Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 11:46   #16

Re: Key Largo to Key West

Did this last year on our college spring break. Bahia Honda is great. Curry Hammock also has a great lagoon. But it's sandy and shallow, so make sure to coordinate with the tides.

Don't forget there is the Key West shuttle bus, $2 one-way fare. The ride itself is a cultural experience...riding with the the homeless drunk people, but it's fun. Goes as far north as marathon. Good way to get to Key West, if the conditions aren't sailable and you're getting bored staying in one spot..
JacoLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:00   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Be sure to stop at Burdines Waterfront Marina in Boot Key just past marker 9. Awesome burgers at the Chiki Tiki upstairs. Big burgers small price, made to order! If ya want medium rare, then ya get it. Very friendly folks!

Only thing I didnt like about runnin Hawks Channel was ALL them damn crab pots!!
I agree on both ....

By the way BO i put myself in your shoes this morning.
The admiral and myself are anchoring at Stock island, a first for us, and the first real outing so far this winter. Trouble with the anchor caught in an undersea cable, and later not knowing where to anchor again
First problem solved by a guy in a catamaran who dive to get the anchor free from the cable, second problem solved with the help of another boater who drive us to a mooring ball he was guarding and help the admiral get us hooked.

As you said we can learn on the job due to the kindness of other boaters, perfect strangers coming to help without even having to ask for it.
Old 24-02-2013, 14:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mangrove View Post
You asked for moorages. The only Mooring fields in the Keys are in Marathon and Key West. Marathon's Boot Key Harbor is Top-Notch, Key West's is not. Affordable dockage with amenities are far a few. The mooring balls oceanside are not for overnight. Pennycamp State Park is Florida's most visited. Get both Skipper Bobs! Plan on rough weather and then go outside when weather permits. Bayside dockage highlights Gilberts MM106, Lorelei MM82. Key West has new anchor laws, Beware! Dockage recommended. KW moron field is poorly planned and run, Danger! I've lived longterm in both mooring fields and still cruise the Keys fulltime. Full Moon Party at Morada Bay! Best conch, Lazy Conch at Lazy Days.(btw, this is my first post, I like to learn and listen, than to type and pretend to know something) I think I see a cloud ...
Thanks! We are so looking forward to the warm water and warm weather!
danimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:27   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Holiday isles marina in islamorada at whale harbor channel has a
few sailboat friendly slips with pools restaurants bars dancing etc its fun for a night or two. Just north of that at snake creek is smugglers cove msrina. They have a tiki bar and restaraunts cheap.dockage good food stuff but current can be fast getting in. The holiday isles marina is a little more of a party place though. Where are u staying in key west and for how long? Also there are mooring balls off islamorada " hens and chickens" is one of them you can moore there and even stay overnight for free if its not too bumpy out.. they are in protected zones so no fishing but the snorkeling is incredible. Throw some bread in the water and its a feeding frenzy of color. Youll see sharksnand grouper snapper turtles etc its awesome!!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 09:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
... Buying fresh fish...if you can get close to a fishing trawler...you can exchange fish and lobsters for beer. Stock-up on beer for the exchange; better than cash. Dollar-wise you'll get more fish/lobsters by bartering using beer as your currency. Enjoy! Mauritz
Whats the exchange rate?
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 14:15   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

....a starting bid for a average size spiny lobster would be 3 Sam Adams, 5 Buds, or 8 Coronas.
Old 28-02-2013, 19:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
....a starting bid for a average size spiny lobster would be 3 Sam Adams, 5 Buds, or 8 Coronas.
Great to know
Old 28-02-2013, 19:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Holiday isles marina in islamorada at whale harbor channel has a
few sailboat friendly slips with pools restaurants bars dancing etc its fun for a night or two. Just north of that at snake creek is smugglers cove msrina. They have a tiki bar and restaraunts cheap.dockage good food stuff but current can be fast getting in. The holiday isles marina is a little more of a party place though. Where are u staying in key west and for how long? Also there are mooring balls off islamorada " hens and chickens" is one of them you can moore there and even stay overnight for free if its not too bumpy out.. they are in protected zones so no fishing but the snorkeling is incredible. Throw some bread in the water and its a feeding frenzy of color. Youll see sharksnand grouper snapper turtles etc its awesome!!!
Thanks!! We have hens and chickens on are list! We are so excited to be in the warm water and weather! We are Seattle/puget Sound boaters
Old 28-02-2013, 20:43   #24

I would say it depends on the weather. If it's not too lumpy on the outside, that is the way to go. Many nice reefs to stop and snorkel, most of which have free moorings you can pick up. Sombrero. Alligator. Coffins Patch. I would sail outside then duck in at night. Check Active Captain for a nice anchorage near your locale.

If it starts getting lumpy, you can jump inside at Snake Creek or the Channel 5 Bridge in Lower Matecumbe and do the ICW. It's a lot more dull on the inside and basically no good snorkeling.

Boot Key Harbor in Marathon is a must. You need to stop and get a deep fried Key Lime Pie at Burdetts.

Have a great trip. BTW, the Keys Beaches are notsohotso, so tell your teen she may want to tan on the foredeck.
Jaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Sure, from oceanside at Key Largo, take the Largo canal to the Holiday Inn Marina or Marina del Mar, both adjacent and both with pools and all the amenities. This is an easy day trip out Angelfish Pass and south from an anchorage at Pumpkin Key at the south of Biscayne Bay about 25 miles south of Miami. When entering the Largo Canal there is a ninety degree turn without visibility around the corner. Most give a securite call when approaching this spot locally known as "crash corner".
+2 on staying here. We hung out here for three weeks waiting for a weather window, and stocking up on groceries and supplies, and thoroughly enjoyed it. At the time, the African Queen was nearby and we had to walk by it eveytime we hit the bar right there at the end of the canal. Nice facilities. There is an Alamo car rental place withing walking distance, too.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote