Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 06:47   #1

Maine - floating docks or large launch

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to sail the Maine coast again this summer with my father. My father's balance is not as good as in the past so using piers or a tender are not good options.

I need to find marinas with floating docks or harbors with moorings and also a large launch (similar to Crosby 26).

Looking from Casco Bay east to SW Harbor.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kevin
kevincook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 07:49   #2

Re: Maine - floating docks or large launch

Your first problem is that Maine has far fewer marinas than farther south. And rental moorings don't typically come with launch service. The only one I can think of offhand with a launch like a Crosby 26 is Handy Boat in Falmouth Forside.

But if there is a marina dock, it's likely to have a float as the 15ft tides make climbing a pier face at low tide difficult for anyone. But those floats also mean a long steep climb up a gangway at low tide that might challenge your father too. The longer the gangway the less steep. You could use Google Earth to estimate the gangway length.

My favorite "base of operations" is Rockland. They have several marinas with floating docks. It's a nice town to walk around in that will be easy for your father. Rockland Public Landing has two gangways - the newer of which is very long and easy to negotiate. They need it as a small 100 passenger cruise ship docks there one night a week. Some of these passengers are quite elderly. Northeast Harbor has a very nice marina too and access to the free National Park Services busses that would be easy for your father.

But you will miss a lot of what makes Maine a great cruising destination if you limit yourself to marinas. I would consider mounting a handrail in your dinghy. This allows you to come into a beach or float and step over the dinghy tube while still holding the bar. It makes all the difference. If you're over 50, you might find yourself using it too Something like this: Ding-EZ Home
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:27   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

Wayfarer Marine in Camden has launch service. Carousel Marina in Boothbay has floating docks. There are floating docks in Southwest Harbor and Northeast Harbor on Mount Desert Island. DiMillo's Marina and Portland Yacht Services in Portland have floating cocks, as do Brewer's Marina in Freeport and Dolphin Marina in Harpswell. That's just a few that come to mind, I'm sure as missed some.
Old 20-02-2017, 13:20   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Great Island boat yard has floating docks and the moorings have a pretty big launch available. It is in Harpswell. We loved it there.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, loa, maine