Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 14:09   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet
pirate Key West to French Wet Indies

I was to sail in the Salt Dawg Rally to make passage from Norfolk, Virginia to Tortola in early November. The plan was to then island hop from the BVI's to St Kitts and points south. Given the decimation of the BVI's it no longer seems prudent to take this route as water, fuel, and other items will be nearly impossible to find in order to provision for the passage south.

I am now thinking about sailing along the Atlantic Coast and then launching to Cuba from either Miami or Key West. From there it would be island hopping from Cuba to the DR, to the PR to make it to the St Kitts and points south. This seems like the most prudent course to take because it is easy to provision along the eastern seaboard and before leaving Miami or Key West the boat can be fully provisioned, then the DR, and PR.

I realize that this is the long way to go but lack of fuel, water and food in the BVI/USVI seems to make this the best way to go.

I am looking to leave in early November. My boat is a newer comfortable cat and I do not have a tight schedule for reaching my destination. I would love some input from any of you who have used this route to get to St Kitts and other places further south or from any of you that have suggestions.

Thanks John
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 14:20   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Key West to French Wet Indies

You will want to read up on the "Thorny Path" as this is your proposed route. Short answer is that it is commonly taken, but is entirely upwind.

BTW, It's what I'll be doing this winter!

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50   #3

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Key West to French Wet Indies

I dont think Cuba is in any better shape than any of the other islands. Evenmore, who's sending aid to Cuba? Theyve received a pretty big hit, with the eyewall skirting along their northern coastline. You will probably want to island hop through bahamas.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, key west