Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:14   #1

Lake Worth / Palm Beach - What Is There to Do ?

My wife and two kids and I are anchored about a mile south of the Lake Worth inlet, we got in the morning.

I have to spend some time finding a good mechanic and making arrangements to get some engine work done and we will probably be anchored here until the first of the week at least.

So... what to do? We are splashing the dinghy and plan to run up to Peanut Island which I understand is a great place for the kids.

What else? Where are there dinghy docks and access to shops, places to eat and ground transportation? Walk to the beach from...? Accessible laundry facilities? Fun marina facilities that will let us use stuff and dinghy in for a small fee? Any help on where to go and things to do is a great help!

Terry
blog: Lake Worth | S/V Lillie Mae... Underway!
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:23   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
There is a municipal marina right across form Peanut Island (west of it) where you can dinghy. They have a decent restaurant there. The area outside of the marina is not very nice, I dont think there is anything of interest within the walking distance, but you can probably get on a bus and go to downtown West Palm Beach or a nearby shopping center.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:24   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380
There are usually some cruiser kids here:

Welcome to Palm Beach Sailing Club

Also the city of Palm Beach has installed docks I believe just south of the Flagler bridge that are free tie up until midnight. Not familiar with the logistics but I noticed them last time I was transiting the ICW through there and they were just being completed.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
iF YOU GO SOUTH about 1 or 2 miles or so -you come to West Palm Beach - nice place to do just about anything walking distance to everything- Thursday nights live bands at the Library right on the water- is a happening place, music on the streets -City Place also walking distince from there less than a mile- its worth the dink ride if you can get on a plane
free dink dock
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19   #5

Boat: Island Packet 380
My post should have said West Palm Beach has installed docks...not Palm Beach. (West side of the ICW). The docks are actually large enough for the sailboat. I believe you have to be off by midnite though.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 15:53   #6
cruiser

First, congratulations on the passage. The other thread has been waiting to hear from you! Looked like you continued past Canaveral and onto Lake Worth. I trust the passage was uneventful.

There are an incredible number of boating facilities between Lake Worth and Miami. I'd consider finding a certified Yanmar service center and contacting them. Get your problem in front of a group who has seen a lot of Yanmars.

Welcome to south Florida!
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 18:54   #7
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Laundry can be found very near the west side of the bridge north of peanut Island. There's a grocery store a short way down the main drag to rt. US1?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Terry,

If you guys like to snorkel/scuba, I remember Blue Heron bridge (just north of Peanut Island) being an interesting place during flood tide.

Just to the north of you on the west side, you'll find Riviera Beach... The marina (many dive boats operate from here - good/entertaining restaurant as well) is ok and secure, however, I do not recommend walking around town in this area - definitely a shady area - I used to spend a fair amount of time in this marina when I taught diving.

Ditto on the West Palm Beach advise - good area but you will definitely need transportation to get to/from there.

Once in a while, there used to be a floating bar by Peanut Island (years ago) - I don't know if they are still around...

Have fun!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 16:36   #9

We are getting oriented. We are anchored up right out from the Rybovich marina so we have a great view of all the massive mega-yachts. Just up from there is Palm Beach Sailing Club and for $40 a week we can land the dinghy there and use the facilities. We plan on going to the regatta there and the superbowl party on Sunday. Its a really neat facility.

I also ran the dinghy down to the downtown West Palm docks. Its a couple of miles from where we are anchored but thats no big deal by dinghy when conditions are reasonably flat so we plan on going there. We can also dinghy up to Peanut Island easily from here.

So... it looks like all we need now is a bit of nice weather and there is fun to be had in the plenty! thanks for all the tips.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake worth