Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 16:11   #31

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
Re: Luperon DR

Good to read this stuff. Been off the boat for almost 5 years and just outfitting another boat for the Bahamas to the T and C's then on to the DR for the blow season. Was concerned about the anchorage and surrounding area. Price I am still wondering as seems the noonsite/CSS sites have changed so wondering what check in amounts are. We are in Corpus Christi municipal Marina now and hope to leave in 2 weeks or so. As stated, Bahamas and T and C's to work to DR. Really would appreciate any info of DR. check in procedures and any graft we will encounter. Many thanks beforehand.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:51   #32

there have been a couple of security type events there recently. here are some links.

seems all the bad guys might not be in jail

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/incident-2449-2/

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/incident-2436-2/
seriousailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:05   #33

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

On another note cars get stolen in West Hartford Ct, multiple times every month, as well as home burglaries, and that is in a very well to do town in central Ct with an excellent school system.
There are really no places on this planet that are free of crime, it can happen any where, and does. I am not making lite of the issue, just adding perspective. America is a place where gun crime happens every day, and many think it’s a good place to live, and you know, it is a good place to live, even with all the crime that happens every day.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:17   #34

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
On another note cars get stolen in West Hartford Ct, multiple times every month, as well as home burglaries, and that is in a very well to do town in central Ct with an excellent school system.
There are really no places on this planet that are free of crime, it can happen any where, and does. I am not making lite of the issue, just adding perspective. America is a place where gun crime happens every day, and many think it’s a good place to live, and you know, it is a good place to live, even with all the crime that happens every day.

Fair winds,

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/

From the article:

Quote:
1Violent crime in the U.S. has fallen sharply over the past quarter century. The two most commonly cited sources of crime statistics in the U.S. both show a substantial decline in the violent crime rate since it peaked in the early 1990s.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:15   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder what is “in it” for people with no real knowledge or having done any real investigation to post on this thread trying to suggest Luperon is some type of crime infested war zone?

The crime there pales compared to any US “big” city. Heck compared to the 10 square block are my daughter lives in Jacksonville Fl you are probably safer walking around Luperon with $20 bills just hanging out of your pocket. Luperon like most small towns has mostly small petty property crimes and everything thing I have read from those actually there suggests a cruiser is much safer than a local.
Old 05-02-2020, 13:56   #36

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
If you want to throw stats around, The crime situation is evidently so out of hand in America that we incarcerate more of our own citizens than any other country on Earth. (Google), more than the communist dictatorships of Russia or China, and both those countries persecute the hell out of their populations.

Luperon is no less safe than the vast majority of places one can go to in America.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 18:11   #37

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I spent three weeks there last year and loved it, petty theft... sunglasses may have been stolen or I could just have been too drunk. Nice expat infrastructure, everything is cheap. The ‘officials’ weren’t too bad. I can’t wait to go back again.

Also I never planned to go I had heard it called pooperon because of the water. But headed in there because of the weather, best time ever.

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:24   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
If you want to throw stats around, The crime situation is evidently so out of hand in America that we incarcerate more of our own citizens than any other country on Earth ...
Each year, millions of people across the world find themselves in jail without being convicted of anything, often for months at a time (sometime years), as they await trial.
As a result of these high pretrial detention rates, 10 to 40 percent of the entire incarcerated population is behind bars without a conviction in most countries in the Americas.
In the U.S., which has the largest pretrial detention population in the world, 20 percent of detainees eventually had their case dismissed or were acquitted.
For over a decade, jails across Canada have held more adults awaiting trial, than convicted offenders serving sentences, even as the number of adults charged with a crime declined, according to a Statistics Canada report*.
* ➥ https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../14691-eng.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:05   #39
CLOD

See, Luperon is safer than Canada.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:09   #40

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
See, Luperon is safer than Canada.
👍
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:26   #41

Boat: Valiant 40

I've been in Luperon for about six months. Came for hurricane season and stayed for a few birtjdays, weddings, etc. Heading out next week but will be back for next hurricane season. A few experiences to put it in perspective.

I did not lock my boat for five months. Never a problem.

I've never locked my dinghy at the town dinghy dock and have left it there until late in the evening.

The reported thefts...one was the delivery crew itself, the second was most likely another cruiser in the harbor. Both boats were unlocked.

I bought a motorcycle here and have been all over on it. The countryside is gorgeous from the mountains to the coast and there are endless day trip possibilities. I bought the bike for $1000 and will sell it for $800. Cheap transportation.

The harbor water is certainly not pristine but people swim in it without issue. The closer to the mouth of the harbor you get the cleaner it is.

The harbor is protected by a swan neck "s" curve in the entrance channel. You can hear 10' swells thundering on the outside beach and it's blowing 30 knots but the harbor is flat as a board. Very comfortable in that respect.

Pretty much everything is stupid cheap here. For example a three wheel margarita ride for a few miles is 50 pesos. A three piece fried chicken dinner with fries is 100 pesos. A bottle of rum is 300 pesos.

The local yard is secure, has a concrete pad throughout, and can haul anything up to 30 tons. Materials can be hard to get but there is always a way.

There is local "corruption" but it is so stupidly minor as to be laughable. They might try and get you for another 5 bucks for the tourist card when you check in. That sort of thing.

Quite a few day sail and overnight opportunities up and down the coast from here, including some spectacular beaches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190825_133218813.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	208248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200115_092939071_HDR.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	208249Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191106-WA0003.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	208250
Old 06-02-2020, 06:49   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW: 1 Dominican Peso equals 0.019 United States Dollar
100 Peso chicken dinner = $1.90

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:16   #43

Boat: Defever 48'

It's not that there isn't crime in the USA there is of course but the difference is that crime is prosecuted in the USA unlike many other Caribbean countries! Go in a store in FL and rob it with a gun and you'll get 20 years. They've yet to try and prosecute the person's involved in the murder of a German cruiser in St Lucia several years ago!
Jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:50   #44
CLOD

This isn't the St Lucia thread
Old 20-04-2020, 07:01   #45
PBM

We are in Luperon as Puerto Blanco Marina and as management we live-on-board our own boat out in the bay. You cannot trust everything you read as there are always two stories, if not 3. If you on FB join the Luperon DR Cruisers group and also the Dominican Republic Cruisers FB groups for loads of up to date info.
PBM is offline   Reply With Quote