Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 08:04   #1

Location: East coast USA; temperature controlled, north in summer and south in winter
Boat: 53' Skookum pilothouse cutter
Local knowledge Boston

On our trip from Maine south we are staying two nights in Boston. The second night we want to anchor over by Squantum Point so we can drop off a crewmember, City Point or Thompson Island anchorages. The night before, Sunday, 22 October, we are thinking of Boston Inner Harbor or close for sight seeing and eating in the North End. We are coming in from Manchester/Gloucester.

Any advice would be appreciated. We are not looking for land sightseeing tips in Boston but places to anchor or moorings available.
NRbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 17:11   #2

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Local knowledge Boston

Boston harbor sailing club rents mooring balls and it's a short dinghy ride from the ball to their dock at Rowe's wharf, and they have a launch service (I think 9-9 but you'll need to verify.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:24   #3

Location: East coast USA; temperature controlled, north in summer and south in winter

Brownoarsman

Thank you.

That is just the information I was looking for. Sent them an email.

rob
Old 07-10-2017, 12:36   #4

Glad to help, and also always happy to share my love of BHSC. Hope Mark is able to assist!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:50   #5

BHSC has all their moorings full with seasonal tenants.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

Rob
Old 10-10-2017, 11:17   #6

We use Waterboat Marina. Mooring fee includes use of their dinghy dock which is right in the heart of Boston's tourist scene. The parking garages here charge $40 for three hours for a car so this is quite a deal. Extremely pretty. Spectacular sunsets right over downtown Boston. You can reserve a mooring ball through Dockwa. As with all of Boston harbor there is a slight roll. It's also open to the East so it wouldn't be much fun in a strong East wind. In normal conditions, it's remarkably calm.

The only downside is that several commuter ferries and tour boats dock here. Things are busy during the day but it quiets down completely at night. I enjoy the scene but it's not a great place if you want to be alone. On summer weekends the wakes from pleasure boats can be annoying but you will be late enough in the year that this shouldn't be a problem. Ashore it's a short walk to most of Boston's tourist sights. There a Chart House restaurant right beside the marina and one of Boston's famous Legal Seafoods 100 yards away (their clam chowder was served at four Presidential inaugurations starting with Reagan).

It would be easy for crew members to reach you here by public transportation or Uber.

We've been lucky so far, but things can get down right cold in late October. Do you have heat on the boat? If the weather report looks cold, you might think about a marina slip with electricity for a space heater. Constitution Marina is great.

It is Boston, so best to not wear a Yankees hat
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:19   #7

Too bad, I wonder if he's changed the business practice. There used to be a fair few boats in for weekend stays.

Is cost a concern? There are a number of marinas in the inner harbor, and you're far enough into fall where they may have space.

If that's too expensive, if you have a high-powered dinghy, I'd suggest Winthrop or anchoring away from the ferry routes in the harbor islands, but none of those get you into the Inner Harbor, they're just lower cost than the marina slips. Quincy yacht club might have some ideas?
Old 12-10-2017, 17:43   #8

CarlF
We will contact the Waterboat Marina. We do have some heat on board, not as much as we would like as it was 36F this morning.

Brownoarsman
Cost is a factor. We plan to stay Monday night at one of the islands over by Squantum, good view of the skyline but a significant dinghy ride to the North End. I think BHSC does not believe any members will be off their moorings the day I am there. Waterboat Marina suggested by CarlF sounds promising.

I wonder about anchoring over in East Boston at Jeffries Cove if no moorings pan out?

Rob
Old 12-10-2017, 18:09   #9

I've never anchored in Jefferies Cove but there's always some boats there. Lots of room. If you are are just doing pick-up and drop-off I think you'll have no problem using the Watertaxi dock at the Hyatt Hotel. It has shuttle busses to the airport and the Silver Line busses to downtown Boston.

Also look at anchoring in Winthrop. Pretty village. No roll. Airport noise depends on the wind direction landing pattern but it's not normally bad. There's an hourly commuter ferry to downtown Boston. And a town dock for dinghy drop/off pickup. It's late enough in the season that a cheerful word to the Winthrop harbor master might get you directed to a free private mooring who's owner has hauled for the year.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 03:43   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRbar View Post
... staying two nights in Boston. ...
Not exactly "downtown" but we like Hull. Hull YC usually has a mooring, launch, and other amenities, and the nearby ferry gets you into downtown Boston in 10 or 15 minutes (and on schedule). Absolutely no hassle.

BTW we stand by the principle that it's the crew's problem to get to the boat, and not the other way around. This keeps the traffic light, as it should be.

Tags
cal