Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 15:56   #1

Kid Boats in the VI for Christmas ?

My family and I are heading to the Virgin Islands to spend Christmas aboard our Stevens 47.

I will be flying into St. Thomas on the 16th with a friend and will take the boat from her St. John mooring over to Crown Bay Marina for 3 nights so we can tackle some maintenance jobs. The wife and kids will join us on the 19th and we will be cruising around until returning home to Atlanta on 1/6/09.

My wife and I are 41 and 40 and we have 2 kids, a boy who is 9 and a 5 year old daughter. We would love to try and hook up with any other cruising boats or charter boats in the Virgins over the holidays.

We plan to cruise over to Culebra and Culebrita and may try to get down to Vieques as well. We will also spend some time in the BVI. At this point we have no set schedule and our goal is to simply have fun.

Any tips on neat things for the kids to see in the Spanish Virgins is appreciated and anyone interested in meeting up or who knows of kid boats in the area please drop me a line!

terrycspringer@yahoo.com

Terry
S/V Lillie Mae
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04   #2

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
No kids but if I am at Tickles and see your boat, I will come over and say hello.

Enjoy your trip.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:51   #3

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Hiya Terry & Crew!

Greetings from Panama! We've sailed roughly 2000 miles since we last saw you guys at the Bitter End and are now loving life in Bocas del Toro. It's all been good. We intend to transit the canal in January.

You guys should definitely go over to Honeymoon Bay on the west end of Water Island and anchor for a few days. You'll find a nice long beach with lake-like conditions and a gaggle of other kids for your's to play with. It's a totally safe and relaxing environment within dinghy distance from Crown Bay. You can even pick-up your wife & kids at the airport by going into Lindberg Bay.

Say hello to Heidi at her Honeymoon Grill and the crew at Tickles Crown Bay for us.

Beware - the passage from St Thomas to Culebra and / or Vieques tends to get pretty rough when you reach Sail Rock.

The easiest and best marked way into Culebra is via the southern entrance channel along the reef.

Take your dinghy under the bridge and check-out the food at Mamasitas Cafe. They have a good dink dock there.

If you make it to Vieques, please say bonjour to our friends Sylvie, Dan & BDK at Esperanza.

The sail back from the Spanish Virgins often requires sailing a line to St Croix before tacking north. Christianstead is definitely worth a visit.

But don't miss Honeymoon Bay, Water Island.

Above all else - have fun!

Cheers!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote