Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 02:16   #1

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35
Looking for tips on Bahamas June-July

Hi folks,

I'm getting an itch to cruise the Bahamas from mid June-mid July. Should have 3 weeks on the water. Open to suggestions keeping dates in mind. I'll be trailering down so departure point is easily adjusted. Should I head north....south...and how much would you area would be enjoyable to cover...the Exumas look beautiful....the Abacos seem a bit more user friendly...that's about all I've gathered so far...lots to learn
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:44   #2

I'd suggest doing a search. This comes up fairly regularly.
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:05   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Looking for tips on Bahamas June-July

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
Hi folks,

I'm getting an itch to cruise the Bahamas from mid June-mid July. Should have 3 weeks on the water. Open to suggestions keeping dates in mind. I'll be trailering down so departure point is easily adjusted. Should I head north....south...and how much would you area would be enjoyable to cover...the Exumas look beautiful....the Abacos seem a bit more user friendly...that's about all I've gathered so far...lots to learn
We cruised the Bahamas May1 thru June 30 this year. The good thing was that many cruisers were already gone by that time. Anchorages were mostly empty, so easy for us. I think the only down side is that thunderstorm activity increases during the months that we're talking about. Good ground tackle is your friend! We didn't stay longer because of hurricane season. It turns out we could have stayed (this year), but *if* a storm does head that way, finding a hole to hide in can be tough.

We checked in at Bimini, and worked our way down to George Town. There is no place on earth that beats the water in the Exumas. I don't think you would get very far past Nassau (if that), with only three weeks to work with. 2 months was just right for us. Maybe the Berries would work for you.

We haven't been to the Abacos, so someone else should help you with that. Maybe the Abacos is the ticket?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fugue and <a title=dinghy at Allans Cay.jpg Views: 342 Size: 400.9 KB ID: 67077" style="margin: 2px" />

Click image for larger version

Name:	Allans Cay in sand.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	67078

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:06   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

With just three weeks and a first cruise, I'd recommend the Abacos. Easy to navigate, yet still has many unihabited islands if you want to get away from it all. In June, the water will warm every where.

When I trailered a boat down, I launched at Indiantown.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It's difficult to say where to go as you only have three weeks and I presume you have to get back in that time frame. The weather should be more benign in June/July but it's always a factor. I would head from S. Florida to Nassau, clear in and head for the Exumas.

Or, if you prefer an easier trip, do Abaco. Start from St. Lucie Inlet. Clear in at Green Turtle and stay north of the Whale (Whale Cay Cut). It's quieter up there.
Old 11-09-2013, 22:24   #6

Thank you everyone who has chimed in with useful suggestions...
In my heart I know I would like to hit the Exumas...
I just found awesome deals for flights to Nassau and would buy a few today for the wife and kid if I could get my vaca. approved prior to 6 months....argh.
But my thoughts are to leave Pennecamp Park since it sounds like it would work for my Corsair F27...and head to Nassau. Giving me a decent ride on the stream and then pick up the fam damily...and head south to the Exuma.
I really need to go pick up some chart books (at this point cause the bug has bit) but I'm wondering what the prevailing winds should be at that time of year? Will I be beating south? or will it be downwind? or a who knows?
Also I'm very curious...everyone talks about the sail over to the Bahamas...what about the sail back? same advice....avoid all "northerly" forecasts?
Is my trip "doable"? So Fla to Nausau...mosey south..and jump back to So Fla. in 3 wks?
I'd love to hear your real world advice.
Cheers- John
Old 13-09-2013, 06:51   #7

Yeah - the principles of the gulf stream work both ways. I'd add however, that I've done crossing in mild northerly winds, that were much nicer than very strong SE winds. Direction matters, but so does force.

Make sure the boat ramp you are considering meets both your width and depth requirements. Many are designed with smaller fishing boats in mind. My tri needed to be launched with the amas already extended, which greatly limited the ramps I could use.
Old 14-09-2013, 07:53   #8

Thanks nautical62-

I appreciate those tips...

I have a Corsair 27, she folds so I think I'm pretty safe with most ramps...obviously some are set up better with convenient docks and so forth...but depth and width seems to be not too big of an issue with my boat vs your telstar that needed unfolding before launch.

I'm wondering if you've stored your Tri down there at a dry storage facility?

I'm from SoCal, so I'm considering driving the boat and truck out say a month ahead of time and arranging a RT flight...so I can fly back and have the maximum time on the water.

I guess ideally the lot would be close to Ft lauderdale airport...any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers-
Old 14-09-2013, 08:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
Thanks nautical62-

I appreciate those tips...

I have a Corsair 27, she folds so I think I'm pretty safe with most ramps...obviously some are set up better with convenient docks and so forth...but depth and width seems to be not too big of an issue with my boat vs your telstar that needed unfolding before launch.

I'm wondering if you've stored your Tri down there at a dry storage facility?

I'm from SoCal, so I'm considering driving the boat and truck out say a month ahead of time and arranging a RT flight...so I can fly back and have the maximum time on the water.

I guess ideally the lot would be close to Ft lauderdale airport...any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers-

I launched at the public ramp at Indiantown on the Okechobee waterway - deep, wide, little use, fresh water. I stored my boat and vehicle at the nearby Indiantown Marina, which was reasonably affordable. There's also a storage yard in Indiantown, that I've seen vehicle and trailers stored at. It's good location for an Abacos trip - not as good for Bimini to Exumas. I had previously kept a boat at Indiantown - went from Palm Beach to West End, and on the way back directly to the St. Lucie inlet and up the Okechobee back to Indiantown

I also looked into Crandon State Park which appeared to have a nice ramp and secure, fenced in storage. It was much more convenient for going to Bimini, but storage was fairly pricey. People could easily fly into Miami there. Another negative was driving through more southern Florida traffic. I liked that Indiantown was north of all that. Crandon has good public bus access. At Indianntown you are very much dependent on your own vehicle to get anywhere out of town.

The combination of a good ramp and storage for vehicle and trailer can be hard to find. Most marinas of course want to sell their travel lift services.

Both the Exumas and Abacos offer great cruising, but I'm glad I started with the Abacos, especially with a smaller boat - a bit closer, no overnight sails, less open water, plenty of uninhabited islands, fun small towns, etc.

Tags
Bahamas