.
Old 08-06-2024, 18:05   #5

Boat: Oyster 55
Wink Re: Keeping boat in Antigua

Understand guess I may have thought outside the box.
Not sure why someone would want to keep their boat unattended on a mooring/anchored in the Caribbean during hurricane season. Even with "someone" watching it.
Probably should just answered his question and not try to change his plans.
You were correct in answering his question specifically.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, boat