Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2021, 15:11   #46

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36
Re: Loop Delaware and Chesapeake Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandwagoneer0 View Post
Yea we had no idea until nasa contacted us on vhf wanting to know our destination and route. We were cruising 5 kts and slowed to 4 and they were good with that. We were going to reef for the night anyway so it worked out perfectly.
Oh, so you were very close... It is amazing how far out you can see night launches. That launch was visible over entire eastern seaboard. People in Florida could pic it up after 90 seconds. I have seen night launches that took off in Florida from my home in Southeastern Pa (it depends on the launch tractory)

https://twitter.com/NASA_Wallops/sta...358529/photo/1
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 15:25   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishzine View Post
Thanks for the data points. 6 Days seemed quick for how I want to go. I am figuring 10-14 Days, but I am also planning on a much longer ocean leg heading out to the canyons about 70-100 miles offshore to hopefully snag a tuna or two. I am figuring I will need 48 hours for my off-shore leg alone. That said, not sure two weeks is doable for this year so might be looking to compress down to the 7-8 days too.

I would have loved to seen the Wallops island launch, I know they kept delaying it so wasn't something you could easily plan to seeing.
We did a lazy sail where we wanted to spend a day or so here and there.

We started by heading to Chesapeake City. We tried to leave nice an early, but alas, the low tide kept us inside for a few hours. We did not realize the entrance at low tide would be 4-5' depth. Regardless, we had a nice evening the night before!

From there we headed down the Deleware to Lewes. We were there a few days tied up at the City of Lewes Canalfront Park Marina & City Dock. We walked about a bit, had a nice meal across the bridge (I forget the restaurant name now). I had a few last minute items that needed addressed as well.

Monday the 7th I believe we departed and headed out into the Atlantic, we turned and headed down the coast. We'd thought that family friends were be there around 100th street in OC, but for the first time in decades (thanks 'rona) they chose not to be there in 2020. Took pictures and sailed throughout the day and overnight. We actually motored overnight, the wind had sputtered. We slowed down a bit too, we didn't want to enter too early in the dark (first time nerves) combined with the desire to actually see the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel too. Early the following morning we went under the bridge, and during that time we decided to bypass Cape Charles and just keep going because the wind was nice and blowing us right on up the Bay.

34 hours later, we thought we might make the Potomac, but because we slowed down overnight we didn't and didn't care. We put in at Reedsville. We had no idea it was actually kind of a thing, or so I've heard since. We looked around on Google maps, but everything was closed. Anyway, during that night the rain came, drizzly into the morning as I recall too.

Departed next morning bound for Solomons Island where we anchored and puttered around for a couple days. Most things were closed, but not all, so we followed the protocols and had a decent few days exploring and sampling local restaurants as we like to do. It rained off and on.

A few days later we headed north again for Annapolis. That day it rained off and on hard a few times, but good ol' autopilot helped us a lot. I forget how long we anchored in Annapolis, but from there is was back to Middle River where it began.

We'd only had the boat 6 months at that point, and we were super happy and fired up about it!
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 15:36   #48

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
For all.

Check out the Salty Dawg Sailing Association.

There is a rally https://www.saltydawgsailing.org/delmarva-rally. Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.

This is a great group. We’ve been members since 2016. They provide planning, great assistance, community.
Wish we could join that cruise!
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay