Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 14:20   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Looking for charter from NOLA to PLAYA DEL ASAP?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

I also looked in Pensacola Florida, where they do have charters available. The only boat they have that would possibly work charters for $500/day plus $400/day for crew. But you would have to add provisioning costs. So figure $1,000/day or so. of course it is about a day and a half from Pensacola to New Orleans so the trip would take a little longer.
And, none of these boats are going to do the trip you want...especially not in hurricane season.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 14:35   #17

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Have you looked into trains and buses? Some of the first class and executive buses in Mexico are very nice. The problem might be the dog. I assume you will have the international vet paperwork for pet transport. Renting a car or RV might be easiest, even with paying one way fees or hiring a driver wirh appropriate paperwork and authorization to return the vehicle. Now just don't be telling us that the other complication you wanted to tell us was that you want to move your military gun collection to Mexico!
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 14:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Only solution is cruise ship.

The dog?

Either kennel, friends/family or fly it separately. BUT you have to hire a "known shipper" for that.
Old 17-08-2015, 15:17   #19

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Got a friend who is blind and able to get Diamond trained to be a service animal in exchange for a free cruise?
Ridiculous, maybe, but probably easier than the original proposal....

It is legal for a group to strictly voluntarily share or contribute to the actual expenses of a voyage, but anything beyond that is considered "carriage for hire" and is not legal for an unlicensed captain.
Boat owners with any sense don't want to risk fines, imprisonment (especially Mexican prisons or legal entanglements), or vessel confiscation. Any unlicensed skippers who would take on such a project may be dangerously ignorant or piratical scofflaws.
And no sane boat owner would want to take on non-sailors who are likely to be sick, miserable, and utterly unlikely to be useful crew, but likely to be in need of significant caregiving from crew.
Also, doing a voyage where passengers don't return on the same vessel or mode of transport definitely adds some bureaucratic/legal complexity.
Captains bear enormous liability and risk in transporting persons not well known to them. Imagine if you will what happens if a passenger becomes injured or ill on a small, slow moving boat that may be many hours or days from medical attention. Or if a passenger, upon reaching Mexico, is found to possess illegal drugs or a gun or even so much as one empty shell casing... Bye, bye boat.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 18:28   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlifejay View Post
20-30 Grand is slightly way out of what I had calculated a or willing to pay. I don't get how it would be a felony to offer someone money worthy of their time and effort for the transportation. I'm not planning on returning anyway and wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble.
I'm afraid Stumble has it right. Might not be quite that expensive but a boat large enough to comfortably carry you, your family and captain will be in that price range.

Regarding the legal aspects, US law requires a licensed captain to carry passengers for hire. You could probably find someone that would do it off the books and under the table but Caveat Emptor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 08:39   #21

Thank all of you for the quick response and insight I actually had a buddy in route to my house who had totally slipped my mind and is a long time and high up freight / cargo space salesman on for cargo ships and it's been taken care of thank you
Saltlifejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:11   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Be interesting to know the details of what you worked out?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, charter