Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 20:05   #46

Re: Pensionado...They had no problems at all getting theirs. They also have bought a home in Balboa.

I'm naturally thinking of the Bocas del Toro area.
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 20:09   #47

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
living and retireing

Hi,
I traveled on my sailboat for 4 years in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador and the S. Pacific. I loved Mexico,and I liked Panama, but fell in love with Ecuador and its people. The thing that I didn't like about Panama was that it was so humid and rained for days on end. Grew mold on the walls. Every climate that you could want in the size of the state of Nevada. We have weather here described as Santa Barbara in the spring. It is rated as the number 2 place to retire in the world. Great fresh foods and juices. 5 course lunch for .80 cents to $1.50! Inexpensive and the people still love Americans here(getting hard to find). And it is only 4 hours from Miami. Visit my website for some great info and links.
Ecuador Beachfront Properties
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 13:22   #48
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Thanks TaoJones for correcting the often held misconception that the canal was taken back from the US. Expat Americans will be treated just fine; its the same throughout Central and South America. In fact, despite the incredible animus between Bush and Hugo Chavez of Venezuela (started by nationalization of the oil industry and then fueled by the CIA backed coup attempt against Chavez in 2002), even in Venezuela most people still like Americans (apart from Bush). And even though the influence of Chavez has increased throughout the region, no matter who is elected next year, relations between the US and South and Central America can and will only improve.

Firstly, the US is still dependant upon Venezuelan oil, so it makes little sense to ruffle feathers now that the last remaining oil company has renegotiated with the Venezuelan government. Secondly, Chavez has already planted the seeds of a better relationship with even the Republican frontrunners - Guilliani's law firm represents Citgo (the Venezuelan national oil company) and Romney was one of the few governors who took up Chavez on his offer of free heating oil for the poor.

Fact is, there are still some incredible bargains to be had in South and Central America and in many places, the infrastructure is much better than you'd expect. And finally, if you exercize the same cautions that you would do at home, you'll find the people incredibly warm and generous.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama