Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 06:29   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
Send a message via Skype™ to twellsjd
Make Home in Chesapeake

Our home port is on Lake Champlain in Vermont. In our slow but sure exploration of the "known world" my evolving plan (I am studying the guides and asking for advice here now) is to keep our Hunter 36 in the Chesapeake this winter. We will arrive in August and keep it on in the bay until the Fall of 2012 then head down the ICW. I am looking for recommendations of great marinas to hang out for awhile and ultimately to spend the winter. I am open to suggestions in both the upper and lower bays. We are, alas, not full time crusiers and must come home for long periods to work. A marina in a great town for land exploration as well is a great plus.
twellsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 06:37   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Make home in Chesapeake

On the lower Bay, I'd suggest Olverson's Lodge Creek Marina. It's off the Potomac River at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Great rates and quite a few full time cruisers spend their summers there before heading back south for the winter.
Old 24-04-2011, 06:41   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Living in upstate NY I understand its appeal. I don't know if you've sailed in the Chesapeake much, but they do have a much longer sailing season. It is easily April through November, and some sail year 'round, particularly in the southern bay. On the other hand, there are winters when Annapolis harbor is iced over, and everywhere can see snow, so don't plan on being down there at Christmas in your bathing suit. Sounds obvious, but I would drive or sail around a bit and check out things before committing to a particular area. Places like Annapolis have a lot going on, but prices are higher and it is busy in the summer. The Eastern Shore has both active towns like St. Michaels and Oxford, and sleepy fishing villages. Driving time from Vermont to the Eastern Shore is much less than to the southern Virginia shore, but it is also significantly warmer down there in the winter. Watch out for the Maryland sales/use tax. I believe it applies whether or not you've paid sales/use tax elsewhere. Better check into the latest on that before committing.
Old 24-04-2011, 07:26   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Lots and lots to choose from on The Bay. Here's a website that has a bunch of marina info, plus aerial photos and an interactive map: Maryland Marinas - MD Marinas, United States

You can also use it to find marinas in Virginia.
Old 24-04-2011, 07:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

To the north end, we like Havre De Grace. We've also enjoyed spending lengths of time in Baltimore, Annaoplis, Solomons Island. Our favorite on the Eastern Shore is Chestertown. The marinas in Wharton Creek provide near access to Chestertown if you have a car. To the south end we favor Portsmouth, but Hampton and Norfolk have much to offer.
Old 27-04-2011, 15:42   #6

Re: Make Home in Chesapeake

My husband is currently moving our boat "home" to the Chesapeake (from Marathon, Florida - so there is now an empty "slip" at our friend's place, of which the rates are GREAT (relatively speaking; similar to Deltaville, VA), so if anyone wants the contact info. for a place just off of Boot Key Harbor, near the seven mile bridge, let me know)...anyways, we are going to Salt Ponds in Hampton as the facility is really nice, and the rates are good, and no taxes, etc....while a VERY different area than Deltaville, Annapolis, or such, we are really looking forward to the easy hop over to Cape Charles, etc, and other eastern shore towns and bay sailing, plus spending time in Williamsburg, VA Beach, etc....lots of history, and we have children, so the beach, Norfolk, "city stuff" will be good. We also have some friends who have kept boats there and have been more than happy....it's not too far from the airport in Hampton Roads (Airtran flies there)....by the way, Salt Ponds offers a short walk (3 minutes or so!) to a sandy "bay" beach, as well as bands, etc....again, not a quaint sailing town, but lots to do, very nice facility, and reasonably priced....and live aboards....
Joalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:51   #7

twellsjd-

We really like the upper bay (closer to our land-locked home).

We sail out of Herrington Harbour North.

Herrington has good amenities, several convenient local restaurants within a short walk from the dock. Calypso bay is right on the dock. Also Skippers Pier and Dock Bar are short dinghy ride across the harbour.

We are a short day sail over to Tilghman Island and Knapps Narrows.

And a long day sail to St. Michaels or Annapolis.

There are many great locations on the Chesapeake Bay.

Best,
DJ
Coolruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:03   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolruns View Post
twellsjd-

We really like the upper bay (closer to our land-locked home).

We sail out of Herrington Harbour North.

Herrington has good amenities, several convenient local restaurants within a short walk from the dock. Calypso bay is right on the dock. Also Skippers Pier and Dock Bar are short dinghy ride across the harbour.

We are a short day sail over to Tilghman Island and Knapps Narrows.

And a long day sail to St. Michaels or Annapolis.

There are many great locations on the Chesapeake Bay.

Best,
DJ
Having sailed all over the Bay many times, I've got to admit that the central section, south of the Bay Bridge, is my favorite too. There is more within a day's sail and the ends aren't too far.

There's more on my blog, mostly under the trip report tab:
Sail Delmarva: Trip Reports

But everyone is going to have different tastes.