Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2022, 08:17   #16

Re: Latest entry requirements, BVI and USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
tennis4789,

I'd be guessing at prices, maybe around $10K/week, for crewed charters, which you can split with several couples, but there are some companies I have chartered with that have websites to look into. Try bvi yacht charters at https://www.bviyachtcharters.com/crewed-charters/

I haven't booked with either the Moorings or Voyage charters, but they have boats in the BVI, and try for a smaller boat.

Moorings: http://https://www.moorings.com/dest...&productType=1

Prices for monohulls are less than for catamarans, the smaller, the less expensive. Plus, go in the low season, roughly May- August to save $$.
A timely post. We just booked a 2 week charter with Conch for May in the BVI's and are looking for the appropriate travel insurance. The part about quarantine accommodations are what got me as well. Hence the reason for my search here. I found a policy (not purchased yet) from IMG that does state in the details "Hospital or ambulatory medical-surgical center services, including expenses for a cruise ship cabin or hotel room, not already included in the cost of Your Trip".

But I too am curious about how closely insurance policy provisions are examined on entry?
BoomerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 22:28   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The insurance is part of the online BVI Gateway application process and not checked
again after approval.
Old 15-01-2022, 06:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I had to go through my records to find it: Seven Corners Travel Insurance. See the BVI page at https://www.bviaacloud.com/covid-19-...avel-insurance
I did a "Chat" with them, and said I was only going to the BVI for one day. They said 0-30 days was the same price and quoted me $144 for 2 of us. I guess it went up a little since you bought it, but worth it to save a vacation. Also I'm still waiting to hear back from Trawick.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 22:08   #19

I think that you just need to have some paperwork as "proof" of insurance; the BVI forum has lots of posts on this topic and people have submitted blue cross/shield docs from the US and gotten approved.
Old 16-01-2022, 10:00   #20

OK I will look at that forum
Old 16-01-2022, 10:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

For what it is worth: ending in spring of 2021, I had worked in the BVI charter industry (crewed charter, captain only, and instructional), since 2005, and I remain very close to the industry and my friends in it, even though I am currently in the US.

I can add the following to the discussion:

1) The right insurance does work, and I know this because quite a few charters have ended or not started because of Covid. The guests usually wind up in a villa, until they leave, and if insured, this seems to be covered. It is not just a "cost of doing business".
2) The enforcement of the insurance requirement varies, but since there is a definite chance you will use it, it's stupid not to comply. Hopefully, in a very few weeks or months, the current Covid surge will die down, but, for now, quarantine and cancelled charters are a reality.

3) The hours posted by the St. John's Customs are completely bogus. Even before Irma, their posted hours actually are the hours when they leave the building, in order to catch their ferry. They lock their doors well before that, as much as an hour. I know this from having experienced exactly that. And, I happen to have some friends working a crewed yacht that had it happen a week ago. They were told the doors close at 3:30. So figure that in your calculations.
4) The regulations are a PITA, and some of them have been very poorly conceived. Nonetheless, those who have come have usually greatly enjoyed their trip and have been glad they made the trip.

5) The USVI Portal also behaves erratically. If you don't get your clearance, fill it out (easy) again, because there seems to be a glitch where one can be "put on hold".

Have a great trip. The BVI is still a truly unique and wonderful place to take a sailing vacation.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 15:30   #22

contrail,

Thank you for the helpful industry insider perspective. It is very helpful, particularly the Customs hours.

For me personally, even if the U.S. customs procedures were more of a PITA than the BVI, I had been to the BVI several times and had never been to St. John. Plus I am a U.S. citizen starting in the U.S., so would not have to cross any borders unless I chose to go to the BVI. I was very much hoping, and trying, to avoid going there during this COVID pandemic.

Oh well. I am determined to make it work, so I appreciate all the help I am getting here.
Old 16-01-2022, 16:13   #23

Better a Bullshooter than a Bullshitter.

Partially and Unvaccinated crew will require quarantine in the BVI.

Indeed the window of allowance as to the Covid test acceptability becomes a major logistical factor as delays in arrival or departure could disallow the test results and require yet another testing round, extended stay, and associated inconvenience and costs. Could be a real PITA and note that if you test positive well then you will be placed into a quarantine and you will not be voyaging anywhere or returning on a flight to the USA as to entering the BVI or USVI, so do anticipate that as being a distinct possibility what with all the break-through cases that are occurring with Omnicron variant. Realize that your entire charter and trip plans could be complete ruined, and you could have an extended stay in the islands in quarantine before being able to return to the US.

Traveling during a pandemic remains NOT ADVISED and fraught with difficulties. Plan accordingly for how it might not go as planned.

Good luck.

Per Noonsite BVI

https://www.bing.com/search?q=noonsi...ANNTA1&PC=HCTS

Added bolding for what appear to be items of significant and relevant concern.

Be sure to be fully vaccinated as that will ease the to and from considerably.

With the continual change in protocols due to the pandemic, we outline the last-known situation below for yacht arrivals. Skippers should follow the recommended links in “resources” to confirm the latest protocols. Always check with your intended port of arrival before getting underway to be 100% certain of what is required. Please e-mail editor@noonsite.com if you find protocols have changed.

COVID-19: **OPEN**

Yachting Protocols:

January 2022

Everyone coming to the BVI should be preferably fully vaccinated.
Everyone coming to the BVI should have a COVID test prior to leaving their departure country and obtain a certificate showing the result was negative. Fully vaccinated crew that tested negative within 48 hrs of arrival, will not need to test on arrival. If you fall outside the window you will need to pre-register for an arrival rapid antigen test (cost $50) at intended arrival point (currently these are the only international entry ports):
– West End Ferry Terminal – https://westend.bvi.care/
– Road Town Ferry Terminal – https://rtferry.bvi.care/

If the test is negative, the crew are free to move onto the standard BVI customs and immigration entry procedures.
ALL boats must pre-register with www.sailclear.com and all crew onboard should upload the following to the website:
– Vaccination cards;
– Negative test result certificate from departure country;
Medical insurance – options can be found at https://www.bviaacloud.com/covid-19-...avel-insurance
Effective October 1st, fully vaccinated crew members do not have to apply for entry via the BVI Gateway Travel Application.
Unvaccinated minors do not have to do the portal with vaccinated guardians.

Partially vaccinated or unvaccinated crew members:

The BVI Gateway Travel Application must be completed by all partially or unvaccinated travelers prior to arrival: http://bvigateway.bviaa.com/
Traveller Authorisation Certificate costs approx. $85.00 and documents must be uploaded before paying the fee. You should be able to select “private vessel” as a means of entry.
Upload proof of a certified (negative) RT-PCR Test, or an approved rapid antigen test, taken before arrival in the BVI, and insurance.
Partially or unvaccinated travellers will not be allowed to enter the Virgin Islands unless they have been given travel authorisation.
Partially vaccinated crew will have to quarantine on board for 4 days, with PCR testing on arrival and on day 4.
Unvaccinated crew will have to quarantine on board for 7 days, with PCR testing on arrival and on day 7.
If the test results on the final day are negative, you will be free to enjoy the Virgin Islands.

Anyone that tests positive will have to remain on board for 14 days with PCR testing on day 14.
Notes:

More information at https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols
Download the Maritime Declaration of Health.
Approx. test costs of $175. Re-tests cost $70. Rapid antigen tests $50.
Travelers arriving to charter yachts in the BVI can find all the latest protocols and restrictions at https://www.bvitourism.com/reopening.
Charter vessels coming into the BVI may well be scrutinised a lot more on arrival for legality of entry and complying with “Foreign flagged, NON BVI Based” regulations.

Vessels wishing to leave the BVI must email Greg Romney – gromney@gov.vg
– and request permission to leave. Allow 48 hrs notice.
Best determine if you need to be granted permission to leave the BVI for the USVI with your chartered vessel that is located in the BVI

Our thanks to Nanny Cay Marina Management for keeping Noonsite updated throughout the Pandemic.

Resources:

Covid-19 1 October Protocols.
Nanny Cay Marina have the latest marine protocols on their website.
For further information email reopening@bvitourism.com or WhatsApp 284-496-6129.
https://bvi.gov.vg/covid-19
https://www.bvitraveller.com/bvi-cor...id-19-updates/
A useful BVI Facebook page that has a variety of information pertaining to the BVI reopening protocols can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/619996718685889.
Free BVI App
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 22:26   #24

1. Sailclear does not work, or has it ever worked, for the BVI.

2. I had to wait over 3 weeks to get permission to leave earlier this year!!! Only when I involved my consulate did Greg Romney actually start working on this and when I got permission to leave it was with just two hours warning to present myself at the West End immigration offices and then I had to the leave the BVI in bad weather.

So be warned that leaving the BVI can be a bit like leaving Hotel California...
Old 18-01-2022, 08:25   #25

Quote:

2. I had to wait over 3 weeks to get permission to leave earlier this year!!! Only when I involved my consulate did Greg Romney actually start working on this and when I got permission to leave it was with just two hours warning to present myself at the West End immigration offices and then I had to the leave the BVI in bad weather.

1) There is the need to get permission to take a vessel out of the BVI; 2) there is the uncertainty as to the timing of the granting of the allowance for departure and then 3) the further uncertainty of the scheduling of the actual administrative clearance procedures and the adequacy of the allowed requisite period of time to actually exit the port. All of which uncertainties and administrative tasks, are likely the primary underlying reason the BVI charter fleet operator will not deliver you a boat to the USVI to use.

The vessel owner engaging in the charterparty contract is putting the administrative burden of gaining clearance to leave the BVI, solely upon the charterer. That Be You In This Instance!

This isn't rocket science.

If you charter a vessel in the BVI, just restrict your voyage to within the BVI.

If you wish to voyage in the USVI, charter a vessel from a USVI fleet operator.

Do not charter a vessel in the BVI for exporting to the USVI to voyage in the USVI.

Similarly, do not charter a vessel in the USVI for exporting to the BVI to voyage in the BVI.

Simplify your charterparty contractual affairs and source the vessel in the country you intend to voyage within.

Bon Voyages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hes-right-you-know.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	251461  
Old 18-01-2022, 19:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

1) There is the need to get permission to take a vessel out of the BVI; 2) there is the uncertainty as to the timing of the granting of the allowance for departure and then 3) the further uncertainty of the scheduling of the actual administrative clearance procedures and the adequacy of the allowed requisite period of time to actually exit the port.

Simplify your charterparty contractual affairs and source the vessel in the country you intend to voyage within.

Bon Voyages.
What would happen if you just pulled up anchor & left? What's the logic behind having to get permission to leave?
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 03:07   #27

tennis4789 - when you clear into a country you need to provide your exit paperwork from the previous country. If you don't have it you will either not be allowed to clear in and/or get legal problems. There are some loopholes (e.g. the French countries don't check exit papers and since the USA doesn't generally require exit papers when leaving one can state "I came from the USA" as an excuse for not having the exit clearance - but that won't work when clearing into the USA
Old 19-01-2022, 16:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
What would happen if you just pulled up anchor & left? What's the logic behind having to get permission to leave?
Greg Romney is the Deputy Commissioner of Customs at BVI.

Many countries but not all require declaration to export a recreational vessel from their country, hence have a reporting requirement.

Also, one has to obtain clearance for immigration control purposes.

You clear into and out of most countries so that they have knowledge and approval authority of your comings and goings.

If you leave without clearing out, count on not being permitted to reenter.

There can be adverse consequences if one reimports the good, as to duties, fees, penalties, etc.

If one asks Greg, I am sure he can explain the procedures, its purposes and what the implications of not following the procedure.

The charterparty that owns the vessel likely would have severe exposure to failure of the charterer following proper procedures. I am unsure who the importer or exporter of record would be as to the charterparties.

Does anyone know if the exclusion zone is still in force as to traveling into BVI waters?
Old 20-01-2022, 07:57   #29

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

For context, I've been delivering boats in and out of countries throughout COVID. Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas, USVI & PR (US territories with their own additional requirements), BVI, and a handful of Windward Islands.

I'm keeping up with requirements but I've outsourced the forms to my shore support team (okay - one person who is my sister-in-law Jenny, but she gets paid and is worth every penny). We figure out the routing for a trip and go through the requirements for start and end point and all potential bailouts. The latter was handy when a boat failure and onboard injury required diverting to Bermuda on a trip from Annapolis to Puerto Rico. With copies of everything and the ground work done, we were welcomed in Bermuda as having gotten all the paperwork right.

Once you do have everything submitted continue to check official websites daily up until arrival (this is where shore support really shines for me - I may be offshore for two weeks without Internet). Things change and you need to be on top of them.

I set up email addresses for each crew for every trip for them to use for COVID tests; they get a copy, I get a copy, and Jenny gets a copy. Information is power when shared. You may have to do that manually, but have copies all in a consolidated folder together with all the other forms, copies of the ID page of passports, charter contract, insurance binders (just the front page usually), and anything else. If anyone gets pulled out of line in the process they should be responsive but not volunteer anything except "the captain has all the forms for our trip."

For @Bullshooter, my latest trips to USVI and BVI are dated - about eight weeks to BVI and six to USVI. COVID is a moving target and the actions of politicians are random processes that cannot be predicted.

My advice to you, like that of others, is don't do it. Rebook with a USVI company or insist that the charter company move the boat to the departure point agreed in their contract with you. Remember the contract is binding on both parties. They're trying to get you to do for them, for free, what is costly and painful for them. They should be good at it by now. That doesn't make it easier for them, they just have more practice than you and should know where all the landmines are.

If you start looking at other companies you might explore a charter in the Florida Keys in addition to USVI. Maybe SVI. This is a vacation, not an exercise in self-flagellation.

If you persist, book a private nurse for COVID testing in the BVI to return to the US. Leave yourself time - you don't want a flight delayed 15 minutes (or cancelled) to ripple through everything. I'd fly down a day early, insist on a comped sleepaboard the boat, meet the private nurse for testing, get dinner, do the boat briefing in the morning, check out (charter company should work with Customs to have the boat part done for you before you get on an airplane), and head for St. John. As others have noted they close early. You may have to clear in Red Hook. This may sound dumb amidst all the other uncertainty, but make sure you have all the right flags before you leave BVI.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 09:32   #30

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:

It seems to have gotten easier.

Sailclear worked fine for me when I checked into BVI back in November. Filled it all out before leaving from Maryland. We did have to take rapid tests before leaving and again on arrival for $50per.

When it was time to leave in December, I just went back to West End and checked out. I never emailed anyone, just showed up at West End and they processed my papers and sent me on my way. No big deal. Entering the USVI was even quicker.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, men