Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 07:31   #1

Los Roques safe or not

We are about to leave Grenada headed for Panama and were going to have the first stop at Los Roques. Just looking for some current information on how safe it is (pirates). We have heard both sides and are aware of what's going on in Venezuela. Some people are saying stay away and some have friends that live there and say its ok no problems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
ShadandLolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 08:07   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Los Roques safe or not

Last season we went from Grenada to Bonaire skipping Los Roques. We met a french flagged boat that stop and they loved it and felt safe. As an American on an American boat I personally would avoid it.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 08:09   #3

Boat: Norseman 447

American boat here, we stop there in 2015 and had a great time for a few weeks. Very safe
Old 22-12-2019, 08:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ShadandLolo.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 08:47   #5

Boat: Island Packet 370

We spent this last hurricane season in Grenada and know of a boat that traveled to Bonaire with a stop in Los Toques and they spoke positively of the island. They did pass on that when they checked into Bonaire and the authorities found out that they had stopped in Venezuela they weren't going to let them enter the country. They were told they would have to go to Columbia first and then return. Somehow they were able to find some way to get in without going to Columbia first but they described certainly were concerned about the possibility of not being let into the country. We too are looking to go to Bonaire so followed there travels with interest.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Grand Banks 46

The situation in Vz is a power keg waiting for a spark. As an American I would never return to Los Roques at this time. The people are desperate and the police are corrupt. Nothing good could become of stopping there these days.
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:56   #7

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4cocokai View Post
American boat here, we stop there in 2015 and had a great time for a few weeks. Very safe
A lot has changed in Venezuela in nearly 5 years. I would strongly suggest more current information.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 11:36   #8

Boat: Outremer 51

First, check your insurance. Mine excluded coverage in Venezuela.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 16:14   #9

the risk is not so much from pirates ( altho fishermen will take advantage in isolation) , or better said it's from "pirate" officials. DO NOT GO ZONE by insurance companies for a reason. why risk your boat ? "VZ officials" can claim whatever they want. you are hostage, powerless and there are no longer ANY consulates operating, even on the mainland to save your bacon with whatever regime is in charge,. now is not the time to stop there. it has happened to others, just give it a pass.
seriousailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 17:39   #10

Boat: Freedom 32

Make a visit to noon site.com get the latest.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 02:34   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousailor View Post
... you are hostage, powerless and there are no longer ANY consulates operating, even on the mainland to save your bacon with whatever regime is in charge,. now is not the time to stop there. it has happened to others, just give it a pass.
Indeed
For instance, the Embassy of Canada to Venezuela in Caracas has temporarily suspended its operations. You can obtain consular assistance and information from the Embassy of Canada to Colombia, in Bogotá.
https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affa...venezuela.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 04:02   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I know 4 boats that went there in 2018 on their way to the ABCs, we passed it and kept on going as we had family arriving in Curacao. 3 of boats went their by choice and had an incredible time. The 4th was towed their with damage. They too said the local people were fantastic but were constantly afraid the government would show up and create issues for them. The other 3 boats 2 of which were US flagged had no such concerns.
I believe there can be the potential risk for a negative event to occur nearly anywhere we go. Sometimes the rewards may justify the risk. From what we heard from those who visited, it was worth it.
After all Cruising is not without inherent risk and as they say
"Life begins Outside your comfort zone"
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 06:15   #13

I spent 2 weeks there in November 2017 and I would rate it as one of best places to visit in the Caribbean. All the people we met were friendly and helpful even the government officials. Not once did I get a sense that an American flagged boat was not wanted there. Before I went I asked around and checked Noonsite and found that several boats stopped there and had no problems. Because most people see the Los Roques as a risk if you do go you will have the islands to yourself - I would describe it as the Bahamas without any other boats. Los Aves are also worth visiting.
AnchSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 06:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4cocokai View Post

Very safe. We've always made a stop in Gran Roque on our passages thru the area. I still have many friends that live, fish and dive there. It's not dangerous like Margarita or the mainland. Too much bad press has undermined the tourism business.
https://www.noonsite.com/place/venezuela/los-roques/
Old 24-12-2019, 06:20   #15

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Conditions two years ago may not be much like conditions now. Things have deteriorated a great deal since November 2017, economically and politically. In the words of the late Bob Marley: “A hungry mob is an angry mob”.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote