Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2022, 11:59   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Leaving a boat in the Azores or Madeira

Hello sailors, I plan to sail from Amsterdam to the Azores or Madeira this summer, and leave the boat there for about a year, in order to sail from there into the Med next year. Which island(s) its going to be depends mostly on where I can find a safe place to leave the boat (Contessa 32).Actually, I would sleep better having the boat sitting on the hard for such a long period.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a marina/yard with a hard storage facility in the islands?
SY Fingold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 15:52   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Leaving a boat in the Azores or Madeira

Not a ton of options for on the hard storage. We did in Praia Da Vitoria on Terceria for four months. It's the largest work yard I know of for pleasure boats in the Portuguese islands, but each of the other marinas typically have some very limited storage space. It's possible in most spots if you beat the summer crowd.
Old 30-01-2022, 16:28   #3

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Thers 2 boatyards in Porto Santo with very reasonable rates. A ferry provides connections to Madeira and theres also an airport on the island. If you plan on doing any work or painting bring supplies with you as there's not much available locally.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 20:38   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Fingold View Post
Hello sailors, I plan to sail from Amsterdam to the Azores or Madeira this summer, and leave the boat there for about a year, in order to sail from there into the Med next year. Which island(s) its going to be depends mostly on where I can find a safe place to leave the boat (Contessa 32).Actually, I would sleep better having the boat sitting on the hard for such a long period.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a marina/yard with a hard storage facility in the islands?
If your destination is the Med, I would suggest you store the boat anywhere in the Azores, or even Portugal mainland . You may be up for a hard beat if you want to go from Porto Santo or Funchal to the Med.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 00:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leaving a boat in the Azores or Madeira

I second the above..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 02:26   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Fingold View Post

personally if that's your intended destination (The Med), personally Id try for the Algarve , failing that A Coruna typically has protected marina space,
Old 01-02-2022, 03:36   #7

Why do you want to leave the boat in the Azores or Madera if your eventual destination is the Med ?
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:15   #8

Boat: Contessa 32

Just because I don't want to miss the opportunity to visit those islands by boat. On the way from the Netherlands to Cyprus, where I will keep the boat in the end in a few years time, those islands are worthwhile destinations in themselves, and I'm in no hurry.
SY Fingold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 16:53   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Well, we agree that those islands are certainly worthwhile destinations. Most years (except last year due to covid) we live in Madeira for the winter. Can't say enough good things about it. Wonderful place with good winds.

We summer on our little Cape Dory 31 in Maine. It's a dream to sail her to Madeira but, alas, it will have to remain a dream.

Good luck, and we hope to see you in Madeira someday.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores, boat, Madeira