Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2021, 15:39   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Mail service/live aboard Virginia

So I know people often ask this question, but searches usually lead to the wonderful service of SBI in Florida. I am going to be residing in Virginia initially. So I am wondering what service people living on boats in Virginia employ. I am not willing to use a relative (the children seem to move too often)

I am told by my real estate agent that my house will sell in a day, or within a week so I would like to have something set up before putting the house on the market. I do not want to be homeless without a propper forwarding address and I will need to update my drivers license etc.

Are there mail services to allow for legal, employment, and banking documents to be sent to? Packages? Etc.

I will not have the boat imeadiately. So I will be renting rooms or ab&b while shopping for a boat.

Are there similar services similar to SBI in Virginia? If not what is your work around?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 15:47   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Mail service/live aboard Virginia

If your house will sell in a day, don't sell it especially if the reason is to buy a depreciating boat! (that you might not even like living on)

Buy a cheap boat and sail the bay for a couple summers and figure it out.

Cal 31 PHRF 156

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...280213221.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 15:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
So I know people often ask this question, but searches usually lead to the wonderful service of SBI in Florida. I am going to be residing in Virginia initially. So I am wondering what service people living on boats in Virginia employ. I am not willing to use a relative (the children seem to move too often)

I am told by my real estate agent that my house will sell in a day, or within a week so I would like to have something set up before putting the house on the market. I do not want to be homeless without a propper forwarding address and I will need to update my drivers license etc.

Are there mail services to allow for legal, employment, and banking documents to be sent to? Packages? Etc.

I will not have the boat imeadiately. So I will be renting rooms or ab&b while shopping for a boat.

Are there similar services similar to SBI in Virginia? If not what is your work around?
Simple rent a box at your local UPS Store. They will text you if something arrives.

Reference:

https://www.theupsstore.com/mailboxe...%20your%20mail.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 16:00   #4

With all due respect Thom. I don't like my house, or it's location. It has always been cooked into my plan that the sale of the house would provide the purchase of my boat. Rest assured that I'm not a total idiot and that I have other assets. Also read this-

://www.huffpost.com/entry/buying-house-not-great-investment_l_60427c37c5b69078ac6af8bc

But thank you for your concern.
Old 30-03-2021, 16:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Simple rent a box at your local UPS Store. They will text you if something arrives.

Reference:

Thank you! So simple. Most questions asked are answered on the first page of threads. Case in point 😉
Old 30-03-2021, 16:29   #6

I promise I will not be a dock queen, if that consoles your soul.
Old 30-03-2021, 18:57   #7

Boat: Kenner, Privateer, 41ft

Service called. imail they scan all mail and email u than you choose what letters you want opened and scanned so you can read contents of letter. They can forward mail and packages also most UPS stores and mail box stores offer this service gives you ability to have a mailing adfress.
Old 31-03-2021, 09:01   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Reference:

UPS store account is great for packages and you get a mail box similar to a PO box at Post Office. We keep ours busy for Amazon packages when we're in town and with a phone call they can forward for you when you're out of town (just pay the shipping cost, similar to if you were shipping from there).

For cruisers who need a more robust mail service that can scan, forward, even deposit checks, we use www.travelingmailbox.com

They provide a street address in the area of your choice that you can use for your documentation as well.

So our system is UPS store for packages when in town (@3 times a year) and Traveling Mailbox for ALL our mail. I love hitting the "Delete" button for junk mail and rarely need to physically touch anything as it all gets scanned digitally.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 09:05   #9

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

A word of caution....

If you have a friend or relative close by in Virginia you may want to use their address temporarily OR have the USPS to forward your mail to a UPS PO Box until you have established an address using a marina where you keep your boat.

It is very difficult not having an established physical address. Some companies refuse to ship to a PO address. Some credit card companies will not honor credit cards to SBI or PO addresses. What about financial transaction like loans or taxes. How about drivers license or voting registration?

You would be surprised at the challenges of not having a dirt home address.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 09:23   #10

The virtual mailbox services seem like a great solution for mail and packages but as far as I can tell they are not viable addresses for things like a driver license or passport. Does a marina address work for a license and passport? Other than friends and family what are other solutions to that part of the issue?
watersmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 10:38   #11

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:

You don't need to live in FL to use SBI, that's kind of the point. If you are going to be in one place, VA or wherever, it might make sense to rent a box locally (USPS, UPS, etc.) but once you start moving you'll want a good full service remailer like SBI. I run my whole life through SBI it's pretty easy.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 10:40   #12

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

https://expertvagabond.com/best-virt...ilbox-service/
Old 31-03-2021, 11:43   #13

One can use a physical address such as a liveaboard marina for things like establishing residency for taxation, voting and licenses, social benefits, but those also are availed a mailing address which is separate from the physical address.

Now if one is a perpetual cruiser then a physical address becomes more "creative". One has to determine where you will intend to return to, that of course being a place one had previously had situs with.

Definition of nomad
1: a member of a people who have no fixed residence but move from place to place usually seasonally and within a well-defined territory

An informative reference article: Note things become complex from the legal standing perspective.

https://gnomadhome.com/domicile-for-nomads/

Snipet:

What is a domicile? Domicile is a legal term that refers to the place you intend to make your permanent home, and the place you intend to return to after temporary absences. Your domicile is the state where you “live,” pay taxes, have a driver’s license, obtain health insurance, register your vehicles, and conduct your banking. It is different from your residence – because while you may have multiple residences, you can only have one domicile.

The intent part is particularly important here, especially if you’re thinking about changing your domicile state. If you just get a mailing address in a new state but still maintain bank accounts, a driver’s license, and voter registration in your old state, it will be tough to prove that you actually intend to switch your domicile.

In order to make a solid case of your domicile intent, you need to do much more – obtain a driver’s license, register your vehicle, register to vote, switch your banking over, get insurance, and set up as many personal and professional ties as possible. You also need to do everything you can to break any such ties to your old state.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 13:41   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I promise I will not be a dock queen, if that consoles your soul.
Great, but you don't really know that yet unless you have been down this road before.

Is this your first or fourth sailboat?

How often did you use the other ones?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 18:18   #15

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Great, but you don't really know that yet unless you have been down this road before.

Is this your first or fourth sailboat?

How often did you use the other ones?

Back off and quit picking a fight.

Tags
service