Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2024, 06:56   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Key West to Bohicket Marina SC

Hello
Hunter 42 leaving Key West July 3 headed to Bohicket Marina SC , looks like some weather, suggestions on waypoints, moorings, anchorage along the way?
Thank you
TracyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 07:32   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Key West to Bohicket Marina SC

Use the Gulf Stream as much as possible to pick up a good 2-3 knots through the Straits of Florida, and be prepared to duck back inside when/if any wind from the north shows up. As you get near South Carolina keep in mind that a lot of the inlets are not nice when a strong incoming wind hits a strong outgoing tide. Consider the bigger ship inlets when that is the case, and even those will be rough.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:26   #3

Boat: Beneteau 323

I just quickly plotted a route in the windy app beginning July 3, if correct, the weather looks good, lack of wind, though. Again, if correct, you'll be motoring and motorsailing much of the time; make sure you have plenty of fuel, filters, etc.

My last trip up from the Bahamas to Folly Beach early this year I did solo. My final leg was the ocean from St. Augustine to Folly. Instead of making a straight line as I usually do, I hugged the coast app. 5 miles offshore. In addition to my radio and satellite communicator, I also had cell coverage. If you do that, you need to keep a close watch, especially as you approach shipping channels, however you do avoid most seagoing ships. This time of year there will be a multitude of commercial and recreational fishing vessels to look out for, though.

The North Edisto Inlet is a well marked, straight forward Inlet. The entrance bar is passable at all tides, however if you have a strong opposing wind and current, it is best to clear a couple of hours either side of low.

As Kettlewell said, use the Gulf Stream to your advantage. Make sure you rig a handline and a cedar plug to troll for tuna and dolphin. Safe travels!
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:30   #4

Thank you so much!
Old 01-07-2024, 06:31   #5

Thank you! We will be leaving Key West on the 5th , as I am flying in on the 3rd with a provisions day the 4th .
My mistake on the date of departure.
Currently the boat is on its way to Key West and planning to be there by the 3rd.

This all sounds good and very much appreciated!
Old 01-07-2024, 06:36   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Better provisioning and generally easier in Marathon/Boot Key Harbor, if you have the time to stop there. There's a big Publix not far up the road from the municipal marina/dinghy dock.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:10   #7

Boat: Beneteau 381

Are you transiting the boat? Or taking a leisurely cruise?

If former, I agree that you should hit the Gulf Stream and go as quick as you like. You’ll require about a week.

If latter, I have a couple of thoughts. First of all, in July it is going to be hot. Very hot. Does your boat have a generator for AC? If you are used to sub tropical July sun, then you know what you are getting into. If you are new to it, you might be surprised at how hot it can feel. We spend every third or fourth night in a marina to get a/c at that time of the year.

You will almost certainly encounter brief pop up thunderstorms in the afternoon/evening/night at that time of the year. They are usually brief but can pack a surprising wallop of wind and water and lightning.

You can search other posts for great details on the trip, and I would be happy to share detailed info on that route if you pm be but the basics (as I see it) looks something like this.

You should figure out in advance where your might wish to pull in. With a 1.5m draft (?) you have options.

From KW northbound, you have Stock Island Almost immediately if you find that you have an immediate problem with your new-to-you boat. Marinas and mechanics.

Boca Chita is a lovely overnight.

Marathon (Boot Key) is protected and offers stores.

You should be aware that you can enter the ‘gulf side’ which will make it easier to motor against persistent summer easterlies, at Snake Creek or at Angelfish Creek. From there to SC you can choose between the ICW and the ocean at approximately 50 mile intervals. You probably plan to sail the entire way, and northerlies are rare in the summer but if you are on any kind of a time schedule and a rare summer northerlies blows (particularly on the latter part) or there are big summer thunderstorms rolling off of the SE US coast you may want to know where to seek refuge.

Basically, florida is straightforward for your boat. There are few ‘maybe’ channels and most are yes/no. The maybes are Stuart/St Lucie and Ponce Inlet.

Georgia is less straightforward. I would research in advance which channels you would want to be contending with if you have problems/weather. The tides increase dramatically and so do the current and the bars north of St Mary’s. Most are very shoally and markers are not always good. Some are flat out impassable. The big ship channels at Brunswick and Tybee will be fine. The rest are a real mixed bag.

If you have a TowBoat membership you can seek local knowledge via them. I would read up on the coastal approaches in Georgia in advance and have a list of yes/no/maybe handy while crossing that area. Mostly it’s pretty easy and straightforward until the weather decides it’s time to get unruly. That’s a tough time to do research.

Within 10 nm of the coast you will have good enough cell coverage to track the weather.

If you decide to surf the GS north from Palm Beach you will save lots of time and distance but will lose that cellphone link for a couple of days. The thunderstorms don’t pop out of a clear blue sky, you get warning.

Fair winds. Hope you enjoy the trip!
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 03:50   #8

Boat: Beneteau 323

How did your trip go? I hope you are safely at Bohicket!
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west